Mental Health Forums

First Appointment ,appauled

Pst291

Hi there forum and thanks for reading my first post

Im looking for some help and advice here

Im 30 Male,in the UK (scotland) and i had my first appointment with a general psychiatrist yesterday

Im SHOCKED at what i was told

Over the last year ive been hearing voices in my head .At first i thouht it was no big deal and it would pass

These voices got sinister very suddenly and the frequency and volume and severity increased over time

It has gotten to the stage that i cant think straight , i constantly have evil thoughts as thats all they talk about and its hard not to think about something when its been screamed at you all day every day

At night i have horrific dreams which is basicly a visual representation of what the voices say during the day

Basicly im tormented day and night

My coping mechanism for this is basicly that over the last few years ive become almost emotionless so the visual stimulus really doesnt affect me and im smart enuff to know that altho the voices arnt real i dont have to listen even tho its hard when they scream

I told all this to the psyche and he told me "with a straight face" Its COMPLETLY NORMAL

He said i have become a victim of my enviroment (i dont leave the house too much as its too stressfull to deal with the outside world as well as my own head )

Get some fresh air and youll bounce back and the voices will dissapear?

If i wasnt so levell headed id be for killing myself the attitude i got ,basicly mocked and told ,, get a grip you idiot and stop wasting my time

All this and i had to do this in front of some trainee

Thoughts ???

all input appreciated

If i wasnt so levell headed id be for killing myself the attitude i got ,

I don't understand what you mean?

If you don't engage with any one then you will feel unwell, although I don't know if you'd hear voices. A lot of people do hear voices and aren't "Mentally Ill".

Have you been dx'ed with a mental illness?

No i havent been Dx,d with anything ,,,i went to the gp as the voices etc are just getting to much for me to bear ,, its all day every day then at night its the dreams ,,,its a horrid existance

my sociall isolation is my choice ,, me n my gf live together so i interact with her ,, im a complete comp geek so i spend huge amouts of time online doing this n that but my social isolation is my choice ,, i can go out whenever i want ,, i choose not to as generally i dont like engaging with ppl as for the most part i find them to be dim stupid and unengaging ,, im not saying everyone is stupid ,, but i see idiots and stupidity everywhere and id rather distance myself from that

i went to this guy for help and basicly got told ,,voices are normal bit of fresh air and itll stop......but he doesnt have to live with this shit every day

I hear you hunni, it isn't nice to be dismissed. I do think fresh air and social interaction is far more important than you're rating it though. I think you should go back to your doctor but any help you get from mental health team will involve fresh air and social interaction.

I think I would be tempted to write and ask to be re-assessed and before then I would make a point of getting some fresh air and increased social interaction of some sort so that if he tries that on you again you can say "I do that and it hasn't helped!" (If it hasn't).

Hi

Sorry this happened. I've literally just logged in to Facebook and seen a link to this posted by 'Time to Change' "

Rachel has written a really wonderful blog about hearing voices and how her psychiatrist told her "It does not mean you are mad, or insane, it means your brain is confused and panicking."

http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/blog/i-hear-voices-human-not-crazy

I haven't read it but it might be a good read?

Jenny x

yeah i went to my gp first and explained what i have explained in my first post.he said id get a referral and it was a 3 week wait untill yesterday which was my appointment with the general psyche at some place close to where i live

Im utterly stunned that after hearing what i told him he said "with a straight face" in front of some trainee that it was copletly normal and nothing to be worried about

The only reason i went for help is because i personally think i need it ,, ive coped well with itup till now but when i seriously think im at risk i get shoo,d out the door with a "dont bother me with your problems boy" frsh air and excercise ,,,jeez my dad couldve gave me that diagnosis as its what he thinks is the cure for everything

It stuns me that this guy gets paid to do this ,,,,and worse still ,,,,is teaching others that horrific voices etc etc is perfecly normal

Hi

Sorry this happened. I've literally just logged in to Facebook and seen a link to this posted by 'Time to Change' "

Rachel has written a really wonderful blog about hearing voices and how her psychiatrist told her "It does not mean you are mad, or insane, it means your brain is confused and panicking."

http://www.time-to-c...human-not-crazy

I haven't read it but it might be a good read?

Jenny x

Nice read ...I dont think im crazy either ,, i still have rational thought (altho if that goes im fooked lol )

Hearing voices that scare you is not normal and you certainly have to get some help. Do you think your ps didn't believe you?Decided that you fake to get benefits? There are some people here that hear nasty voices, they might advise you better than me.Please,don't upset yourself too much, it is difficult to get help today, You r not alone.

Hearing voices doesn't mean that you are crazy, by the way. However, if they upset you too much, you should get help.

I don't know if this is because I'm from the States so the NHS is different to your health insurance but I always think it is about money. The NHS is like a crazy scheme that is so expensive even with taxation that people can get real ill before any help is given. It would cost less to treat people before things get so bad. Not exclusive to mental health.

Hearing voices that scare you is not normal and you certainly have to get some help. Do you think your ps didn't believe you?Decided that you fake to get benefits? There are some people here that hear nasty voices, they might advise you better than me.Please,don't upset yourself too much, it is difficult to get help today, You r not alone.

