Mental Health Forums

Recent Events

Joshua

It saddens me to write this message but it’s something that I feel needs to be said. I really don’t feel that the work here is appreciated by everyone it should be. So much time and effort goes into everything you see here today.

I started this site at a time in my life where things where particular difficult, many many years ago. Since this time I have dedicated my energy, my money and my time into maintaining and developing the services you see here. This is something for which I receive no financial reward.

Recently I implemented a new system which incorporates many features which have been developed in response to your feedback. Over the past 8 years I have benefited from hearing many of your views, not just directly but also indirectly through messages you have posted on the forums.

I understand that some have taken a negative reaction to the sudden change and I am truly sorry about this. My intentions were certainly sincere. I understand the point made about letting you know in advance of changes but experience has shown me that this causes a level of anxiety in its self as those who do not take well to change have time to over think the changes. Also a level of resistance can be met which can cause a delay to the implementation of the new features due to me having to deal with these issues of anxiety rather than spend all my effort and energy in completing the new features. Further issues are caused by letting you know prior to something becoming a part of the community which I have gone into around the forum.

Whilst I acknowledge some unhappiness about the changes and value some of the feedback I do not accept the way in which I have been treated by several members here. Neither do I accept the behaviour of some members in response to some of the changes. This community is renowned for its openness and the flexibility it gives to its members. I value giving those the ability to speak freely and openly and at times of conflict for people to state their issue and propose alternative and challenging views. What I do not value is bullying, abuse and contempt for authority here.

Should you disagree with something on this forum you are free to bring this up in a way that considered constructive. All I ask is that you treat the team members and I with the same freedom and respect we offer to you. We are not here to be pounced on and abused when you disagree with something that has occurred, we are here to help out of good will and not out of obligation.

I think your work is appreciated its just the changes came as a bit of a shock and to be honest it was not clear immediately what the changes did or why they were made. I think most people saw that the status updates were being misused for SH messages and this caused a lot of fallout and something needed to be done. But I do miss being able to see what people are up to.

As a half asleep newish user I'm still finding my way around the normal site and the support site looks excellent but I'm not sure what the 'Shout box' should be used for? I have probably read it somewhere and forgotten.

Is there an area on the forum where site feedback, suggestions for changes, error reports etc could go? That way any feedback may be better contained and not spread over other parts of the forum.

Hi

I understand this and as I said in my previous message thats fine and there is a way to feed that back. Shoutbox is basically status updates and to be used as the same sort of thing.

Feedback can be sent through the new system.

I understand that some have taken a negative reaction to the sudden change and I am truly sorry about this. My intentions were certainly sincere.

this is the key

its not the changes

its just to know that you acknowledge the distress - that you hear us - as we, and you, all need to be heard

the changes are - whatever - good, bad, usefull, different,

(for us the trauma was the 'shout' feature and its intensity and 'apparant' sudden abandonment of people from main forum)

we - 'i' accept the pain it causes is personal and rooted in the past

and DO NOT BLAME YOU FOR THAT IN ANY WAY

but to know that you hear, and are sorry it hurt us

well

that is all that matters

THANKYOU SO MUCH

(this site means SUCH a lot to us, me, whoever it is)

(sorry if this is taken as rude or wrong or anything - it really truly is intended to be positive and saying thankyou)

Edited by walker
  • Like 3

But if we all use the 'Feedback' button then they is no record we can see that an issue has already been reported so we could end up sending you the same issues again and again.

I do understand that. The issue for me was and is that whilst im sorry you feel the way you do as a result of something i have done, i will do it again. For me when someone offers an apology it comes with regret and a promise for change. So my thought is, why be sorry if your going to do it again.

Through reflection I have realised that whilst I can not tell you this will change I can acknowledge that in me making changes the way i have and will continue to, it will cause a number of people to feel uncomfortable or to feel pain...

But if we all use the 'Feedback' button then they is no record we can see that an issue has already been reported so we could end up sending you the same issues again and again.

Thats fine, Issues are dealt with quickly.

Thanks.

I do like the new support system - is going to replace lots of bits of random paper I have been using and losing. I have no memory at the moment and have found the post it to be handy already.

I have been keeping a Word diary but the online one is so much handier and the format is better.

If there was a thumbs up emoticon I would use it.

• Like 2

I have been on this site for years and have seen many changes and josh is right If you tell people about change some people react to that and if it just gets changed an equal amount of people also react

Lucy

• Like 1

Hey Josh

I do think for most people it was the sudden change with no prior warning and your apparent lack of concern afterwards. Your apology on those matters is much appreciated. I do agree that the way some people handled it and the way they spoke to you was apalling and unacceptable.

Here's hoping we can all start to move past it now.

Think most have taken something away with them following this. Joshua has stated his reasoning for not informing us of sudden changes due to a level of anxiety, but yeah sometimes harsh words being met with harsh words/laughter can be like taking oil and pouring it on an already burning fire - nothing can be resolved when people don't feel heard nor does it motivate a site owner to work hard for the forum community if he suffers attacks; he could easily let the forum go and we all find somewhere else, under someone else's rules and direction.

So take away from it something we can all learn, from Joshua to every member - for the benefit of us all.

Here's hoping we can all start to move past it now.

It did feel like hanging on a tall tower that was swaying back and forth. I think all in all the support struts are deeper in the ground than we know and the tower isn't going to fall over. I'm not sure why it was so upsetting now :ashamed0005: oops but it was...not because of the reactions but instead the emotions. People genuinely got stressed. Inside it did feel like a huge loss. I'm glad to see people peeking out and moving on. I just want the family back doing what they normally do...ya ya here and ya ya there..giggles..hugs..tears, rants to the air and an occasional stomp.

:sofa:

yes its nice that people are moving on and sharing support again, but as for trust in site admin and all these new mods not going to happen for me for sometime to come.

It will continue to sadden me the level of distress that people were put through ( including myself as vulnerable at that time)and I do not accept or agree that the approach to this was the right approach, This comes from 27 years years of experiences of working with people and campaigning for the right to information and equality for all. It goes against my value base. But if change happens again on here I am happy to work with mods and admin on a planned approach to it. please feel free to ask and pm me.

Just want to say Josh that i appreciate everything you do for this site, and the team- and i am sure, well i know, that many members do as well.

THANK YOU :D

• Like 1