Mental Health Forums

Fostering A Dog?

Vasquez

Hello everyone,

was hoping someone might be able to give me some information about fostering a dog?

Has anyone on here doneit before?

Ive been stable for a while now and we have decided i can get a dog by fostering one :)

we got ours from woodgreen animal shelters, there are plenty of dog homes in the country try to google your area maybe.

when u say fostering do you mean you just want to look after the dog for a short while ?

because there are all sorts of options i think, we adopted ours long term but i think there are programs where you can foster a dog for a while and help it get used to being with ppl again.

anyway we just turned up at woodgreen one day and had a look around and decided we liked a certain dog, we then took the dog for a walk and then we had an interview then a lady came to visit our home afterwards and had a chat about why we wanted a dog and looked to see that our home could accommodate a dog etc, then she decided we were ok and then we went to pick the dog up.

she was our best dog ever i dunno if its because she was a rescue dog but she was so affectionate and loving dog, we didnt regret it one bit, infact we went on to get another 2 shortly afterwards, so we ended up with 3

good luck

mtm

Fostering a dog means that all your expenses are paid for to look after the dog, this includes food, bowls, leads etc

Most of the dogs have had shitty excuses for a life so they go to volunteers houses to be looked after and loved and have a good experience in life until they find a permanent home.

That sounds good. Well if u feel ready then why not. But be carefull u dont get too attached. I dont think i could do fostering because i wouldnt want to say goodbye but i guess you would know that u have given them that start they need.

Let me know if u do it.

Mtm

• 3 weeks later...

I have a house inspection on monday too see if my house is suitable :)

How'd it go??

I've fostered cats and dogs in the past, and have currently got one stray cat that i'm caring for with rescue back-up until she can find her forever home....and 2 dogs that i've just taken in today! that's as well as my own 5 permanent kitty residents.

fostering is very rewarding. xxx

Archived