I did get that impression ,,, as if he thought i was somehow faking ,,altho for what reason i would fake this i really cant fathom ,,,i dont know of any benifits that would be gained and id be horrified to think that ,i know there are ppl out there suffering worse than me and if they were treated the same ,, i know it sent me into a proper downer ,someone with full on psychosis who knows what they would do

feels like because i wasnt in that room acting like a homicidal manic warranted me just to be shunned to one side

i felt proper bad when i came home from it .like id wasted ppls time and that theyd just be laughing at me (honestly felt i was being mocked in the room at the time with his condesending voice and attitide then basicly sent packing )

this is very new territory for me so i really dont know what to make of it ,hence joining the forum etc etc

you guys n gals have been brilliant

I never could get help from docs in this country.At least your GP is nice.

Listen there is a chance that your Ps will change or go crazy or something...

May be to do as Barbones suggested...

I mean it is easy to say that people with voices are crazy and put them on a chain. People like you are as clever as anybody else , they are logical and have insight. It is just a predicament as any other and they should give you a therapist who would listen to you.

By the way, I am not so sure about JK Rowling-where did she find all those ideas about magicians and magic wands and so on.She took it from somewhere- may be from her head? But they didn't put her on a chain.

I thought briefly about just not going back ,,,but i think that will be a bad idea,,,im gonna go back as i really wanna know what else thsi guy has to say ,,,should be more interesting than helpful ,, but im gonna get onto my gp explain the situ to him and find someone else

Feeling dismissed is awful, makes you feel like not bothering at all with the help eh.

I know this might not be what you want to be hearing, and it's awful that you aren't getting help but maybe take the message as it's nothing to be majorly worried about like it'll destroy your world. He might be blaze because it can be fixed in the worst case scenario, its when the health professionals get worried that you have problems!

*hug*

If all else fails, nothing wrong with seeing someone else, might not be the doc for you :)

Hi there forum and thanks for reading my first post

Im looking for some help and advice here

Im 30 Male,in the UK (scotland) and i had my first appointment with a general psychiatrist yesterday

Im SHOCKED at what i was told

Over the last year ive been hearing voices in my head .At first i thouht it was no big deal and it would pass

These voices got sinister very suddenly and the frequency and volume and severity increased over time

It has gotten to the stage that i cant think straight , i constantly have evil thoughts as thats all they talk about and its hard not to think about something when its been screamed at you all day every day

At night i have horrific dreams which is basicly a visual representation of what the voices say during the day

Basicly im tormented day and night

My coping mechanism for this is basicly that over the last few years ive become almost emotionless so the visual stimulus really doesnt affect me and im smart enuff to know that altho the voices arnt real i dont have to listen even tho its hard when they scream

I told all this to the psyche and he told me "with a straight face" Its COMPLETLY NORMAL

He said i have become a victim of my enviroment (i dont leave the house too much as its too stressfull to deal with the outside world as well as my own head )

Get some fresh air and youll bounce back and the voices will dissapear?

If i wasnt so levell headed id be for killing myself the attitude i got ,basicly mocked and told ,, get a grip you idiot and stop wasting my time

All this and i had to do this in front of some trainee

Thoughts ???

all input appreciated

I would say that you have some psychotic features, but unlike psychosis, you are not delusional as you know the voices are not real.

I've had drug induced psychosis and I got diagnosed once when I forgot that the voices were not real. Voices were a common thing for me after taking speed, and I used to 'play' with them, and they were benign.

When they became sinister, that's when I forgot they weren't real.

When I look back, all the things about the persecutory voices, the 'imaginary people's characters' who the voices came from, and the nature of the persecution were all mirror images of things I had internalized in my life.

The psychosis gave me a positive thing. It made me more aware of the distrust in people I have deep within my subconscious and it made me aware that my outer world is nowhere near as bad as my inner world.

Sorry your psych dismissed you, but I think psychs just throw pharmecutical drugs at psychosis nowadays, instead of looking into the material to see how we can use it as tools to resolve our inner conflicts.

Ideally, you would be placed with a therapist who would encourage you to journal what these voices say or make images of anything you may 'see'.

Doing this can be very emotionally taxing, but cathartic, and the more we are kind to ourselves, the less painful a journey it is.

If we go into it with a dislike for ourselves or hateful feelings towards ourselves, the work will be frustrating and seem all the more scary.

Inner conflicts are often wrongly accquired in childhood. We must treat ourselves kindly when we are taken back to childhood in our minds, because, if a real child of the same age came to us, scared and bewildered, we would not be horrible to that child, so why be horrible to ourselves.

Children soak up stuff like sponges, and something as simple as being called an idiot by a parent who is just in a bad mood can scar us, until we realise that our parent only hurt us because they were hurt themselves and want to boost their low self esteem by trying to look bigger than us.

Dream diaries are very theraputic too. Dreams are the gateway to our subconscious. Psychosis is an overspill of the unconscious into the conscious. The more conscious we are the less llikely we are to become psychotic.

I hope your psychiatrist does not fob you off again, but I hope he does not give you drugs, because these close the gateway to the subconscious, so more material is stuffed down there, giving a greater risk of psychosis.

This is just my opinion based on my experience of psychosis, both aware of voices being false and unaware.

I would defo get another opinion. I hear voices too but also have other symptoms. Theres various reasons for vioces. I cant dx u but think your psych is a prat

They dont all understand unfortunately just like other drs some are good some dont give a f***

Get a 2nd opinion

U need to find one that will listen to you

good luck xx

Thank you all for your wonderful input .Incase your wondering (and this not go in my favour ) my avatar is me,,im male ,,,but trans x

Inputs all been great and i now know exactly what i need to do x

I dunno ,,, some dont favour the trans community ,,,,seem to think were al perverts who jerk off in womens knickers ,,sadly not the case but stigma is stigma,,,,some ruin it for others x

Archived