Mental Health Forums

Quetiapine

AmyP

been prescribed this by psychiatrist even tho told him didnt want meds.

does it cause really bad weight gain? he said would be monitored but why would they give a shit if i get fat. most people on meds get fat and no one gives a fuck or tries to help.

also why would he put me on it. didnt say why just said will help sort things out in my head and help mood. noticed its an anti-p

thanks.

I put a stone on over 6 months of taking it. Iv stopped taking it now because of the side effects but everyone is different and I know others who it has worked for x

I take it for sleep. My mom takes for sleep and mood.

I didn't and haven't gained weight from it, I'm only fat cause they put me on things like lithium and depakote. >.>

My mom gained a small amount of weight but it wasn't anything to sneeze at. Very minor.

I'm on a really low dose of it though so I don't know how helpful I can be.

I take quetiapine and have done so for a few years as a replacement for chlorpromazine which had a few side effects I didn't want to put up with.

I can't say I have noticed any related weight gain and I have a history of anorexia so am pretty aware of things like that! My dosage fluctuates depending on my state of mind but it has helped me and even when I just take a baseline amount it does enough to keep me more in control of my moods and my thoughts.

I was a little reticent to stay on an anti-psychotic when I'm not actually psychotic and to be honest it was never really explained why I was initially put on one either but it does do something for me so I'm not so bothered about its label anymore.

Give it a chance I say, it might work for you. Happy to help more if I can.

Anti-psychotics aren't always used as anti-psychotics.

It's kinda hard to explain.

Like, most medications have multiple uses beyond just what the label says. Like they use pysch meds for seizures and migraines and such. I take a couple anti-psychotics, and only one of them is actually for that purpose. The other acts as a mood stabilizer. And if it balances my psychotic features out too, it's a bonus.

Gah, I didn't explain that right.

thank you all for replying. guna talk to gp about it today. i mean if theyr guna poison you at least want to know wtf theyr trying to poson me for.

no that makes sense riverspell, is like when was on lamotrigine is for epilepsy but i dont have epilepsy.

I think lamotrigine is also used as a mood stabiliser/anti-psychotic, it just does something about the brain over firing crazily (like in epilepsy) like when moods are swinging etc... I'm not entirely sure how they work, and I feel a bit suspicious about them, but I guess worth having a go and seeing if they help. xx

couldnt stay on lamotrigine got the rash so they stopped it so want to try quetiapine now but dont like taking meds told him that but he wouldnt leave it alone. dont trust him how do we know they dont just want us zombies so they can do what they want so we cant tell people the truth. fucking meds

• 4 months later...

Archived