Mental Health Forums

Repeating Phrases Over And Over

CrippleAndStarfish

Gunna have to be quick as i've gotta run for the bus on a min, but was wondering if this would fall under OCD-related stuffs, or if anyone experiences anything similar?

I find that i either get a certain phrase stuck in my head and go over and over it, can't stop it, or i say it out loud. Normally something really mundane, like when i turned on laptop was going "come onnnn, come onnn, turn onnnn, come onnnn", said it once out loud, and then it wouldn't stop going over and over in my head, and then in the bath i was going "shampoooo, is over, thereeee" with some weird little tune, and i realised while i was straightening my hair that i was still at it, and now i've got "overrr and overrr and overrrr and..." in my head and gahhhh.

I find myself doing this a lot, esp if i'm in a rush or stressed etc.

xxxx

Hiya Crip,

I have done this for years (since a kid) but only become aware of it recently.

Counting, phrases, curses, rhymes, puns.

The sometimes seem to come in by 'default', i noticed lately i always count when walking up the stairs, like on autopilot.

Am i making sense? I think i know what you mean.

Hope yr having an ok day xx

Morning Crips

Yep me too!!! I get conversations going on a loop in my mind, or phrases and I'm the same as Kitteh with the counting. I count everything - how long it takes to run the bath, how long it takes to put water in the kettle, the stairs, how long it takes to walk to asda - all sorts of things. The counting thing in particular drives me nuts!!

Hope your meeting goes well xxxx

I have that the whole time. At the moment it's the name Prokofiev, no idea why, I can't remember hearing it or reading it anywhere.

I always count things thoughm especially if I'm out, it helps keep my calm if I count all the steps I take, the number of cars that pass etc etc.

I get this too, mostly in the mornings. I try to just let it be there. Getting in a flap and worrying that its a 'symptom' tends to just make you feel worse I think. Letting it be there, and accepting its going to come up for a while, actually seems to make it pass more quickly - after all, you can't 'make it' go away.

I dont know if this makes any sense or not, but, im not thinking ocd im thinking anxiety of some sort, i only say that, and maybe this is might not be the same, its nothing to do with counting or rhythms to words. more..... like say im nervous or scared and anxious about something, i might well find i say the words over and over as a calming affect, so say the shampoo, for me i hate showering, i did have a realy fear, its getting easier tho, but anyway, i may be in the room, and thinking in my head, ina sort of sing song way, the towels over their, the shampoo is here, the toothbrush is there etc, and repeating or saying it, focus's me and its almost like, saying it out loud, makes it real and something to be mindful of, it is real, it can be touched etc.

I dont know if any of that makes sense o.0?

me too, done it for years

for me its phrases, sometimes i copied them off TV/movies, others i just made up

like Pie says, i do it because it has a calming effect

Hey you lovely lot!

Thanks for all your replies, it's a weight off to know i'm not alone with this. I've done this for as long as i can remember, and most of the time it doesn't really bother me, is just one of my quirks, but lately it's been driving me (more) nuts!!!

Think it must be anx related, an attempt to self-soothe similar to how some people twirl their hair or twist their ring on their finger etc, cause it does def happen when i'm stressy or nervous, and getting worked up about it results in me doing it even more.

Got some weird looks in the waiting room at CMHT yesterday while waiting to see my new T... the room is usually empty, and i've never seen more than 2 other people in there before, but there were 9 people all milling about and it weirded me out a bit as wasn't expecting it, and i realised i was going over my checklist that i run through when i leave the house - "shoes, jacket/coat, bag. Phone, purse, keys, smokes and flame."....

I guess, at least I was in the right place for acting a bit mad!

xxxxx

• 2 months later...

Gosh, i know how this feels i always do it, it gets really annoying doesn't it especially when you realise your doing it :confused02:

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Yes i have loads of phrases and have to say them when im out and about. people see and think im talking to myself. Ive even pretended to have an ear piece and talking on a phone to try and cover up. Your not alone.

Archived