Mental Health Forums

Bpd And Ocd - How Can I Cope?

channiunique

Hay everyone.

I'm Channi and I'm 19 years old. In November 2010 I was referred to a psychotherapist who diagnosised me after 6 weeks with Borderline Personality Disorder. I already knew that I have OCD. In July 2010 I was prescribed 20mg of Fluoxetine and then within 3 months my prescription was increased to 40mg of Sertraline. I was very worried about the dose so I did not start taking and continued on the Fluoxetine.

In August 2010 I found out that I have Poly-cystic Ovaries. Since finding this out I just feel as though I'm drowning inside. My partner is 17 years older than me and already has 3 sons. He doesn't understand what it is like for me and although I feel down just about every single day, I grin and bear it so that he doesn't have to worry about me. I'm now on 20mg of Citalopram.

I feel as though my life is just awful. I am currently studying with the Open University, Psychology and the Autism Spectrum but at times this is really hard to concentrate on. I really wanted children more than anything in the world but I feel like everyone I really wanted has been taken away from me and I'm so young!

I would really appreciate any help, advice or support that anyone can give. I'm willing to hear from anyone.

I look forward to it

Thanks

xCx

• 1 month later...

Hay everyone.

I'm Channi and I'm 19 years old. In November 2010 I was referred to a psychotherapist who diagnosised me after 6 weeks with Borderline Personality Disorder. I already knew that I have OCD. In July 2010 I was prescribed 20mg of Fluoxetine and then within 3 months my prescription was increased to 40mg of Sertraline. I was very worried about the dose so I did not start taking and continued on the Fluoxetine.

In August 2010 I found out that I have Poly-cystic Ovaries. Since finding this out I just feel as though I'm drowning inside. My partner is 17 years older than me and already has 3 sons. He doesn't understand what it is like for me and although I feel down just about every single day, I grin and bear it so that he doesn't have to worry about me. I'm now on 20mg of Citalopram.

I feel as though my life is just awful. I am currently studying with the Open University, Psychology and the Autism Spectrum but at times this is really hard to concentrate on. I really wanted children more than anything in the world but I feel like everyone I really wanted has been taken away from me and I'm so young!

I would really appreciate any help, advice or support that anyone can give. I'm willing to hear from anyone.

I look forward to it

Thanks

xCx

i have bpd and ocd too... i have 3 kids on top of that so that makes coping that much harder.. you are young still, you have to learn what your coping mechanisms are. I am 35 soon so have learnt over the years how to deal with it - but its ever changing so i have to keep adapting.

Sending you all the strength i have to deal with this :)

hey there

i'm not really sure what to say. i have bpd also and have obsessive thoughts and compulsions so i can relate. i was diagnosed at 18 and for a long time (years in fact) i refused to accept the diagnoses. im 28 next week and it is only in the last year i started to accept the diagnoses.

im so sorry about your situation. i can't imagine what it must be like to maybe not be able to have kids. i have friends in the same situation and i know it devastates them. i have a son so i really cant understand. i guess i just wanted to let you know i have read your post and i hear you. and if you ever want to talk just holler.

hug2.gif

toast xx

• 5 months later...

I to am in a similar boat. I to have been diagnosed with BPD, OCD Anxiety and have PCOS. I don't have any children but we are/ have been trying. Hang in there and if you want to go down the fertility route there's lots of help out there :) You really do have time on your side.

Hi Channi

I'm sorry to hear about your situation - its a very hard thing to deal with....

I'm not sure where you are from, but NHS guidelines suggest that antidepressants shouldn't necessarily be prescribed to people with BPD as they don't always work......they can even make symptoms worse in some cases.

I have BPD and take a hight dose of Cipralex (equivalent to 40mg of Citalopram) and it kind of works for me, but I have also been prescribed Seroquel to stabilise my moods. It has helped me quite a lot and the overall goal is that I can eventually reduce the dose of my antidepressants - and when I start getting psychotherapy maybe I can stop taking meds altogether (fingers crossed!)

My psychiatrist has said that Seroquel can be really helpful in treating patients with BPD as a mood stabiliser.

I'm not trying to promote any particular type of medication here - but maybe you could do a bit of research yourself on the effectiveness of anti-depressants in treating BPD and speak to your psychiatrist?

The reason you feel so bad could be because the medication isn't right for you

Best of luck!

xx

• 2 months later...

hay ya, im on citolpram, im on 40 mgs and have been on 50mgs but i made them reduce it, and i can relate to some of what you said, the ocd and poly-cyctic overies, my partner is 9 years older, there is some treatments drugs they can give my stymulate your overies, the only down side is you can end up with a multipul pregnancy, if you really want to be a mummy then ask your GP to give you some stuff, i can relate to wanting to be a mum, for me though my anxiatys are too high,

Archived