Mental Health Forums

Wish Me Luck

Data

I have a job interview on Friday. Its for a research fellow position in a university.

So on Thursday I leave work - I'm hoping to get away by 3.30pm as we have flexi-time. Then its a 205 mile journey to my hotel. I am staying in a hotel overnight; I have some pasta to take with me for an evening meal. I'm planning just to stay in the room and boot up my laptop (wi-fi is free) and munch my pasta and have a quiet evening. I've got a double ensuite all to myself which is good!

On Friday its up at 7.30, breakfast, then change in to my suit and head to the university, which is about a mile from the hotel.

They say that its a whole day thing - 9 to 5pm!!!!

I have to give a 15 minute presentation which I have prepared. I've rehearsed it quite a few times.. I've also polished my shoes and printed off the directions (I have no sat-nav) and printed off the hotel booking accommodation and asked for a parking pass in the university.

I've also skim-read four academic papers which were written by the professor who runs the department - he's the person who has been emailling me. And I'm doing a bit more prep reading in the research areas that they are interested in, which I'm scribbling down tonight into my little notebook.

I have a couple of bottles of lemonade and some fruit to munch on during the day. They haven't said what the format of the day is, or if they provide lunch.

Once I am finished its a 155 mile journey home. If they keep me until 5pm then I reckon I won't be home until about 8pm. And then I'll be popping out for fish and chips and loads of beer lol. I've not seen my family since last weekend, as I work away in the week.

Strangely enough the thing that I'm most nervous about right now is the travelling, since I have never been to the town (where the interview is held) before. However, I am sure that tomorrow night I'll be worried sick about the interview....

I am going to try and be confident and positive and smile a lot.

If I get the job, then thats great - as the one I have now (although a good job) isn't really what I want to do. If I don't get the job then at least it will be good practice as I've never had an interview for a research job before.

Wish me luck! Its exciting but soooo stressful!!!!

Wow really good luck data. Sounds like a real full on day.

Sounds like u have it all well planned which is great.

Best if luck

Mtm xxx

I wish you luck, Data. You sound like you're prepared so that should go well. It's a good experience to add. Can really feel your excitement there. :)

((((Data))))..........Wishing you all the luck in the world.xxx You sound very well prepared and excited.xxx..........Excited for you here too.xxx

Thanks morethanme, threemoons, artemis84 and Pickle59.

I am glad that everyone thinks my planning is good.

Its also good that I seem excited. Because I am excited!

I am now in a slightly run-down hotel, in a strange town. The university is only 10 minutes away in the car - I've checked it out this evening.

Going to do some more preparation then will relax with a good book or some telly before bed.

Well it was a hard day.

There were 7 candidates. I was the only one who was white and British. One person had come from Normandy for the interview.

First I had a bruising interview. It was a bit confrontational.

Then I had to do some tests. They were HARD tests. It was written questions: programming, maths, logic puzzles. I couldn't answer all the questions and I know that some of the answers I gave were wrong.

In the afternoon I gave a presentation about my work and they just looked confused at me. They asked a couple of questions but they seemed quite superficial compared to the questions asked of the other candidates.

Then I had a 1:1 with the professor where I was allowed to ask questions. I asked the obvious ones about job security, etc.

The professor is going to ring me tomorrow with their decision.

Apparently there are 7 vacancies. I expect they will be interviewing on other days also, otherwise 7 candidates for 7 vacancies is a bit silly lol.

I am hopeful but not expecting to be successful.

Fingers crossed for you ((((Data))))...........The most important thing here is that you were more than prepared to put yourself out there, no matter how difficult, to be more true to yourself, your passions and your family and I will be thinking of you and rooting for you.xxxx

Well, the bastards still haven't rang be back. They told me they'd be calling me on Monday (15th July).

I'm going to call them next week.

I wonder if they treat everyone with such disrespect, or whether its just me?

They do it me too Data, gets very disheartening. The whole process is a trigger for me now, I know I'm not going to get jobs, so don't even apply now, but I'm desperate to work (and I'm bloody good too), so the whole thing's a vicious circle. My PT has written to WorkSolutions, some org that helps people with MH issues get back into work, but they seem to be taking an age to get in touch and time's running out. I hope you hear something soon at least, very bad form to not to after you've been for interview, but that's happened to me before; still don't know if I got that editor's job I travelled all the way to Port Talbot for in 2003!

I'd have thought that the 2003 one probably isn't going to happen now lol.

I am sorry you are struggling so much, endoftheroad. At least I am lucky enough to have a job.

Archived