Mental Health Forums

So Called Former Borderlines Are Really Full Of Bs

foreverborderline

This is still going on?

I truly hope nobody believes that recovery is impossible. bpd is a 'mental illness', and imo like any illness, you can get better. It may never go away, and could be possibly dorment for the remainder of your life, but i still think you can get it under control to the point where as some have said they do not any longer meet the requirements of criteria for bpd.

I'm only 22, so i'm refusing to believe that recovery is impossible. thinking that i'll have to deal with "this" (depression, paranoia, anxiety, etc) for another 20+ years can be depressing, so i'm keeping as positive an attitude as i can. i'm seeing this as a challenge for which failure is not an option. (atm anyways, hopefully i can keep this positive attitude going for longer than a day haha)

I agree hun, and the most important thing is a positive attitude. You are young why shouldn't you enjoy everything you want in life.

thanks! i think that goes for everyone, though. i get mad reallyyyyy easily (too easily imo, haha), and when others are around me angry or anxious, it's really contagious i find so i try to stay positive.

Yes I have made it sound like older people don't have the right to enjoy what they want in life! :lol:

I more accurately meant that when you are younger whole adult life ahead of you, whether BPD is curable or not, follow your dreams and don't be drowned in a negativity which I think the "label" BPD can sometimes be.

I do agree with all I said, except the moderators at the time went through most of my posts and hid them (little over moderated) but no I stick by what I said, I have not had an impulsive episode, self harmed since may 6th 2009 and I always remember that date as the biggest stage in my recovery, I have healthy friendships now - going to new york next wednesday with friends.

I have changed since coming to this site though, but I definitely don't even feel I have bpd - sometimes the symptoms can raise their ugly heads but I keep on (habit now) doing my old theraputic techniques that I learned and I am fine.

I have recovered and yes it was difficult and one if the worst times in my life I spent 4 years in a secure unit but now I am happy and I love life and yes I still have days that aren't so good but everyone does don't they?

I have recovered and yes it was difficult and one if the worst times in my life I spent 4 years in a secure unit but now I am happy and I love life and yes I still have days that aren't so good but everyone does don't they?

This is really good to hear, both for you and for others. I think online, sometimes its easy to forget that mostly, the ones who have recovered and are leading happy lives dont actually COME to mental health sites anymore, so its easy to look around and only see people who are still stuck, still suffering and conclude there is no escape.

This site thankfully has a number of recoverees who have stuck around, most notably the site owner Josh (who wrote a book about his journey), but also one of our american mods, AndyL. Every day I read about people making the very small steps that go together to make up a more overall change and recovery, such as one of our users who has been self-harm free for over a year.

As you say, it can take a very long time. I am glad you feel so different :)

Guntarded makes some really good statements. The individual has to WANT to get help in order to be helped. I wish I could get help. Since my diagnosis of BPD (probably six years ago now) all I get treated for is depression. I see my psychiatrist once a month for an hour. All we ever talk about is what has been going on since my last visit. She wants me to join group therapy (not with other BPD's). I am a VERY private person and feel that individual therapy is better than group. I do not get what one gets out of group therapy especially when you are not with people of your own kind if you know what I mean. Am I too closed off?

YAY love to reading this, :)

Guntarded makes some really good statements. The individual has to WANT to get help in order to be helped. I wish I could get help. Since my diagnosis of BPD (probably six years ago now) all I get treated for is depression. I see my psychiatrist once a month for an hour. All we ever talk about is what has been going on since my last visit. She wants me to join group therapy (not with other BPD's). I am a VERY private person and feel that individual therapy is better than group. I do not get what one gets out of group therapy especially when you are not with people of your own kind if you know what I mean. Am I too closed off?

Maybe hun. I have done alot of groups about to start a new one on Thursday. I have also had alot of 1-1 therapy. My feelings have always been if it is offered, snatch the chance. Anything I can learn any way I can see things differently can only expand my views and give me more tools to live with.

Hi ClaireMarie,

Thank you for your initial feedback on my post, I rarely get them. You are closed off, as I think you already know and to be honest it is perfectly understandable - group therapy terrified me. I remember when I initially started my therapy (CBT), that I was supposed to go into group therapy right away, but I had been assaulted september 2008 whilst on a date (won't go into this any further) and I only told this forum and the "last" individual session I had with the group coordinator (seen her 1-2-1 for 3 weeks previously). I was then seen on a weekly basis by two counselors, one a psychiatrist nurse and the other the psychologist - who was the group therapy coordinator for 9 months as going into group would never be possible, I was too fragile.

After 9 months, and dealing with what had happened to me to then try and deal with the underlining issues of my BPD, I was asked about group therapy and yes I said I would do it - but it scared me the shit out of me. I was anxious and I panicked about it. For the first 4 weeks of group therapy I could not talk - just said I was okay. But then when someone mentioned about sexual abuse, I was triggered, I ran out of the therapy 30 minutes into it, and cried in a toilet nearby hard. And yeah this is one thing group therapy does to you, it does trigger you - people's experiences, people coming in with bandages around their wrists and you know what they have done, fighting the urges yourself. I don't say these things to put you. or anyone off group therapy. It is very difficult, but after a few years being in it, it was what I needed. I also had individual weekly psychotherapy too with the group therapy (2 and half hours per week). I discovered things about myself - my benhaviours, I, who was abused in different ways, got to analyse my own behaviours and see that I too had become an abuser - not sexual or physical, but my manipulative behaviour meant that I was mentally abusing others, I saw aspects of myself that needed to be changed. I took these observations into my group therapy and I was able to discuss them, and in turn it helped others recognise their own behaviours and we discussed ways of changing our behaviours, instead of doing this manipative action, we could do x y and z - and the input of 9 other people - people you come to know well enough, helps so much.

I won't go on and on about my therapy sessions, but I can talk about them if you wish at a later date.

I do think that people with BPD can recover, as can alcoholics. The only difference is we are more prone to have relapses, and recovery for us is not a cure. It's about keeping up that hard work continuously and challenging ourselves all the time. I hope one day that I will get to that stage, but I know its going to be a long hard road before I even come close.

Thread revived, but thankfully there was a successful Drama Prevention Exercise carried out this time. Drama Llama did her job! :)

Did Robin really wear those ... y-fronts? I mean I know superheroes wear pants over their trousers (or briefs over their pants, for our american users), but did they actually just, y;know, wear pants ... on their own? That looks extremely dodgy.

He wore very tight yellow leggings........I think the pic is supposed to depict that, but with all the other shades of yellow, it's hard to make out.

Archived