Mental Health Forums

Preparing For The "new Edition"

misty_waters

i'm getting my kitten on sunday!! I never expected it to happen soo soon. i was going to go out at the weekend and get everything but now im going to have to do it all sunday morning and it's just blown my mind and made me all flustered and i can't think of what i need to get... :/

i know some of you guys love cats so i thought you could maybe help me with what i need???

i know i need:

-litter tray

-kitty litter

-collar

-bed (although it can sleep in mine whether O likes it or not heehee)

-feeding bowls

-kitten food

Other then that i can't think... :/

i'll upload pictures!!! ^_^

Yeah all that sounds good. Whatever box you are picking them up in, a carry cage is best, especially if they are scared of cars, and you'll need a big one for when they grow up, so you might as well get it now, get a strong plastic one... as they can get out of the old fashioned woven ones... and get a blanket, or some of your jumpers, so they can sit in them whilst they get to know the place... give him/her a few days of her own to explore and get used to the new environment, but encourage with treats... and cuddles if they don't mind being picked up.

Also get a few toys, squeaky mice, things with feathers on, and things they can chase... :-) Even at a little diddy babby age, they love played (they're not very good at catching things, but it's cute to see them try).

Get soft food and hard food, so there is always a bit of hard food available (unless your cat likes to overeat, then you need to be more organised)

but soft food wise, helps their bowels/poos come regularly and not get constipated...

Ah, and I tried my two on a variety of soft foods, and as soon as I have them the most expensive Felix, ' as good as it looks' style, they refuse to eat any of the cheaper brands (or even some of the more expensive ones) so I'd start as you mean to go on... I guess it does look and smell tastier than the other types, but if money is an issue, they maybe keep to cheaper sorts?

Is it a girl or a boy you are getting? xxx

ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh!!! kitty!!! :D :D :D yay!! you best share pictures!! :)

everything you've listed there is a good start :) how old is kitten, and where are you getting it (he? she?) from?

flea and worm treatment is important too.... you'll need to check if they're up to date with that or if they need it when you bring the little furbaby home.

Please please please don't use bob martin products..... for young kittens best flea treatment is frontline (i use advantage now mine are a little older which is just as good but a lot cheaper) but you will need to speak to vet about it to make sure you get the right one for age and weight of kitten, so for this reason is best to spend a bit more initially on that directly from the vets.
Vets will also sell worming tablets/liquid. Drontal, milebax and panacur are all good quality wormers that wont hurt your kitty, just make sure that they are suitable for kittens that age.

you can get these online too hun or at vets not very expensive at all - drontal at my vets is £1.65 a tablet and i give half to my two kittens. the others get varying amounts as it goes by weight and one in particular is a biiiig boy (i have 5 cats in total) xxxx

it does work out cheaper to order online if you're in the uk, & i can provide loads of websites where you can save a fair few pennies too. unsure about elsewhere though, sorry. xxx

with litter, you can also order than online to be delivered and it generally works out so much cheaper than bag by bag from the corner shop/pet shop/supermarket/town. I used wood based litter for my cats as the gravel is very dusty and gets on my chest. The only thing with woodbase is some of it turns to sawdust and gets everywhere, but i order a 30l (HUGE) bag of Sophisticat woodbased cat litter online from Monster Pet Supplies and it saves me about 20 pounds and with 5 cats, 6 trays, being emptied every other day, lasts me 4-6 weeks :)

Have you thought about toys for the kitty? TBH, i only have a laser pointer pen specifically made as a cat toy which i play with all of them with, and the kittens get scrumpled up reciepts and scrumpled balls of tin foil and it keeps them busy for hours!!! :) a lot cheaper too! but feather chasey type toys with a feather on the end of a string attached to a stick are great fun and it's sooo cute to see little kitten all hyper and backflipping all over the room :)

what about scratchposts?? Kittens and cats do need to scratch to keep their claws at a comfortable length. Is best to provide several places where they're allowed to scratch which goes a long way to deter from scratching sofa...carpet....walls....you... LOL :)

might also be worth getting some anti-scratch spray if kitty does take a liking to furniture, but that isnt a necessity.

will keep thinking..... but think so long as you have the following covered, then you're golden :) -

kitten food (i give a mix of wet kitten food and dry kitten food until they're a year old - mine are on whiskas wet with a mix of go cat and whiskas dry),
water bowl and food bowl
collar (though be careful with this if kitty is tiny, 7 make sure it has a safety release catch as they can get tangled/caught and really injured )
flea and worm treatment
litter tray and litter

are you going to get them microchipped?? vet will have more info on that for you but i know my local council provide microchipping for £10 each animal, and vets are about the same too :)

hope this helps :)

xxx

also

duh! forgot to mention of course about neutering too. So important, and most vets will neuter from 16 weeks now. generally they will neuter as soon as kitty weighs at least 1kg. You can get help with this too if on certain benefits - can contact cats protection league or rspca neuter scheme (numbers will be avail online) and they will help too, but generally cost about £60. Well worth it, without a doubt. xxx Also vaccinations should be considered too. If you get your kitten registered with your vets in the kitten club, then usually you pay a small amount and flea and worm treatment is covered for upto a year and free health checks for first 6 months-year depending on vets, and injections are covered too.) xx

also would advise that if kitty is to ever be let outside, ( all but one of mine are indoors only, and he is only allowed out as he was a stray for a long time before he came to me and it distresses him too much to keep him in.... but winter he is indoors only regardless) to NOT let them out before they're a year old. They just dont have the sense generally to cope with the big wide world, they have a lot of learning to do first and need to develop some sense of danger, as as small kittens they have none. xxx

thank you guys for all your replys!!!

