Mental Health Forums

Help! Ocd Or Schizophrenia!

USER369

Never done this before guys but I really want some advice from people out there. :ashamed0005:

Ill start from the beginning, I am a 22 year old female and about 3 years ago I had an episode of intrusive sexual thoughts which made me depressed, anxious because they were so upsetting, went to see my GP who prescribed me anti-depressants. I was on them for about 6 months but then I stopped taking them didn't question my mind or think about the thoughts again and I was my perfect self for 2 years. Didn't have another episode until June last year when I was stressed with work and all of sudden before sleep one night I had those exact same thoughts again which truly disturbed me as I know I would not act them out in a million years. Went to see the GP again who prescribed me the same anti-depressants and I have been on them since. I wasn't diagnosed with anything but with doing a bit of research It was possible that I could have OCD. All my symptoms matched up with the disorder.

I have helped myself this time and learnt to let the thoughts come and go and haven't try to beat them away, because I know I wouldn't do anything of the sort. So I just thought they are just thoughts nothing more and so for the last 3 months I have been great, again my usual self.

NOW. I have been doing night shifts in work and in the day sleep more than 12 hours at a time and staying up later because I am not tired etc, BODY CLOCK IS MESSED UP. So last night before sleep, I heard in my own mind & in my own voice to harm myself or my mum. Which may I add I wouldn't do!!!! This obviously made me severely anxious and upset and all day I have been crying and panicking!!! Do I have schizophrenia?!?! They are not auditory voices or I am not experiencing anything else associated with this illness but I am worried it could be this?!?! Or could it just be the OCD which I originally thought last year! HELP I am severely worried I will be sectioned or go into a mental hospital!

I now think the OCD has gone from sexual intrusive thoughts to violent ones! Could this be possible as well as hearing my own voice!7

I have worried in the past and recently over and over again could I have schizophrenia.. when I know I havent!

If anyone could help me that would be great!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been diagnosed with OCD and I have very intrusive thoughts myself. They can be sexual, violent, and disturbing thoughts that just pop into my head unbidden. I usually try to shake them off as I don't like to have them because they upset me a good deal. I don't know much about Schizophrenia, but I can say that what you have said seems more like OCD to me. I'm not trying to diagnose you, but I would talk to your GP and see if you need a new medicine or a new dosage. I obsess a lot more than I have compulsions, though I do have a fair bit of those. Once you have those terrible thoughts you think too hard on them. The intrusive thoughts can be extremely upsetting and disturbs me at times. So you are not alone in this. If this is OCD you don't need to worry that you will hurt anyone, they are just thoughts and you realize that they aren't going to happen and that they are unreasonable.

Again my advice is to talk to your GP about it. I hope you figure out what it is and can get the proper help to reduce these thoughts. xxx

Hannah

I would go to your GP hun and explain everything to them (don't worry they have heard everything before) they can offer you help or advise you where to go.

LBB xx

Archived