Mental Health Forums

Discovery By Employer

Octavian10

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that they do not victimise you. Depression is a common condition, many people suffer with it. Are you in a union? If not, could you join one?

I hope that they do not victimise you. Depression is a common condition, many people suffer with it. Are you in a union? If not, could you join one?

I am in a union. But that will not prevent my employer from dismissing or disciplining me on conduct grounds. Whatever the union will do will only happen after the employer has struck.

I am in a union. But that will not prevent my employer from dismissing or disciplining me on conduct grounds. Whatever the union will do will only happen after the employer has struck.

But if you don't commit any acts of misconduct, there will be no grounds for dismissal. Having a mental health problem is not misconduct.

Hi, could you have a talk with your union about how to approach your employer about reasonable adjustments to help manage work and depression, ie starting later, having regular breaks, having regular meetings with manager to check you are coping, there are some organisations out there who can give advice and most statutory organisations have policies on at least how to support people with stress. Depends on your employer I guess, but I would think its worth talking to the union before your employer has a chance to do anything.

I have also acted with anger a fair few time, fortunately have got away with it, not sure why luck I think, people have attributed it to stress and the help of colleagues who take me away from situations. could do with better strategies for this myself.

I have been a victim of bullying when depressed and therefore not working at my best in the past and talking it through with someone from the union helped me somewhat, eg bullying only happened when no one else there, I was expected to meet standards others werent etc, they helped me logged things and would have even come to meetings if i needed it, fortunately for me the manager left. but it was shit so I do sympathise. xx

Hi, could you have a talk with your union about how to approach your employer about reasonable adjustments to help manage work and depression, ie starting later, having regular breaks, having regular meetings with manager to check you are coping,

My union has backed out and is not supporting me any more.

there are some organisations out there who can give advice and most statutory organisations have policies on at least how to support people with stress. Depends on your employer I guess, but I would think its worth talking to the union before your employer has a chance to do anything.

I do not know of any such organisations.

I have also acted with anger a fair few time, fortunately have got away with it, not sure why luck I think, people have attributed it to stress and the help of colleagues who take me away from situations. could do with better strategies for this myself.

I have not acted in anger at all. I am just being trapped and victimized.

I have been a victim of bullying when depressed and therefore not working at my best in the past and talking it through with someone from the union helped me somewhat, eg bullying only happened when no one else there, I was expected to meet standards others werent etc, they helped me logged things and would have even come to meetings if i needed it, fortunately for me the manager left. but it was shit so I do sympathise. xx

Nobody is leaving in my case. All they have done is left me in the lurch. And now the union has abandoned me too

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=797

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HealthAndSupport/MentalHealth/DG_10023351

You sound quite angry maybe I am wrong, cant see how a union can back out on a case of harrassment of bullying and mental health, other than the case is difficult to prove, ie ist your word against them.

anyway here are a few sites, other than that i am sorry I dontt know how to help other than going to citizen advcie or a solicitor, only trying to help because whilst you suggest my situation was easier it led to a full breakdown and hospitalisation hun, so do take care xx

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=797

ACAS is a useless fraudulent and pointless organisation

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HealthAndSupport/MentalHealth/DG_10023351

I did not find any help on that site either.

You sound quite angry maybe I am wrong, cant see how a union can back out on a case of harrassment of bullying and mental health, other than the case is difficult to prove, ie ist your word against them.

The union's help is discretionary. That is why they backed out. It may come as news to you but if one is the wrong colour or the wrong religion anything is possible in the UK. That is how my present predicament has come about.

anyway here are a few sites, other than that i am sorry I dontt know how to help other than going to citizen advcie or a solicitor, only trying to help because whilst you suggest my situation was easier it led to a full breakdown and hospitalisation hun, so do take care xx

I have asked CAB but they are not helping either. Is this all the support I can get on this web-site?

I am wondering perhaps if you are a bit paranoid. I don't mean this as a criticism, its just you seem to think that everyone is against you. According to you, your employer is about to fire you, your Union won't help you and discriminates on the basis of colour/religion (I'd have thought a trade union would be the LAST sort of people to do that), the CAB won't help you and ACAS (who have been around in one form or another since 1896) are fraudulent.

I am wondering perhaps if you are a bit paranoid.

I have been told that before. But neither does it change the facts.

