Mental Health Forums

Am I Self Harming?

Bonkers101

Hey

I'm hoping to get some advice here as its just occurred to me today that I may have been self harming for a number of years now without realising it....

I pick and bite at the skin around my cuticles (esp thumbs) so bad that they bleed. It isn't an all year round thing, its just when I get a bit of dry skin, I pick and bite it till the area is red raw, scabby and bleeding. When I start doing it, I can't stop and it looks really awful. It makes me feel terrible as it feels like a compulsion - my boyfriend begs me not to do it but I still do it.

Any advice is welcome!!! Apart from looking unsightly, its really sore!

Thanks

xx

it sounds more like a habitual thing rather than deliberate if you only do it when you get a bit of dry skin.

i do a similar thing, pick my skin on my feet till it bleeds but if the skin didnt start peeling in the 1st place i wouldnt do it, so its more like a compultion i think where as s.h is more of a spur of the moment thing after upset or a trigger.

hope that makes sesne

dunno tho cos im no expert

You have described exactly what it is emogirl - I only do it when the skin is dry so it is a total habit...

I wish I could break the habit - I feel like a muppet when I'm in bits with the pain that I have totally caused myself :(

i know im the same when i pick my feet, but i cant help myself when i see skin peeling i just have to pick it - sorry hope im not making anyone feel sick lol

its a habit i had since a kid, goodness i wud even pick someone esles skin if they let me :blush: but they wont haha can u blame them !!

I started off doing it as a habit but now if I'm feeling stressed or vulnerable I push the skin until it splits and peel my fingers. When I was assessed for BPD by my pdoc he asked me what methods of self harm I did or had ever done. When I had finished my fingers were dripping. He gave me a tissue and said "that's self harm too!"

Hahahaha Emogirl I'm the same!!!

My boyfriend has renamed me 'pick-ety-witch'.....it drives him crazy...

Shadowgirl - I am worse if I am stressed about something, do you think thats the important thing to consider?

I am hopefully getting therapy soon so will bring it up with them but was just interested on feedback from you guys :)

does when you do it for havbit mean you are self harming ?? i dunno i dont see it like that.

my opinion is if u doing it whenu not anxous then its not a form of s.h

shadow u said it started as a habit but now u do it wen you are stressed etc so maybe it is s.h for you

My H does this it drives me nuts because I'll be driving and I hear him nibbling for him its when he's nervous not at my driving , hehhehe no but so much but when he's trying to work things out.

habit but tell him see u do it tooo. Ha busted mister. not u my H sorry many thoughts at once making it a bit difficult to speak straiight. srry xxB

Archived