Mental Health Forums

What Do You Think About Having Children?

Monsterfood

I know there is a parenting section here in the forums but the description looks more like for people who are parents already. I have wondered before about having children. What would it be like for them and what would it be like for me? Children can be stress or triggers but I think I am more concerned about what it might be like for a child to have to grow up around PD. I mean if there is a choice in the matter have any of you considered whether or not to have children because of this? There are so many difficult things in the world kids have to deal with like if their parent gets cancer or someone dies or other bad things but if we know ahead of time going into having children that they would be brought into a world full of the PD pain we feel and express then what do you think about that?

too late

had them

didnt know about mh issues

thought was just bad

would not go back on it

they are the most amazing people and the only reason to try and look forward to tomorrows

watching how they touch the lives of others and bring them joy -

priceless

children are a gift

not a right

if you are ever fortunate enough to have them then doubtless you will do the very best you can

that is all any of us can do

it is immensely painful being a parent

but if you KNOW you have problems, beforehand, then you are better set to seek out help and support

it is up to each person perhaps

personally

they are the 2 reasons walker was created for

Yes I think about* having children a lot, And I want to have, I used to say I was going to have a baby by the age of 25... I am now under two years from there and I won't have a baby by then, Because for one I am not stable enough to cope with a newborn...

So I have thought and thought about it, For so long and it makes me cry, Because I won't ever carry a baby, Because I don't want to bring a child up, Where I cannot do everything for her/him... I don't see a day where I won't have my bad bad thought, Or want to just end it...

So yeah * God I am crying "/ * , Plus being a gay woman, It is not as easy as it can be for some straight women to have a baby/children... I don't want to bring a child up on my own, I want to be in a stable RS but by the look's of things, It will never happen for me... Plus I am scared I won't love my child and I couldn't make her/him safe and things could happen, Like the things what happened to me...

Sorry I am just going on and not really answering your Q's o.O, Sorry...

This is of course very personal,I do not judge people that do differently! But I dont want to burden kids with my issues,am afraid I would and so am not having them.

lily/dice

that is what breaks heart

seeing how we have been and how it has affected them

never knowing, when they were young, that the problems we were having were down to mental illness, and never getting the right support

huge huge huge sadness and guilt

Thanks for your input walker. It sounds like they are sunshines in your life. :)

Dice you were not going on. You answered perfectly. I am wondering what others have thought about this and you shared your thoughts. :)

Lily I appreciate what you said. I agree I don't want anyone to feel judged if others have different opinions its just I love kids but I am concerned about whether having kids would more meet my needs or if I would be able to meet theirs. Not just their eating and clothing needs but their emotional needs. I want them to feel loved and safe and happy and not be burdened because I don't think little kids can get what it really all about when they are little. If I had a kid I know I would do the best I could even if I was not well and I would say I could do it and it wouldn't be bad for them but saying it doesn't mean it actually works out that way.

Really want to be a Mom, even know what I would call her if the baby was a lil girl, I would love her so much, and never let anyone hurt her. I would want her to have a better life and everything I never had...

as much as I want to, I have a hard time imagining being around by the age of 25/30. i'm 22 right now. the biggest reason for being here right now is my niece, and when I'm able to keep my anger in check around her, and when I can see how her being around has helped me for the better, it gives me hope for the future and me being able to handle a child (I don't think i'm really the parental type, but you never know). but as much as I think about the future, and start to have hopes, I get anxious when I think about having to live until 60. even 40 seems too far away..

for this reason, I try not to think about the future, and focus on the present.

Well I'm 40 and single and on an anti pshycotic that has stopped my periods so...

I was with someone this winter and really wanted a child but eventually realised I didn't want one with him. Since I broke up with him I am beginning to accept I will never be a mother and maybe, with all my problems, this is a good thing.

still makes me feel very sad to think about it though. :(

starry x

PlasticInsanity I think focusing on now is a great thing you are doing because tomorrow and 40 will be nows later so you will see them then! :) It is nice you have a good relationship with your niece. I am sure she loves you very much. xx

starry1 thank you for sharing. It sounds like you made a thoughtful decision about knowing this guy wasn't the right one to be a dad. I am sorry you are feeling sad. You never know though. xx

Well I'm 40 and single and on an anti pshycotic that has stopped my periods so...

