Mental Health Forums

Cooking And Eating Properly :)

catsmother21

my gcse home economics teacher put me down too, everyone else was getting 11 out of 12 every week and i was getting like 7 but she never encouraged me or made me feel better about it. then i did cooking with the mental health team but i wasnt allowed to touch the knives or the oven in case i self harmed with them so i just watched the teacher cook and never learned anything. so i always hated cooking but then I started cooking at home and it turns out i love it! I dont cook meat, fish or rice coz i'm scared of food poisoning but i do lots of other stuff, my fave thing to make is pizza.

OMG yorkshire puddings are one of the nicest things ever. i don't cook much from scratch and so just get the aunt bessie ones.

after reading crips post i'm craving veg, roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings, and paxo. lots and lots of paxo, i could just eat a bowl of stuffing tbh i love it.

Cats, this is a great topic hun,

that's great you're doing so much and varied cooking,

it's a great goal to be working on hun.

I must admit i have't been doing my food diary for couple of weeks now,

and realise cos i'm not reporting it weekly, haven't been pushing my fruit and veg intake as i should be.

So this has inspired me to start doing that again.

I''d like to try cooking a bit more as it is fuel and such so should maybe try and start learning this.

The main thing i find is our cooker takes at least twice the time it says on the packet for whatever i'm cooking and so i get bored and wander off and then it burns and i lose heart.

So tink i will keep in mind all the chefs :cheff: here

and will be bugging you all for tried and tested recipes for me to steal n try :D

But yeah big well done cats, your cooking sounds amazing hun

x

Cats, this is a great topic hun,

that's great you're doing so much and varied cooking,

it's a great goal to be working on hun.

I must admit i have't been doing my food diary for couple of weeks now,

and realise cos i'm not reporting it weekly, haven't been pushing my fruit and veg intake as i should be.

So this has inspired me to start doing that again.

I''d like to try cooking a bit more as it is fuel and such so should maybe try and start learning this.

The main thing i find is our cooker takes at least twice the time it says on the packet for whatever i'm cooking and so i get bored and wander off and then it burns and i lose heart.

So tink i will keep in mind all the chefs :cheff: here

and will be bugging you all for tried and tested recipes for me to steal n try :D

But yeah big well done cats, your cooking sounds amazing hun

x

I've got a ton of recipes so if you fancy trying something let me know and I'll put the recipe in here for you :) xx

Maybe this is meant to go in "What you last eat", ...But to me this is eating properly.

Just made ,Baked salmon with chorizo rice for our dinner.

It was was fucking yummy, heres how it's done if you fancy it

For the chorizo rice

100g chorizo

1 onion, sliced

1 garlic clove, sliced

200g short-grain rice such as arborio rice

4 tomatoes, roughly chopped

50g butter

1 tbsp parsley

600ml chicken stock

salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the salmon

4 x 150g salmon fillets, skinned

250g smoked salmon

1 lemon, juice only

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

Heat a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat and fry the chorizo for 3-4 minutes, or until crisp. Remove the chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until soft.

Place the chorizo, onion, garlic, rice, tomatoes, butter and parsley into a well-buttered casserole dish. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Pour over the chicken stock, cover with a tight-fitting lid and bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.

Meanwhile, wrap each salmon fillet in smoked salmon. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and squeeze over with the lemon juice.

Roast the salmon pieces in the oven for 6-8 minutes, or until cooked through.

Serve the salmon on top of the chorizo rice.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaann this is a good dinner, wish i cooked more

LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone is bored with veggies, try stir frying broccolli and green beans with garlic, ginger and chilli and finish off with a dash of soy sauce. Lovely bright green scrumptious tast virtuous veggies xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maybe this is meant to go in "What you last eat", ...But to me this is eating properly.

Just made ,Baked salmon with chorizo rice for our dinner.

It was was fucking yummy, heres how it's done if you fancy it

For the chorizo rice

100g chorizo

1 onion, sliced

1 garlic clove, sliced

200g short-grain rice such as arborio rice

4 tomatoes, roughly chopped

50g butter

1 tbsp parsley

600ml chicken stock

salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the salmon

4 x 150g salmon fillets, skinned

250g smoked salmon

1 lemon, juice only

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

Heat a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat and fry the chorizo for 3-4 minutes, or until crisp. Remove the chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until soft.

Place the chorizo, onion, garlic, rice, tomatoes, butter and parsley into a well-buttered casserole dish. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Pour over the chicken stock, cover with a tight-fitting lid and bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.

Meanwhile, wrap each salmon fillet in smoked salmon. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and squeeze over with the lemon juice.

Roast the salmon pieces in the oven for 6-8 minutes, or until cooked through.

Serve the salmon on top of the chorizo rice.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaann this is a good dinner, wish i cooked more

Oh my goodness this sounds divine but my hubby is a veggie so out goes the chorizo and he doesn't like salmon and will only eat fish if it doesn't look like fish :wacko: ie fish and chips in batter or breaded.

So I can't try this one - boo hoo :( xx

Last night I made homemade chilli with Quorn and we had that with jacket potatoes, homemade coleslaw and salad.

