Mental Health Forums

Clicking

toaster

I make clicking noises with my throat.

I know I did it as a child when I was nervous - which was quite a lot - and it wound everybody up. I'd be in trouble, start clicking then be in more trouble :wacko:

Pie notices when I do it now but I have no idea. It apparently gives my mood away - how ever many clicks I do depends on how stressed/anxious/nervous/triggered I am. Pie has it all worked out :lol: whereas I have no idea...!

Here in Australia they notice it as well. I think it winds them up. They keep mentioning it.

I do it the most when I am cooking I think - that is when they mention it. Or, actually, when I am concentrating. Pie reckons because I am a perfectionist I get stressed when cooking, hence the more clicking. I know I think a lot and create scenarios on my head and wind myself up when I am cooking/in the kitchen/cleaning so that might be why.

I have asked Pie to tell me when I am doing it - she has said it can be annoying but she knows I am unaware, but maybe if she mentions it I will become aware...and if it is pissing her off then mention it lol.

I also do a breathing thing, I make pattern sounds with my breathing until it feels 'even'. Which can take a while and sometimes does not happen - I just have to fall asleep. It is hard to explain but I know fellow ocd'ers will understand...

Just wondering if anyone has anything similar, any advice or just let me know your experience!

Maybe I need to not look a the clicking but look at what is making me click...

I drum with my hands/fingers and feet....Winds people up, but half the time i have no idea i'm doing it. Usually the more intricate and faster beats means im more anxious.

Aurora :)

oh oh oh rory i do this thing, this 'tune' with my fingers, used to do it as a kid to distract...i am proud of my beats tho lol

Archived