oh gosh! i completely forgot about a box!!! i think i'll ask my mum if i can borrow her's for now...

her cat got put down today :'(

yes lots of treats and cuddles!!!

i might get one of those things with the feathers on...

they're 11 weeks... there's 1 girl and 2 boys. i don't know which one im going to get yet... im going to just fall in love one the day and take my baby home... heehee

i plan for him/her to be an inside cat... i live in a bit of a dodgey part of town (they would steals it if they knew how much they were worth :S)

deffo getting him/her neutered :) i live next door to a vets so takeing them is the first thing i wanna do... get them weighed, health check etc...

I don't know anything about cats (I love them but my parents aren't keen on animals) but I'm really happy for you that you are getting one already :)

Thinking about what's not been listed :glasses02:

Poop scoop (good one in tescos about £1.20)

Old supermarket carrier bags or vegetable bags doubled up (cos they got little holes in bag) to put poops & wee in.

A coir mat, sort of outdoor mat but have it inside where they can exercise their claws (cheaper option to cat scratchers). My boy never took to these, but love the mat and saves my furniture.

Yeowww cat nip toys are great. the feathery things my cats never took to, but it will take time to know what your kitty will like, so don't spend a fortune in the first instance. Get to know him/her and start off cheap.

both my cats loved knocking milk bottle tops across the floor. Preferred this any day to shop bought mice or feathery toys.

Couple of cardboard boxes to jump in and out or even sleep in.

Old cardboard egg boxes (not polystyrene). One of mine loved tearing it apart into little pieces.

Long piece of string or wool that they can chase,

How very exciting for you.xxxxx Look forward to seeing piccys.xx

(((((misty_waters ))))) Oh no!! Please tell us more what happened............................Have you parted with money already?

Really sorry you haven't got your kitty today, and you were so looking forward as were we too, for you,

Please tell us more, you must be really gutted..........

Huge hugs.xxx

no... just a high phone bill and £45 petrol and a wasted day.

we drove 140 miles to west sussex.

she suggested using a animal trasportation company, but it was cheaper to drive so she gave me "her address" and her "contact number"

turned up and there was an old man, we explained why we were there and he apologized and said we are not the first people to drive to his address looking for kittens.

so we gave her a ring and "her son" answered rudly telling us she's in holiday in canada. then checked phone bill and saw that i'd been charged £50 for a 3min phone call

(((misty_waters))) Please will you contact the Metropolitan Police about thisa.s.a.p and maybe CrimeStoppers too.x I'm so sorry this has happened to you and the b**********s must be stopped!

I hope you and am sure that you're puddy cat with give you as much love as mine has. You're can't beat a cat for knowing when you're not doing so well and they will give you lots of extra cuddles. Playing with them and giving them lots of love and treats as well as what the vets ask you to do will give you the most loving companion and, in my case, the nuttiest and funniest cat you could wish for. Long may you love and adore each other xx

Oh lordy -my mistake for only reading the first post. I hope you have sorted this out now :( If not, please try the next time with a reputable cat breeder or rescue place. Oh gosh I am so sorry it must have been so disappointing but I hope that you find a puddy tat that you can love and adore soon xxxx

Maybe contact local cat rescue centres and see if they have any hairless ones that need rescuing, and see if you can be put on a list. I would guess they wouldn't be too popular... as they're not fluffy... so they might be keen to have someone ready when they get one?

So sorry to hear you've been scammed. I've been scammed recently, think I got my money back (awaiting to check bank balance)... but yeah makes me very mad :-( xxx

it's okay... i was really really upset about it yesterday... but i just have to learn from it i guess... i didn't care about the money, i was more upset about not having a little companion.

i thought it was a reputable site kittensforadoption.co.uk . i tried to report them but the account had been deleted... so there was nothing that i could do about that.

thank you all for your kind words... i'm not going to give up looking!

Have you tried contacting breed-specific rescues in your area hunni?? So sorry this has happened - how awful! :(

you WILL get your kitty, will just take a little more time. I would contact - Cats Protection League. There will be a local one to you plus rescues all around the country where if there was a cat you wished to adopt then you could travel or i know in some circumstances volunteers have helped bring the cat home to you.

Also worth checking with the RSPCA and any other cat rescue in your area.
Most likely, there will be long term fosterers associated with the rspca and CPL who will provide long term care for a certain breed of cat - it wont be largely advertised if at all, but they will know if you ask them about it and will be able to help you -
http://www.cats.org.uk/find-us?loc=2
http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/rehoming

Pets4Homes is supposed to be quite good as well, but i would warn to be extremely cautious as a lot of these cats are just used as breeding machines to be able to fulfill the needs of the buyers who want more and more and more kittens. This is why i don't go to breeders, all 5 of my kitty furbabies are rescues and its why i would suggest speaking to rescues local to you first of all.

xxxxx

Archived