I don't mean this as a criticism, its just you seem to think that everyone is against you.

Even if I did not think like that the reality would stay the same.

According to you, your employer is about to fire you, your Union won't help you and discriminates on the basis of colour/religion

My employer has fired me already and my union is refusing to support me yet again.

(I'd have thought a trade union would be the LAST sort of people to do that),

That is not true. My trade union is the British Medical Association (BMA). It is one of the most racist trade unions in UK history.

the CAB won't help you and ACAS (who have been around in one form or another since 1896) are fraudulent.

I can provide documentary evidence to support my assertions.

Well maybe you are not paranoid, in which case I apologise (although, as I said, it wasn't meant as a criticism, I was trying to help).

Have you got a solicitor?

Well maybe you are not paranoid, in which case I apologise (although, as I said, it wasn't meant as a criticism, I was trying to help).

Have you got a solicitor?

No let us frame it like this: I have become paranoid and do not have a solicitor.

I am completely lost here. You say your fears are realistic and backed up with documentary evidence, yet you say you are paranoid. How are these things compatible?

people are giving you advice as you've asked for but let alone you are refusing there suggestions. we are trying to help but you keep backfiring with comments to make excuses that you wont contact them.

ask yourself what is it you want from us?

I am wondering perhaps if you are a bit paranoid.

I have been told that before. But neither does it change the facts.

I don't mean this as a criticism, its just you seem to think that everyone is against you.

Even if I did not think like that the reality would stay the same.

But paranoia could reframe the facts.

What are the union, etc saying are their grounds for not supporting you?

I don't really understand this situation. What were your employer's grounds for sacking you? They can't just sack you because they discovered you have depression. Millions work with depression. Had you been off sick, or been involved in a disciplinary?

I think if you were a bit more specific you would get more support here. It does feel to me that you are very angry, and I sense it is not only to do with work.

I hope you are able to resolve your issues tho.

Take care

ACAS are not shit. thay will look ta the facts given to them. unions are not shit, your rep maybe a lazy sod who is unwilling to do his or her job. . go find another one or join a different union.

like UNISION which is the NHS one which i know is good and will always back the employyee to the hilt.

ACAS rule 1 is all you need to use. ie have you been hired and fired in line with that and if not you have a case.

ACAS are not shit. thay will look ta the facts given to them. unions are not shit, your rep maybe a lazy sod who is unwilling to do his or her job. . go find another one or join a different union.

like UNISION which is the NHS one which i know is good and will always back the employyee to the hilt.

ACAS rule 1 is all you need to use. ie have you been hired and fired in line with that and if not you have a case.

There is an ongoing Tribunal claim and I have received no help from ACAS in that context. My sacking was over a conduct issue so my employers skirted around the mental health grounds. UNISON is only for nursing/paramedical staff ,i.e. it does not help doctors. It is the BMA which represents doctors and they are being racist as usual. I do not know what rule 1 is but have answered the ACAS issue already.

idiot!

Could you clarify who or what it is you are calling an idiot as your remark has prompted a member of the community to report your post.

I am intrigued here, Josh... is it allowable to call some people an idiot, and not others? Otherwise, why do you need to ask who the remark is directed ask in order to decide which action to take?

idiot!

Could you clarify who or what it is you are calling an idiot as your remark has prompted a member of the community to report your post.

I am intrigued here, Josh... is it allowable to call some people an idiot, and not others? Otherwise, why do you need to ask who the remark is directed ask in order to decide which action to take?

he is asking why one of the members why they said idiot on the post on this thread and why they did it cos it got reported

maybe its ok if the member is calling themself an idiot but not ok if they are calling someone else an idiot? idk tho, it looks like the post has been deleted so idk who said it even

Octavian I wouldnt be happy either if i got so little help from people. (i mean the organisations not the people on this forum) not every person in every organisation is helpful tho, sometimes they have a bad day and sometimes they are just not good at their jobs. i hope you find someone who is able to help

I said one impulsive tiny little word not even a swear word, i could have been in any frame of mind when i saw that joshua had decided to "quote it" but all is ok. I made a mistake (calling anyone an idiot) and I received a telling off from Lilly.

my question... if you would so care to explain... is why.... why am I being shown my own little word in a quote when the issue was already dealt with? Can anybody answer that truthfully?

Archived