Mental Health Forums

How Much To Open Up ?

berenger

I've had some crisis this week and threatened suicide and had dark thoughts of wanting to hurt myself or others. I feel i've been betrayed and let down by a organisation and a person.

I have my first group therapy session tomorrow. I'll know some of the people in it. I want help with whats goig on but i don't want to upset or scare anyone.

How much should i open up in therapy ?. How much do you open up ?

One to one therapy, generally open up as much as possible. Group therapy i can understand your reticence to open up and it's very thoughtful of you to bear in mind how it may upset others, I'm really impressed by that : )

What kind of therapy is it? Is it talking in group or CBT or something?

Perhaps you could voice your concerns to the group leader before the session just to see where any boundaries may lie then decide from there? Also bear in mind that you may have limited time to talk so prioritising things you want to talk about and also bear in mind that opening up but running out of time may leave you potentially triggered. Perhaps start small/ medium?

Good to hear you want to open up and that you're putting thought into it : )

(((Berenger)))

I can't help you but want you to know you are in my thoughts. Btw,thank you so much for answering my plea for help. That was so lovely,considering how bad you're feeling yourself.

I did group therapy for about a year it was for people with personality disorders, I found it hard to open up but others were able to, In saying this what I was able to say I found it helpful and I got great feedback from the group, It depends what therapy it is and what boundaries they have, My group therapy was very structured, I prefer one to one therapy than group therapy now but my current therapist has referred me to do group therapy again to gain confidence and self esteem.

Good luck and I hope it goes well for you. xxx

Archived