Mental Health Forums

A Modern Day Obssession ?

pepsimeg

I think i may have slight OCD but not all the time (maybe its an alter yeah blame it on them lol)

I dunno but i get times when i cant stop checking emails texts letters, i read them over and over.

I got my T letter about a week ago and i muxt of read it 20 times, not all at the same time, i kept putting it away and then getting it out reading it over and over the same words i kept reading the same paragraph.

I can get a bit obbsessive with things

I do it with emails and texts and anything with techno stuff

i dont wash hands all the time or lock doors but even when im on here i check and check my same posts - dont know what for, then i look at other ppls over and over (sorry im not stalking anyone LOL)

I will probabaly read tis tons of times but i wont be able to leave it i will keep coming back to it buti dont know why really - is it just a modern day obbsession we all have with emails and texts and computers.

I dont have to line things up at home or everything has to be a certain way as i said its just techno stuff

just blabbing on and on sorry

i also have to research into tings over and over and i cant stop i just seeme to go on and on absorbing stuff

when i go on hol its great cos im away from techno stuff and its great cos i dont feel so woulnd up by all the techno stuff that i have to do at work and home....maybe it is just a modern day obbsession

any thoughts or comments from others thanks

p.s. i will come back to read it over and over again thank you

emogirl

i don't really have anything useful say- but i sortta do that too!

when im on here, or fb i check to see if anything new has come up lol at least with the letters and stuff you know you're reading them properly :)xxx

Emo Girl,

I tend to do the same thing too. Not sure why i do it - its almost as if the letter/email i have read loads of time before - might have new information in which i previously missed.

Do you get the same thing with sending Letters/Cards? If i have written a birthday card and sealed the envelope, i find that i have to open the envelope and read the card again just to make sure its to the right person.

thanks for your replies miss smiff and bear

No i dont have to re-open letters again, i just read ones i get over and over. i know i havent missed anything i just have to read them, i been thinking about it i think its a kind of anxiety checking over and over again. even with ones at work i keep going over and over

yes

read

re-read

re-re-read

etc

esp texts/emails/stuff here

if its good things its trying to make them solid, staying in head, which doesnt happen

if its our own things its because we dont remember what we wrote

Take a close look at what it makes you feel when you read the email or text. Chances are it gives you some small sense of connection, reward or pleasure, almost like little choccie drops. When you feel bad, it makes sense to feel compelled to keep going back to see if someone has replied, and if they havent - re-reading the ones where they have.

As you say, a modern obsession - where communication is instant yet delayed.

i can be a bit like that with emails or texts that make me feel good, but never really thought about it before. not sure if it's the same thing though x

I get this a lot and wonder sometimes if I have OCD too, but then I think anxiety, PDs and OCD are all closely related so I just find it easier to see it as anxiety.

For me I think its about worrying that I havent said the right thing and that it will be misconstrued or I will lool stupid. I can spend a good half hour writing a single email to a client at work. Its a wonder my managers havent noticed.

Sometimes I do the opposite I get mega paranoid about things I post on FB or an email Ive sent so I actually close my email straight up because I cant deal with the fear of what will come back at me.

I get the incessant researching of random things on-line too. They seem really important at the time too - like its something I HAVE to know about. I can spend hours looking up something on-line. I plan changing my whole life, career etc on account of something Ive just read. Then I suddenly snap out of it, forget about it, and get on with stuff. Actually this is quite an important part of my problems as its this behaviour that lead to my username...a very important scientific discovery that has major implications for my life...NOT...hmmm...youve made me think...Is this OCD? Maybe I should discuss it with my T.

Archived