Mental Health Forums

Got A Job! :d

Silverwolf

I am now a paid working person again - am very chuffed!!!! :D:masked::masked::masked::masked:

After over 2 years of applying for jobs I got my first interview of 2013 a few weeks ago, and was offered the job later on that same day. :sm.jpg:

It's part time, so eases me back into work after being out of the scene for so long, and it's admin for a not-for-profit group that help peeps with disability find work and a career.

So I've now been there for 2 weeks and am loving every minute of it!

They are a really nice, friendly bunch and are cool with doing reasonable adjustments for me.

When I went in on my first day everyone was coming up to me congratulating me on getting the job, which made my self esteem go waaaaaaaay up! B)

I'd been looking in the charity and not for profit work areas more recently for jobs as I felt it would be good to work for a place that has values I agree with and so that I can feel I'm making a difference in some small way.

Aaaaaand I total 48miles a week cycling there so that keeps my weight under control with me meds!

Love to all

a very happy Wolfy :lmaosmiley:

Sooooo happy to hear this!!

That is awesome!! You deserve it and I know from experience youre also a really good employee to have.

Lily

Thanks Lily :D

aaaw cheers that's really kind to say.

Thanks Tan, it was all a bit of the rush with the interview notice being 1day before interview, but yeah am really happy.

You kinda find your identity gets tangled up with work, and I was getting to the point at xmas where when peeps asked what I did (as you do when you first meet peeps) where i wanted to tell them i was in training for NASA just to shut them up really!

Pickle - cheers hun - yes am very happy kinda bounding (in a good way) - or that maybe just cos I'm listening to this:

http://youtu.be/mIQToVqDMb8

yayyyyyyyyyyy woooooooooooooo :sm.jpg:

*gets the pompoms out and does the happy dance*

loads of love and huggles xxx

Thanks everyone :D

Just wanted to clarify that the disabilities side covers us too with MH issues, but it's a voluntary choice to have their help, they're not the work programmes peeps are sent to when their benefits are threatened.

-So don't fear I have not gone to the Dark Side!- ;)

I went to them to try and sort me out wiv work and I ended up working for them. :lol:

One thing I just wanna Big Up here though is Work Trials.

You work for the company you're applying for for a couple of days so you can both see whether it's a good fit or not.

Peeps on benefits won't have their benefits stopped when they do this, so it's like a taste and see so that you don't risk starting a job, losing benefits finding the job isn't right then waiting for your benefit application to go through again.

I did this although not on benefits, and it was great because I could SHOW them what I could do rather than just an interview which relies on being a good talker.

Wolfy

x

Well done Silverwolf!

Kinda topical with the benefit cuts this week in the UK too.

Glad it worked out for you.

Do not agree with benefit cuts/ stressing out vunerable ill people of course, but it's good advice to give people- to give these Work Trials a go if you have nothing to lose. I think a lot of people are scared. It's good you have found a positive.

Good luck with it , hugs xx am

Well done Silverwolf!

Kinda topical with the benefit cuts this week in the UK too.

Glad it worked out for you.

Do not agree with benefit cuts/ stressing out vunerable ill people of course, but it's good advice to give people- to give these Work Trials a go if you have nothing to lose. I think a lot of people are scared. It's good you have found a positive.

Good luck with it , hugs xx am

Thanks AM,

yeah, I do not agree wiv the benefits cuts either or stressing out vulnerable ill peeps.

The group I work with, you choose to go to them if you feel you are wanting to look for work but are having trouble getting work because of employers discriminating etc.

They have links to employers so if you want to apply for somewhere they will use their contacts to let them know that they have someone who is suitable for the post. They will then work with the employers to educate them about your particular disability and any reasonable adjustments you want. They will stay with you up to 2years into that work placement to continue supporting you with whatever help you might need.

I felt ready for work myself over 1.5 years ago, but was just finding trouble getting a job. After 6months it can become a self fulfilling cycle where employers won't even read your application because you've been out of work for so long. This helps to combat that problem.

I understand peoples fear about losing their benefits as while we didn't get benefits we still had to live on one persons wages, and I know i would have been scared if that income had been threatened, as it was difficult enough with only that.

I just feel that for those who feel ready in themselves, and want to get work, then these guys are pretty cool and they really invest in knowing everyone as individuals not as numbers.

And I'm just happy that someone has finally given me a chance again, to work in an area I enjoy and that I get a lot out of.

Cheers

Wolfy

x

Archived