Mental Health Forums

Emdr Therapy ?

kalsweet

hi im being offered emdr therapy for ptsd which i have had longvterm my question is has anyone else hadvthis and did it help what did they do etc. im about to do some more research now as i only know a little but i thought id ask here first and find out if anyone could give me first hand experience or if anyone knows much about this. thanks :)

(((kalsweet)))......I have posted a couple of threads here regarding EMDR..........my posts are a bit rambly, but you might find some of the postings and replies from others and their experience useful.

I was recommended for EMDR and eventually assessed after 9 months of stabilisation. Initially it was thought that it would be good for me. Unfortunately, for reasons I do not really understand the EMDR came to an end very abruptly and midpoint in the number of sessions that were initially allocated.

Still trying to sort this out.

The general feeling from others, that was expressed here in my threads re EMDR, is that if the therapist is good and knows what they are doing then it could be great..................

I agree with this now, from my short experience of a little bit of it..............

It is very important to have somebody properly qualified to administer it...............

When it all seemed to be going awry with me, I was in such a mess and I tried to find the EMDR lady on an EMDR register somewhere, but she was nowhere to be found. I looked her up, because I can truly say that it really felt that she didn't really seem to know what she was doing, but if I'm doing her a dis-service then I will take that back, but as I said earlier, still trying to sort out the mess of those three sessions.

I hope you have a better experience than myself, and i would strongly recommend that you check out the therapist before any startings and really find out what their qualifications for doing it are and how experienced they are.

Hope this helps a little.xxx

• 3 weeks later...

hi sorry its been awhile now. Ty for the feedback im being offered the treatment through the nhs by the cbt therapist she seems nice but im struggling right now. i cancelled my last appointment because im struggling to sleep and keep it together. really trying to do my best especially for my kids who need so much support and attention right now. i just can't find anywhere for myself and am so terribly alone. so in fortnight im going again and i will keep you posted on how it goes if you like. and just sad as this sounds but really need a friend right now.

We're here to listen Kalsweet, you're not alone buddy. So you started EMDR? I found it quite disturbing on the first times, got a lot of dissociation and paranoia. Things should lift after a while. Don't hesitate to comment to your therapist on how things are going for you, he/she will adapt to your reactions. Keep writing anytime you need. Big hugs to you dear.

I had EMDR and would recommend it to almost anyone, mine ended abruptly too due to unforeseen circumstances but it has been life changing for the better.

Good luck with it. x

Archived