I was with someone this winter and really wanted a child but eventually realised I didn't want one with him. Since I broke up with him I am beginning to accept I will never be a mother and maybe, with all my problems, this is a good thing.

still makes me feel very sad to think about it though. :(

starry x

have you considered adoption, or joining the 'Big Sisters' program? just a thought. when I think of having kids, I'd rather adopt or be a foster parent to avoid pregnancy, but that's me.

and thank you Monsterfood. you're right, we are very close, and I love having her around. She came early, as my sister was only 17 when she got pregnant, but if she wasn't here I don't know where I'd be. it's funny how someone so small can mean so much.

i struggle with this one. i want kids but i dont want to burden them with bipolar and certainly not til someone says i'm "no longer bpd"

you know the sad thing

-

none of you see the good things that you can offer to children, yours, AND/OR other peoples

you all have SO much goodness and love in you that is there to be shared -

that is clear from how you are here

please remember that - alongside your illness and difficulties

xxxxxxxx

"have you considered adoption, or joining the 'Big Sisters' program? just a thought. when I think of having kids, I'd rather adopt or be a foster parent to avoid pregnancy, but that's me."

Hi I'm not in a good enough financial situation to adopt -on benefits and live in a bedsit.

do you have a link to the 'big sisters' program it sounds interesting

starry x

although it depends on many things, but i agree with walker. i hope when we become parents in our lives, we will be more sensitive and understanding for our children... will care that they dont get hurt as we were hurt or damaged when we were young. i'd love to have kids.

i never wanted children or believed i would be stable enough to

care for them.

turns out they are what saved me and made me more stable.

now theyre my life xx

dice:breaks my heart to read that...you could offer a child so much.you are so caring.and i think

the fact you are already putting the chids needs before your own desire of wanting one so much speaks volumes.

xxx

"have you considered adoption, or joining the 'Big Sisters' program? just a thought. when I think of having kids, I'd rather adopt or be a foster parent to avoid pregnancy, but that's me."

Hi I'm not in a good enough financial situation to adopt -on benefits and live in a bedsit.

do you have a link to the 'big sisters' program it sounds interesting

starry x

http://www.bbbs.org/site/c.9iILI3NGKhK6F/b.5961005/k.97C6/International/apps/s/link.asp

It looks like it may not be offered in France, but don't give up hope! you could volunteer at a children's hospital if you wish, or even visit your local city hall to inquire if any mentoring programs are available.

Everyone has such thoughtful things to say. Thank you for sharing your opinions on this. I wonder what people would say who are adults now who had a parent with PD. I know there are good things about people with PD I just wonder if the difficulties effected the kids in a way that was more or less damaging than we think it does from our own perspectives. That would be interesting to hear. I suppose it would be individual.

Hi Monsterfood,

I have a son, he's 4. He was born the month before i turned 15, and was conceived as a result of being drunk and spiked and... assaulted....at a friend's party.

I normally tell people that I never wanted children. That seemed like the simplest of answers, instead of explaining to them that I want to be in a relationship, I want to be in love, and loved in return. I want to get married, and I want to have children. That was my dream - find my prince charming, settle down together, have children. I wanted two children.

The reality of it is that I am a 20 year old mother to a 4 year old boy. I am single. He lives with my mum because I have been too poorly to care for him - I couldn't meet his needs emotionally because I was too wrapped up in my own nightmares - abuse, self-injury, etc.....

It breaks my heart. There's not a day that goes by when I don't hate myself for not being the mum i want to be, the mum my son deserves. And I hate that I am single, alone.

I don't have the life I want, not at all, and I know that it will never happen for me - that it will just be some stupid dream that I need to kill, cause it will never come true.

All of it just hurts.

(((((Crippie))))) Thank you for sharing your story. It was a very brave thing to do since it is painful for you. I would say you are actually being a very good person by having your son be some place you feel he can get some things you aren't sure you can do right now. Of course taking care of yourself now means you can be the best mum you can be for your son. What you are doing is very loving. I am sorry you don't have the life you want right now but I don't think dreams are stupid and they can come true. xx

Thankyou hun xxx

sorry, i know i kind of went a little off topic there. The two are very-much linked for me though.

but yes, you're right - am doing the best i can to get myself to the point where I CAN give my boy the mummy he deserves, and maybe he doesn't have his dad or any sort of father figure, but it's not the end of the world, however much my silly emotional mind believes it is.

xxxx

Archived