Mental Health Forums

Current Sh Posts

DJJK

hey emma sweety, just wanted to say, of course you can reach out if you need support for sh, this was never about that, infact the mods here have encouraged to speak out before we do it, thue hopefully lessening the urge, the only thing that was ever in questions was coming on here and saying i am self harming or od'ing etc.

xxx

but is it ok if i make 1 suggestion? in the original post it said that posts with sh in will be removed. but maybe it would be possible to edit them instead? so the sh bit is gone but the post is still there so ppl are still aware this person needs help and support?

If it's possible we already do this.

This has been a difficult thread for me to read, but I chose to read all the way through, because I wanted to make sure what I wanted to say was relevant....

Like Piuma, I have sat on the end of the phone, or the computer, with someone I cared about having told me that they had done somthing which could potentially end their life. Even putting on my professional hat in those situations is no help at all. I couldn't sleep, was constantly worrying, I made myself ill.

Equally, I've felt the urges to harm myself, I have hurt myself in the past.

There is a huge difference between saying - "I feel the need to harm myself" or "last night I hurt myself but I went to casualty" and "I AM harming myself and I AM NOT seeking professional help."

I'm not trying to underestimate or invalidate how bad anyone feels when they are in crisis - but posting whilst you are hurting yourself makes others feel helpless, and can push them into a crisis situation too.

When you are in crisis, you aren't in a place where you can consider other people much, which I why I personally agree that there have to be rules against posting details about self harm or suicidal behaviours in which you are currently engaging in.

There are places you can go in those situations, people you can call - the samaritans for example, and you can email them too. Just in a community like this we need to protect each other and ourselves.

Hugs

Mousexx

I cannot express my views more eloquently than this. Thank you doormouse. Totally 100% agree

I have just come back to this post, I'm so shocked to see what has been going off. I said this earlier, and I'll say it again, there are posts here then I just don't like to read, for a number of reasons. So I should ignore them, if I don't then that is MY problem not the person who wrote it. That person wanted help and wanted to get out their feelings, if I can't resist myself from looking, knowing full well how it will make me feel, then no one is to blame but me. Why should the writer get punished for me reading it?

Plus, it is fair enough saying to people to discuss sh with a real life friend. I don't have real life friends. Not one. So what should I do? and as for sitting on the edge of the bath or going for a walk, if it was that simple, no one in the world would self harm! I do not talk about it a lot here but I don't want to not be able to talk about it.

If I wrote a post about it, I would put trigger on, and then it is up to the individual whether they read it.

kinda skimmed through this not read all tbh...

but have to say this... sorry if it has been debated already...

what REALLY irks me is when people post on forum or status update stuff like

i am going to <insert sh or sui method here>

and then go offline

and dont try and tell me that people dont do this cos they bloody do...

how's that supposed to help anyone... should those posts be left to stay visible and worry people who cant do anything cos the person is offline...? <rhetorical>

• 3 months later...

A quick note about Current SH

Whilst we appreciate that members of the forum will sometimes engage in behaviour that is detrimental to their own wellbeing, we have to be quite clear about what is and isn't suitable content for the forum.

CURRENT SH is NOT acceptable - that is to say, activity that you are currently engaging in.

As stated in the terms of the site, our aim is to encourage you to find productive ways to deal with your situation, without resorting to damaging yourself.

Occasionally we may have the URGE to self harm, or need to refer back to a previous issue that involved this - in which case, we would encourage you to discuss.

All statuses or posts regarding CURRENT self harm, will be removed without exception.

I don't see this very helpful really I OD last year and posted that I had on this forum.If staff and members didn't encorch me to go to the hospital I don't think I would have gone.So would have been dead.I have BPD suicidal tentences are part of my life.thinking on this issue further that this site is mainly for BPD and the main thing that most BPD sufferers try kill them self at one time another this site has no support system in place to help with anymore. :ashamed0005:

i havent read this (dont have time appologies) so this may have already been asked, but does the not talking about current/present sh include other sh activities other than si and sui cause im sure iv seen heaps of posts about im so drunk/stoned/binging etc etc which surely could have the same effect of triggering and unintentionally encouraging?

just woundering/clarifying

I think what was meant at the time of posting, that people did not make status updates about current SH or OD, as it can be very distressing for others, worrying about them etc.

You can still post if you have and need support, like I said, It is just saying things like, 'I am ******** as we speak*

well we know that the update posts got taken away onto the other support forum site as a consequence of people posting current sh. I am ashamed to say i was one. but very few people use updates now so we have lost a valuable source of support. its a real shame.

It is a shame I guess, but the status updates are still there, its only 2 clicks away, or maybe 3 lol. Maybe if we all make a concious effort to go on there, we might all start using it a bit more :)

It is a shame I guess, but the status updates are still there, its only 2 clicks away, or maybe 3 lol. Maybe if we all make a concious effort to go on there, we might all start using it a bit more :)

but are they moderated over there ?

i notice that mods and mini mods dont appear to have the staff status there like they do here - ie you dont show up in brown...

cos i remember that was one of the reasons they were removed from here... and i have seen some shocking status updates on there since they migrated...

No hun, as far as I am aware only Lily and Josh have any powers over there, although we still pm from there of course.

I am not sure if there is a report button there or not, I will go have a looky.

Pie

Just had a look, there is not a report button, but there is a feedback tab... I will ask Lily how that one can be tackled, although they may already have something in place.

Pie

well as for going there and supporting people i have done that every day and what else can I do?

just realised you are talking about reporting and moderating on this part of site and not encouraging people who need support to use it. hey ho.

walker, dont think anyone is saying there is a problem on other site and you have not said anything that upsets. xxx so dont be concerned. im staying off this thread now as a bit triggery for me xx

so is that why the status bar was removed then because members were posting about self harm?sorry i have just recently returned here and i don't have a clue what is going on :( The site doesn't look the same now without the the status bars.

Hey it wasn't just sh, i think arguments, suicide intent etc , but I would have thought long term, that it would have been changed anyway, as the new support system site was created.

Archived