Mental Health Forums

Getting Fit And Saving Money

Villan

so... i live like 7 mins drive from work, 5 mins from the cricket club and 5 mins from supermarket...

i drive too many short distances...

petrol keeps going up, and i dont really get much exercise...

so... i went and bought me a bicycle :o

eeeks

although now regretting it being as i near killed myself on way home i am that unfit !!!

not rode a bike in YEARS... and that was also after walking 30 mins to get to bike shop in the first place !!!

knackered now, but got 4 days off to work my way up to cycling to work Tuesday morning... although forecast is rain :( plenty of time to work out how to use the gears :wacko: also to work out which way to get to work with less hills (lil hills but felt like bloomin mountains tonight lol)

still... it's a start... cant give up car completely cos will need it in winter and also to go mums every weekend and will also still need it a lil for away games for cricket and indoor cricket in winter...

and they say that exercise and fresh air is good for depression... :)

but... wish me luck ima need it - lmao

:) xx

Well done! :) Its great u bought urself a bike, i find exercise does help lessen the effects of depression, it releases feel good endorphins which help inprove ur mood.

Keep up the good work, hope this is the start of a positive road ahead for u :)

Wooo go you hun!!!! :) Good luck with it, am sure will be fine! Sounds so good hun, am sure you'll love it. I giggled at the mountains comment too ^_^

I wanna bike too, but i can't even ride one :ashamed0005: lol I will learn, someday.

Muchos luff

xXx

IT'S GOT A BELL

OMG

I dint notice - found it when i was setting up suspension (they have that too these days :blink: - it really has been that long since i had bike)

Ting Ting :) :)

Good for you - i bought the zumba wii game as too shy to go to class so gonna try that tomorrow.

Safe cycling

Maddie x

calming down now - always get overexcited when i have a new toy :ashamed0005:

thanks for all the support - knew u lot wouldnt let me down :wub:

just googled zumba maddie found a trailer on youtube - looks alot of fun... i like when exercise is either fun or money saving/practical - and not just for the sake of it - makes it easier to keep going ! let us know how you get on :)

I'll let you all know how i go with the bike - even if (when) i fall off !!!!

*stocks up with tcp and plasters just in case* lol

:) xxx

Good for you - i bought the zumba wii game as too shy to go to class so gonna try that tomorrow.

Safe cycling

Maddie x

I went to a zumba class recently........Was the only dude there! Good fun though, u shudnt be shy takin part in it, lots of people take part in it and they all have different ability levels. Also everyone else is too focused on how they are doin during the class themselves so u will fit in fine if u choose to try it :)

that's great, i think being out in the fresh air usually does help. I usually like walking even tho i hate the part where i actually have to walk out of the door and leave the house. Getting fit and saving money is always good but it sounds like you've found a way you can really enjoy it

I walk around 6+ miles each week

Just me and my iPod

Sometimes I wish I could be Forest Gump and just keep on walking

Safe cycling :)

the late GREAT syd :) and yayyyyyyyyyy queeeeeeeeeeeen :):sm.jpg:

well... i went out twice today - once in the am to go shop, and once late afternoon just for the hell of it - both were round trips of bout 2.6 miles (by google), which doesnt sound much, but when it has been 15 years odd since i last rode bike and add the fact that i am way UNFIT - is actually not that bad an achievement...

i also worked out the flattest way to work - will dry run that on Monday i think...

onward...

cycled to work today :) took me 16 minutes - not bad - and found great route with bout 85% cycling on pavements (cycle paths) and the rest on the roads was quiet roads... only one horrid hill on way back that i got off and pushed - but i did the other nasty hill just before my road staying on bike - so improvement there...

have to say i feel good about it - not just the exercise, but the feeling of doing summat good for my health too...

o and yes i have fell off - just by my house on sunday - got wheel caught in summat and have big bruise on knee - dont hurt, but looks good, nice and purple... am actually proud of it !!!

anyway... that's my update...

onward ... :sm.jpg:

Good on you hun.I want to get a bike too but i don't think i would be able to ride one now lol.Sorry you hurt yourself tho.xxx

thanks both :)

lil updatey thing...

tuesday: 16m37 to get to work

wednesday:16m00 :)

thursday - rained so i drove to work (said that's what i would be doing cos dont wanna sit in wet things all day and cba with change of clothes atm so no biggie...)

friday: 15m00 :) :)

cant time coming home cos keep stopping off at shops or stuff, tonight i went to straight to park after work (it's on the way home) to watch my bro play bowls and showed him bike... he pleased for me...

but looks like rain all weekend so no getting out...

so... bottom line, after 1 week feel way fitter and cycling getting way easier, and i think i lost weight - but it's not about doing that so i am not weighing myself regular enough to be sure...

only just seen this....wooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo i used to love having a bike, maybe one day i can join u on ur travels masked.gifmasked.gif

Yayyy BPD world cyclathon !!!!

After a weekend without bike due to weather and i went to my mum's (and that requires driving, but not bad thing cos still have to use car or i will wither and die) i managed to beat my PB this morning - got here in 14m24 :)

I also weighed myself and i think i have dropped about 4-5 lbs since i started this malarky...

So still winning all round...

Woo hoo!!!! Excellent, you have also re-kindled my passion for cycling and I went into the local bike shop today and got the stats on a new bike. I might be joining you very soon Villan...... I will need mudguards though as I like going off road a lot xxx

ok so... after week 2...

cycled to and from work every day this week...

i have stopped timing myself but averaging 15 mins there and 18 mins home

(uphill home and also have to cross major roads as mostly right hand turns and that way is safest)

managing to stay on bike all the way even up the hills, and noticeably not so knackered upon arrival...

and not managed to fall off again...

so... yeah... all still good...

Yay!!!! Good for you doing the bike riding thing is so good for you, the environment, and everything!!

I love my bike, too. It's my horseback riding substitute. I feel so free and powerful and it keeps me fit.

Sooo happy to see all the bicyclists here :)

love,

cat

yeah... it did start with the saving money on fuel thing, but have to admit, i feel so much better mentally and physically since starting this malarky... and the fact that i am getting fitter and losing some of my excess weight are beautiful side effects... even my mum and bro are proud of me and that means alot to me too... :)

big win all round... xxx

done 4 out of 5 days this week (rained on wednesday i think)

and

lidl has been selling cheap bike stuff this week, so i got me another set of lights - cheap so dunno if they will last but i think having a spare, just in case set is a good idea, also got a pump and a lil tool bag thingie with puncture repair stuff included... great timing there :)

o and my tight tight not easy to do up jeans now do up just fine with room to spare :)

Archived