Mental Health Forums

Cooking And Eating Properly :)

catsmother21

I made my creamy carrot soup today. It's nice and silky, with a little spice for a perfect bit of warmth for the upcoming cold nights.

You'll need this lot to make around four big bowls.

600g of peeled chopped carrots.

1 pint of milk

small carton of natural yogurt

1 tblsp of coriander seeds

1 tblsp of cumin seeds

A good pinch of dried chilli flakes

1 large onion

A large knob of butter

1 orange

800 ml veg or chicken stock

2 shallots

Chopped parsley

This soup is easy to make, and once it's garnished looks pretty good.

In a dry hot pan toast the seeds for around a minute, then grind em in a pastel and mortar.

Now in a large pan, add the butter chopped onion,ground seeds and chilli flakes, cook on a medium heat for around 10 minutes.

Then add the carrots and stock, and simmer until the carrots are cooked. Once done, put in a blender until smooth and put it back in the pan.

Now add the milk and juice from your orange (keep the orange skins for later)

keep it on a gentle heat until ready to serve.

now for the garnish you'll need to peel and slice your shallots, then fry until crispy the put them aside on some kitchen paper. Finley grate the peal from the orange and chopped the parsley.

Serve it up in bowls, with a good drizzle of the yogurt then add a small pile of the parsley and shallots and top with a sprinkle of the orange peel and some freshly ground black pepper.

Oooh cheers for this - looks stunning! Am glad you put it up, I have some sad looking carrots, a sweet potato going begging and a butternut squash looking all clumsy and doleful so I thought I'd better get souping and their lovely orangey, autumn flavours will work well together!

So, I think I'll take up your spicy suggestions and get cracking in a mo.

For dinner today I went v Nigella - dead easy..

Get a wok or big pan out, heat some oil (don't need loads) and fry some cumin seeds. Add a tin of drained chick peas, a bag of rocket ( I'm sure a bag of watercress/spinach or a mixture will do fine, whatever you fancy) and some salt and pepper.

Nigella recommends adding some sherry but I'm afraid i'm not a sherry supping gal. So i added a shake or rice wine vinegar. Heated it all through for 30secs and there you go - done.

Was lovely!! Had it with some halibut i'd baked with a knob of butter and squeeze of lemon.

Will crack on with soup later - cheers marc xxxxxxxxxxxx

I made my creamy carrot soup today. It's nice and silky, with a little spice for a perfect bit of warmth for the upcoming cold nights.

You'll need this lot to make around four big bowls.

600g of peeled chopped carrots.

1 pint of milk

small carton of natural yogurt

1 tblsp of coriander seeds

1 tblsp of cumin seeds

A good pinch of dried chilli flakes

1 large onion

A large knob of butter

1 orange

800 ml veg or chicken stock

2 shallots

Chopped parsley

This soup is easy to make, and once it's garnished looks pretty good.

In a dry hot pan toast the seeds for around a minute, then grind em in a pastel and mortar.

Now in a large pan, add the butter chopped onion,ground seeds and chilli flakes, cook on a medium heat for around 10 minutes.

Then add the carrots and stock, and simmer until the carrots are cooked. Once done, put in a blender until smooth and put it back in the pan.

Now add the milk and juice from your orange (keep the orange skins for later)

keep it on a gentle heat until ready to serve.

now for the garnish you'll need to peel and slice your shallots, then fry until crispy the put them aside on some kitchen paper. Finley grate the peal from the orange and chopped the parsley.

Serve it up in bowls, with a good drizzle of the yogurt then add a small pile of the parsley and shallots and top with a sprinkle of the orange peel and some freshly ground black pepper.

ahhhhh, I forgot something very important, you'll also need a large can of butter beans. Drain and add them at the same time as the carrots.

marc xxxx

• 2 weeks later...

My mood has picked up a bit since I've not been well hubby has been cooking or I've just not been eating but feeling the urge to cook today:)

So we are having some comfort food for dinner later - shepherd's pie, parsnip rostis, leeks and gravy :)

Making a leek and mushroom pie with a puff pastry top, roast potatoes, roast parsnips and broccoli for dinner later today - new recipe so hope it's good! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I hit on an absoloute winner for dinner tonight, both me and ym Marley cleaned our plates.

We were avin a mooch around Brainscury's (Sainsburys) on the look out for any special offers , as usual.

So here's how to cook what we found to put in the dinner.

Four large Vivaldi baking spuds

two of them very nice small cauliflowers

200g of Taste the difference Brie

600ml double Cream ( only use about 350-400 for the dish)

fresh sage

200g of ham hock

one 400g can of cut french beans

you'll also need some

freshly grated nutmeg

salt

black pepper

4 garlic cloves

Tobasco sauce

Get your oven on nice and hot or the grill, it dont really matter which one.

Boil up your kettle and thickly slice the spuds (about 2cm)

break up the cauliflowers and bung the lot into a large pan of boiling water, and boil for about 15 mins or until tender

while that lot in bubbling away, get a big bowl and, put in the cream, finely chopped garlic, finely chopped sage, drained beans, chopped brie, ham (leave out if you're a vegie......no shit sherlock) , around 2 tsp nutmeg, salt, pepper and a good splash of tobasco.

once the spuds and cauli are cooked, add it to the bowl and mix it up, then transfer to an oven dish and heat through or grill untill its browned on top.

serve up with some nice bread, (we cooked some of them part baked bagets)

enjoy......yummy

marc x

Absolutely stunning. Proper November scran!!

I need lightening quick snacks that are actually nutritious please ( ie smokey bacon wheat crunchies and Bounty bars aren't allowed) - I have a weekend of hell ahead of me preparing for mega lesson on Monday and have no time to cook.

Any suggestions welcome folks!! Mega thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Absolutely stunning. Proper November scran!! I need lightening quick snacks that are actually nutritious please ( ie smokey bacon wheat crunchies and Bounty bars aren't allowed) - I have a weekend of hell ahead of me preparing for mega lesson on Monday and have no time to cook. Any suggestions welcome folks!! Mega thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
#

I've got a few, but can you wait till a bit later today for me to put up some good quick grub?

In the mean time grab some tortillas(flat bred) a can of refried beans and some cheese.

much....munch love.

marc x

Absolutely stunning. Proper November scran!! I need lightening quick snacks that are actually nutritious please ( ie smokey bacon wheat crunchies and Bounty bars aren't allowed) - I have a weekend of hell ahead of me preparing for mega lesson on Monday and have no time to cook. Any suggestions welcome folks!! Mega thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We always try to eat healthily. We have veggie days about 3 times a week. We always grill meat, unless it's a roast. Always have loads of veg.

If it was just me I would eat crap. Just because I wouldn't be bothered. But I like my boyfriend to eat well and I make him nice meals. I also like a lot of salt, especially in spicy food, but I don't put it in the food. It's causes heart conditions and strokes and don't want my boyfriend to get those because of my love of salt. So I just put it on my plate, and lots of it.

I only eat one meal a day, and that is at tea time. I have a protein shake at work for lunch to keep hunger away.

Archived