Mental Health Forums

Current Sh Posts

DJJK

A quick note about Current SH

Whilst we appreciate that members of the forum will sometimes engage in behaviour that is detrimental to their own wellbeing, we have to be quite clear about what is and isn't suitable content for the forum.

CURRENT SH is NOT acceptable - that is to say, activity that you are currently engaging in.

As stated in the terms of the site, our aim is to encourage you to find productive ways to deal with your situation, without resorting to damaging yourself.

Occasionally we may have the URGE to self harm, or need to refer back to a previous issue that involved this - in which case, we would encourage you to discuss.

All statuses or posts regarding CURRENT self harm, will be removed without exception.

thanks. for future reference, is there a definition of what is regarded as self harm? to avoid us posting something we think is ok but isn't.

It's very difficult to give a definite answer to this - I guess the only answer I can give is it's partly down to user discretion - I think in some way or another, we're usually aware of what is self-damaging behaviour, even if it's something we're not fully in control of at the time.

I think it's maybe relative to each member and condition.

Maybe it's something for members to think about? What they themselves would deem as self harming behaviour.

It's certainly got me thinking! :)

cool. i know the kind of thing you were definitely meaning, and will stay away from. but i have said some things in the past that i'm not sure if they would be inappropriate or not.

please rest assured that if won't consciously post anything inappropriate, and if i post anything that others think is wrong but i hadn't realised, then i apologise in advance, and of course please feel free to remove. thanks.

i usually like to refer to what MIND has to say - here's a link for info :)

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnoses_and_conditions/self-harm

agree, but sorry DJJK you made me laugh cos your avatar picture is really quite ironic, blood, trigger, etc, lol, not sayin you should change tho lol, just made me laugh after what you were posting about

HAHA! - I didn't think of that at all - you're quite right - I shall try and find one with flowers on for you! :)

Thanks, I kind of figured it out when reading the first post but I was wondering if they were listed someone as there have been a couple where I have blindly gone into a topic not really knowing what it was about.

I thinkthat there should be a section for SH to be able to go and talk about it as it is happening, as when we get the urges is when we need the help to distract or whatever and not being "allowed" to talk about it is hard work. In fact challenging this behaviour just before or just after is key to breaking that cycle and banning it from the discussion table is kind of like banning a kid from TV for a week and feels kinda punishey.

Also there are various forms of SH yet it is only the cutting one that is baneed???? People can talk about their over/under eating freely, their wracking up massive credit card debt, their addiction to substances and tobacco..... all of which can fall under the SH banner.

And as you said above it is hard to define where to draw the line so hows about you DON'T.

Hi Angelus - thanks for your post, a few good points raised.

One of the terms you sign up to with the site, is assisting in trying to help reduce self-harming behaviours.

Chitma's link to MIND's self-harm section is a very enlightening and useful resource on the subject (have a scan back a few posts)

Even drinking too much coffee, COULD be classed as self-harm - so you're right in saying that we have to be realistic about things.

Urges and past occurrences are useful in helping us to determine how and why the behaviours occur, and I'm not aware of saying that this isn't OK - if I've perhaps implied it, then I apologise.

I think what we're trying to reinforce is 1. positive and healthy ways of dealing with our feelings and 2. not upsetting other members.

As a community forum, we have a responsibility to each other, and as moderators and administration, we have a responsibility to you, which is why we sometimes have to draw boundaries for the good of everybody - it makes life easier if there is a clear expectation.

I hope this helps to clarify things a little for you - all I would say, as I say to everyone - if you're unsure about something - PM us and we'll do our best to advise.

Stay Safe,

DJJK

I don't understand. I self harm a lot, does this mean I can't talk about it here? I know this might get removed but it helps me, if I couldn't do it I would probably do a lot worse.

This is from the Terms of Use

14. If you should be feeling suicidal or having thoughts of self harm. You may discuss these thoughts on the forums and with other community members, but please be respectful of their feelings. It may be hard for others to hear about how you are feeling. It's strictly NOT permitted to talk about current self harm or suicide.

(this includes status updates).

From what I understand - nothing has changed, all DJJK was doing was reminding people of the rules.

Does that help?

Nothing against you Bibiddi but no. I feel really triggered now. I feel like I want to sh just because I can, if you know what I mean.

Archived