Mental Health Forums

Intrusive?

stevepee

I would like some advice. I have got OCD, never been diagnosed, but had it my whole life. Used to partake in complex rituals to avoid bad events etc.

I also have had a number of bad bouts of depression, I am trying to get over one now. Came out of a relationship which is my fault. Keep thinking about her with other men. Not really an intrusive thought as I force myself to think it. But when I think it, I feel very anxious, then depressed. Its a downward spiral.

Anytips non how I can avoid such impulsive thinking? I will mention this to the mental health professional when I finally get to see one. But in the meantime....any advice?

xxxx

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Stevepee, I have never been diagnosed with OCD but I also know that I suffer from it. I get really bad intrusive thoughts and they drive me crazy. The only thing that helps me deal with them is to let them float in to my mind and float away, the more I try not to think about them the worse they become. Its such a hard thing to deal with but I have gotten help from people before on here, there is a post I wrote in this section that the very kind people on here replied to that I found extremely helpful in coping. I dont know if this has helped at all or even made sense but I do hope it helps some bit.

Bell :)

• 2 months later...

CBT is a very good therapy which can help with thinking such as that. You could try researching it and see if there is a psychotherapist near you who could provide you with it.

I get intrusive thoughts but not OCD. I agree with Bell, try and be mindful of them and let them float in and out of your mind. You could look up mindfullnees on google. I'm not really into it yet (got therapy starting in New Year) but is a good way to distract from the feelings instead of giving in to the feelings and letting them become you. x

• 1 month later...

Hey there

I struggle with intrusive thoughts and images all the time, on a frequent basis. Its a really nasty unpleasant thing to have, but I agree with what has been said above. The best thing to do is acknowledge that the thoughts are there and just leave them. If you try to ignore them it seems to amplify them so much more and in turn make you feel even worse. So maybe try giving that a shot?

Anyway best of luck and hope you find some help soon.

Louladoll xxo

Archived