Mental Health Forums

Cooking And Eating Properly :)

catsmother21

This is really a big thanks to Crippie because of the post she made about eating a varied diet which we weren't doing at all and it has given me a kick up the arse because I realised that I was worrying so much about doing the housework, washing and ironing etc that I didn't have any energy left for cooking and eating and enjoying doing that.

This is what we have had for the last 3 days (can't remember the last time that I cooked properly 3 days in a row!!)

Saturday - homemade Spag Bol (made with Quorn) with butter, black pepper and parsley tossed through the spaghetti and garlic bread.

Sunday - Linda McCartney sausages, mash, baby carrots, baby sweetcorn, green beans, asparagus and red onion gravy.

Monday - homemade sauteed mushroom and caramalised onion quiche with new potatoes and salad.

I have also been eating a sandwich for lunch and fruit every day and do feel like I've got more energy :)

Just need to start eating breakfast again - coffee and cigs at the moment - that's still a work-in-progress. :cigar::P

But I think I'm doing quite well and I am enjoying the buying of the ingredients, the measuring, chopping and weighing and then cooking it and enjoying eating it - my passion for it is returning and have been going through my recipe books and magazines again :cheff:

I'm going to the hairdressers tomorrow so I'm just going to do something easy like a big bowl of pasta, garlic bread and a lovely side salad.

:masked::cheff::masked::cheff: :masked:

that all sounds absolutely delicious :)

one meal i like if i'm not in the mood for cooking is those fresh pasta parcel things which are like ravioli's filled with spinach and ricotta or other fillings, they only take about four minutes to cook in boiling water and heating up some tomato based pasta sauce only takes a few minutes too. very healthy especially if you add a salad xxx

Well done cat!ur meals sound lovely.

Since cripies post I've been doin the same!eating more fruit,cutting out crisp and eating at lease 1 meal a day plus a sandwich. Xx

Good to see you guys are eating well. I love cooking a homemade meal from scratch, It's just the right weather for some homemade soup today, I'll be cooking up a big pot of creamy chicken and veg soup.

If anyone is interested in my recipe, I'll put it up here, (i can easily be modified for you veggies)

Marc x

Ooo yes I would love that recipe please :) Hubby is a veggie - I'm not but do eat veggie most of the time because of him - so a lovely wintery veggie soup recipe would be lovely thanks xx

Lunch today:

Prawns, avocado, cherry tomato, radishes and crispy salad leaves.

Dinner tonight:

Slow roasted courgette, red onion, red pepper and mushrooms mixed into a basil and tomato sauce and then poured over pasta with garlic bread and salad :)

I had a bad day yesterday and didn't cook but I am back on track today and I'm making leek and potato gratin with Cauldron Lincolnshire sausages, broccoli and baby carrots :)

Are these dishes easy to make? I hate cooking but its due to my Home Economics teacher in High school degrading me and being a bitch about the things I made, so I just live off microwave meals. Probably would feel better if I ate better. I just want the confidence to start cooking again.

Well done Catsmother :) x

Yes they are quite easy to make that's why I've started off with some easy recipes to get myself in the swing of things again. You could start with getting some cooking magazines and doing the easy ones and work yourself up from there. I definitely feel better for eating properly again :) and thanks for the well done - means a lot :D .

Ignore that Home Economics teacher :sm.jpg: she should have been encouraging you and not putting you down <_<

Have a go and let me know how you get on and I'll always be here for advice if you need some :) xxxx

This is so, so great to hear hun. So proud of you!! It all sounds delicious too.

...so, when am i coming over for dinner? :)

xxxxxxxxxx

Well done cat!ur meals sound lovely.

Since cripies post I've been doin the same!eating more fruit,cutting out crisp and eating at lease 1 meal a day plus a sandwich. Xx

So glad to hear this Daisy hun!!! :) I'm really glad my moaning has inspired people! haha.

I think i need to take a leaf out of yours and Cats book and get my eating sorted out myself too :)

xxxx

Thanks Cat, really mean that, kind of you to say :)

I was going to buy that Jamies Ministry of Food book, as when I looked at a copy someone had ordered at the Book Club at work, the recipes looked understandable. xx

This is so, so great to hear hun. So proud of you!! It all sounds delicious too.

...so, when am i coming over for dinner? :)

xxxxxxxxxx

You are welcome any time you like sweets :) xx

Thanks Cat, really mean that, kind of you to say :)

I was going to buy that Jamies Ministry of Food book, as when I looked at a copy someone had ordered at the Book Club at work, the recipes looked understandable. xx

Go on be brave - give it a go and I've run out of 'likes' but will come back. xx

I also find cooking very therapeutic - measuring, chopping and weighing and I put a CD on as well and dance (but not when I've not got a knife in my hand!!) and sing along (you really wouldn't want to hear my singing!!) but it makes it a pleasurable experience for me :) xx

Well Cats, you've succeeded in inspiring me now too!! I've got my nana over and she's giving me a nudge to get the washing up done, and then am gunna make dinner for us both - roast pots, veg, chicken, gravy and yorkshire puds. I made a biiiig yorkshire pud about 8pm last night for supper, and was still stuffed this morning when i woke up haha. I use a biiig roasting tin, so plenty to nom for greedy me haha. xxxxx

Archived