Mental Health Forums

Can Ocd Develop Into A Psychotic Illness Over Time?

drop_out

Or are they 2 completely seperate conditions?I have OCD , visited a Psychiatrist a few weeks ago, who was studying me for a psychotic illness, He later told me i wasn't in his opnion suffering psychosis, but now i'm not sure sure. Perhaps i'm worrying over nothing as there is no family history of pschosis, Are psychotic illnesses geneticly passed on are can they generate in an individual randomly?

• 10 months later...

I know this response is about a year late :blush02: but in a word: NO!!! OCD and psychotic disorders are all separate and distinct illnesses.

Psychotic illnesses can be passed down genetically, but even there it's certainly not a "sure thing". For example, you can have a family history of severe Bipolar Disorder but may never suffer from the illness yourself. Even in studies with identical twins (identical DNA) it is possible for one twin to have schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder and for the other twin to be free of the illness. There is a genetic element in many mental illnesses (not just psychoses), but it certainly doesn't mean that every family member (or even most family members) will be affected.

And people with no family history of mental illness can develop anything from OCD, to panic attacks, to outright psychotic illnesses, but this is rare.

I don't think you need to worry for one second about developing any kind of psychosis! And remember, the fear of developing psychosis "going mad" is a common fear among ppl with OCD--but a fear is all it is, it doesn't happen! :)

Archived