Mental Health Forums

Bpd: Age Of Onset Of Mental Problems

Data

267 members have voted

1. 1. What age did your mental problems first occur?

• 4 years or under
    • 5-8
    • 9-12
    • 13-15
    • 16-19
    • 20-22
    • 23-25
    • 26 years or older

it was 36 yrs for me, after i had a panic attack at the drs surgery went down hill from there with self harming and its took the mental health team ages to diagnose me with emotionaly unstable personality disorder,

lightworker

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5-8 for me. I have very strong memories from childhood so no mistakes, that's when it started. I spent all of my sister's wedding reception hiding under a table wishing it would stop. Clingy child, but nobody to cling to (father abusive but left home soon after the wedding and withdrawn, mentally ill mother). Actually, I did have my other sister but father took her with him (and abused her badly, I was let off lightly).

I find it incredibly sad that so many of us here have missed out on a happy childhood - shocking really, not to mention those of us who's problems went un noticed.

Hugs to all.

• 2 months later...

I have had mental problems since the age of six. Got diagnosed with autisum and a d h d. The bpd symptems started when i was in my teens and there still here. I think they always will be a part of me even with the meds.

• 3 weeks later...

It was around 13 for me. I went from a quiet girl who did well in school and liked to be praised to an angry, hateful person who becomes hell bent on self destruction. I think part of it was down to life experience and part too genetics but I literally turned into something frightening. I lied, I stole, I manipulated everyone and everything around me to make myself feel better. I soon grew out of the hurting people phase and then I punished myself for what I'd done. Now it's graduated to something else and I'm not sure what but it's hell.

I voted '9-12' because that's when I begun to understand that something was wrong. I did have some issues as early as 4 years old, however. Most problems before 8-9 years old were about being around my mother. I would have panic attacks when I had to go to school, and on the first day of ballet (which I never went back to) because I didn't want to be separated from her. Ironically, she was the cause of the majority of the abuse I dealt with as a child.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have put 5-8 as I don't have a great deal of memory before that but generally feel like I have been like this my whole life. I just can't remember much before then.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say for me it would have been when i was in grade school i'd have to say 8-9. That when i began being picked on for being overweight and began to withdraw from people.

Archived