Mental Health Forums

Bpd And Wrap Group Experiences?

CrippleAndStarfish

link at bottom with the basics of a WRAP group.... .. have heard lots about Copeland's work with trauma recovery and wellness plans etc, & am aware of her clinic, but not had any personal experience with the therapy work.

has anyone else? did you find it effective?? anyones thoughts??

all input is appreciated.

am due to start a WRAP group on 10th june.

http://www.mentalhealthrecovery.com/wrap/

xxx

Sorry had no experience with this but it looks good and i hope it all goes well for you

emo xx

hope someone else can give u some feed back on it too xx

Hi ((((suzy))))

I've had no experience of this but I am seeing a well being advisor at the moment who has helped me with my anxiety.

I hope it goes well for you, it looks really interesting

xxx

(((Snoozysuzy)))......This looks really interesting.xxx Hope it proves to be really helpful and useful and looking forward to hearing all about it.xxx

thanks guys. i'm really nervous now, getting so close to starting. eeeeek!

i do think it will be positive, & i know one of the therapists running the group is amazing, v clued in, recovered from bpd herself, so am really keen to go, but v nervous of meeting others with the same/similar issues to me (all have bpd), as am wary of clashes etc, & know that i will struggle to not take their issues on board and get really upset.

tis something i will have to work on.

will reply once i've been and let you all know how first session went.

eeeeep!!!!

xxxxxx

Hi Suzy

I went to a work wellbeing meeting with someone from mind on monday. She is going to start me on WRAP at the next meeting to help me deal with crisis at work.

I hope your session goes well and I will be interested to hear about it. It's normal to be nervous so don't worry too much :)

starry xxx

hi starry!!

thanks for you reply lovely.

i'm just about to phone a taxi now, although i've been so typically disorganised - i was supposed to be up at 7 and all ready and prepared after a good nights sleep.... but i was still wide awake when alarm went off, so that wasn't fab!

i've left it til the last minute to get ready, only just have enough money on me for a taxi there as put off going to the cash machine....just have to hope taxi driver is kind enough to drop me off at cash machine down the road on the way home.

i'm fully aware i'm further avoiding by posting on here! eeek!

so nervous, & little one is booting me too which has got me thinking "i'll just sit and feel baby kick for 2 mins, what difference will a couple mins make?!" eeeek!

right! am going! lol

will update when home xxxxxx

Hey Suzy, Hope it goes well today. I just started group therapy recently too and so understand how scary it is. I haven't heard of WRAP type but hope it's helpful. I just met the other group members last week and this week the therapy begins. It does trigger dd thoughts off oo peopke are like me, and oh not even these people are like me and other random thoughts. It's a bit of a roller coaster I think. Hope you can come back on here and let us know how it goes and how you're feeling about it all. The first step is getting there, even I who always tries to make any appointments I get o as to not let people down was thinking eek this is too scary for me, but I'm glad I made it last week. Let us know what the session was like. Lotsa hugs xxxxx

hey guys :)

sorry, just a quick post until my head is in better working order (baby hormones and trouble with one of my cats has got me in a tizzy - someone stole thomas (my grey and white furbaby) & if he hadnt been found with joint effort from myself and some lovely neighbours when he was found, then it would have been a v diff outcome. he is now home, safe, & all 5 of my moglets are now microchipped too and sulking at me. am pressing charges also as the bastard who took him knew very well that tom is my cat)

anyway! -

the group was fab. i was terrified - properly "oh my god im going to pee my pants" terror.

they were all lovely, it all sounds really positive, & im really hopeful that it will do a lot to help me get better.

i've been given a big file with our "coursework" paperwork in, theres a list in there that shows what each session will be about.

its 27 weeks, and i really am feeling positive about it.

will share more about the wrap group when my head is in a better place as all i want to do atm is curl up with cats and a book and just escape for a while.

our homework this week is to toddle everywhere with a notebook and make note of all the negative self talk that we use day to day. also we are to check ourselves when we feel aroused emotionally by any situation and ask "what am i feeling? what is it that im reacting to?" and to bring some awareness to that so that if we are triggered, we can work out how much of what we are reacting to is in the now, & how much of it is reacting to the past. we are to try to notice particular words or actions that are linked with these strong emotions.

our therapist said that basically, what she is aiming to do is to get us a Masters degree in ourselves and our disorder (we all have bpd), & how it affects us personally. she explained that generally 10,000 hours study time is what it takes, & that while that might sound overwhelming, we are all there because she believes without a doubt that we are all capable of that.

it was lovely to hear that she believes we are all intelligent people who she needs and wants to help, and that she will do her very best to not let us down, as she knows that we will all do our very best too as we all want to get better, & she knows we all have the strength to do so - it is just her job to provide us with the tools we need and give us a helping hand in the right direction.

she is lovely.

it is awkward, but feels really good to have someone say they believe in you and your abilities, & to see that they are genuine too.

xxx

I did the WRAP programm (my CPN led it.. lucky for me) and I was just like you crapping myself.. but what I did attend seemed really interesting and looked positive.. Sadly I had to leave the group as things went a bit downhill for me but I know a friend who completed it and it really did help her.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a WRAP plan whilst i was in hospital and i think if your honest and use it properly it can be a useful tool.

ive used wraps before, and not found it helpful. Ours was converted into the disabled friendly format but was not helpful for me.

Archived