Fed Up those veggies sound lovely - will def give them a go - thanks :) xx

Sah - how did your stew and buttermilk biscuits go? Love stew in the winter months - proper comfort food :) xx

Interesting you should ask, because I didn't hate it omg! It was a really good first go.

I need bigger cookware was my main difficulty. I would add a bay leaf next time and smidge of garlic while I sauteed the onions. The biscuits were store bought dough, not from scratch. Other than that I am feeling good about it.

As promised for you lucky people, heres whats on the table for dinner tonight

Rogan josh

3 tbsp vegetable oil

2 shallots, peeled, finely sliced

½ tsp ground cinnamon

2 cardamom pods, husks removed

2 cloves

½ tsp cumin seeds

pinch garam masala

¼ tsp turmeric

pinch ground mace

½ tsp ground coriander

pinch hot chilli powder

2 garlic cloves, chopped

15g/½oz fresh root ginger, chopped

1 lamb chump chop, bone removed, cut into 2.5cm/1in cubes

2 tomatoes, skins removed, chopped

Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil in a frying pan, add the sliced shallots and fry for 3-4 minutes, or until softened but not coloured.Place the dried spices into a pestle and mortar and bash em up, making sure to crush the whole spices. Add the crushed spices to the shallots and fry for 1-2 minutes, or until the spices smell aromatic.Place the garlic, ginger and remaining vegetable oil into a blender and blend to make a smooth paste. Coat the lamb with the garlic and ginger paste and allow to marinate for five minutes. Add the lamb to the shallots and spices, stir well and cook for five minutes.Place the tomatoes into a blender and blend to a smooth paste. Add the tomato paste and water to the lamb, stir well, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat until the lamb is tender.

now the aloo gobi

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 teaspoon cumin seeds

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

! teaspoon coriander seeds

1 clove of crushed garlic

3 cm piece of grated ginger

2 small green chillis chopped

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon garam masala

salt to taste

1 chopped onion

2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed

500g cauliflower

1 teaspoon chopped fresh coriander

Preparation method

1. Heat a large frying pan and toast the mustard coriander and cumin seeds until they start to pop, then put them into a bowl or if you have one use a pesal and mortor , along with the chilli , garlic and all the other spices blend or bashed the fuck out of them with a bit of oil, then put it all back in the pan. And a bit more oil, and fry the onion for a minite or two. add the spuds,stir it up, coating the spuds. cover and cook on a medium heat for about 10 mins, stiring now and then.

2. Fix yourself a drink and chill out and savor the the great smells in your kitchen.

3. mix in the cauliflower and fesh coriander reduce the heat a bit and cook for about another 8-10 mins or until the spuds and cauli are tender. jobs a good-un.

You're a star :) thanks so much for that. I will try it on Monday as I've got the next couple of days sorted out. Thanks for sharing :) xx

It's a pleasure, The rogn josh is Atul Kochhars recipe, the man is a frikin legend, he was also the first Indian to win a michelin star.

I will put up my Onion Bhaji recipe a bit later ....enjoy

If there's anything else you wanna cook or need a tip or tow, just ask, I've got a few tricks up my sleeve, and now autumn and winter are on their way, big pot cooking is my specialty.

Oh yeah I'll def take you up on that - hubby is veggie so anything that can be adapted would be great. I run out of ideas all the time with not being able to use meat (and I am a butcher's daughter :lol: Dad would be turning if he knew that I am veggie 95% of the time!!). That chicken soup that you spoke about that could be adapted sounded good and big pot cooking is ideal for us because it means I can cook it in the morning when I've got the energy and then just re-heat it later. Hubby and I have different sleep patterns as well so we don't always eat together because he tends to eat later on when I'm ready for bed. So having something he can just heat up is brilliant. :) xx

No worries, I'll put up a couple of my soup ideas for you later.

I remember when I was working in the bar Filthy Macnastys, There were a few veggies pissing me off, so I wrote on the menu board "There's a place in this world for all gods creatures .............right beside the roast potatos"

(if your veggie, I'm sorry , I'm not trying to offend you......just that these guys were complete twats)

I'm not veggie but hubby is he just doesn't like it but he doesn't impose his views on others. I just don't eat meat at home because he can't stand the smell of meat cooking and so I do it out of compromise and respect for him. I am an alcoholic and so he never has alcohol in the house out of respect and compromise for me. We work together as a team to keep each other happy and safe.

If we go out, I will eat meat then but that's about it oh and some cold meats at home for sandwiches and don't worry no offence taken at all because I know how patronising and condescending and extreme some veggies can be.

I love what you wrote on the board :lol:

Forgot to say that recipe is my idea of heaven - loads of ingredients to weigh, chop, measure and bash "the fuck out of" :D . I've got a really nice granite pestle and mortar in the back of a cupboard somewhere so will be nice to use that again it. xx

marc you star!! I've always wanted to have a curry recipe I could a) cope with and then B) cook for other people.

Will deffo give those a go xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I spent almost a year and a half traveling around India and Pakistan,most of the time living with local families or just sleeping in a barn with the animals,so I learned how to cook traditional food .....got a shit load of great Indian veggie recipes for you malnourished veggies :cheff:

Archived