Mental Health Forums

Love

delusionaldolly

Had a really good chat with a good friend and wise soul today, and thought I'd share some ideas we'd discussed as it made me feel a hell of a lot better.

I'm not religious. I'm not adverse to the idea of religion, and theology fascinates me. But not because I believe or disbelieve in a higher power, whatever you choose to call it. But because I believe in what I can feel, and I am fascinated in people, and what leads them to believe in anything at all. But I respect others people's opinions, beliefs and need to believe - whatever gets you through the night.

My friend asked me tonight what I thought the point of being here is. Now, as you can tell from my username, I'm not sure if I'm completely delusional as to the ways of the world, and at no point am I saying I am right and others are wrong, but this is my take on things :

I used to think there was no purpose to my existence. That I was just a tiny grain of sand on a beach full of other tiny grains of sand, too tiny and insignificant to matter. But now I believe I'm a tiny cog. I'm a tiny cog that works with other tiny cogs in helping the only thing I believe in spread and grow - love. I think we're all connected, that in the core of us all is love; true, unconditional, self giving, perpetuating love. To me, if you strip off all the hatred, bitterness, anger, resentment, expectation, duty, shackles of politics and money and society, all the things our egos tell us make us individuals, all there is left is love. The Beatles had it right....good old Lennon! And without me, there would be a little less love in the world.

Had I read this post myself a year ago, I'd be thinking "What a hippy dippy way of thinking". But after everything that's happened to me in the past year, I keep coming back to love. Learning to love myself, learning the power of showing love to others and what that brings you, learning to love the life I'm given and the opportunities I've been given to grow - even the hard ones are lessons that make me more capable of being a loving person.

So, in very Jerry Springer fashion, I leave you with my final thought : love without restriction, without boundaries, without expectation, without prejudice. Love unconditionally. We are all love, and we can all be open to receiving love, even in the darkest times. We're all stumbling around in the dark, trying to find that light, and for me, that light is love.

So love and light to you all, you beautiful people.

All my love,

Dolly xx

Wow I really needed the love reminder today, thank you for sharing such a thoughtful post. I agree with learning to being open to receiving love.

• 3 months later...

The ancient Greeks had four words for love.

• Agápe (ἀγάπη agápē[1]) means love in a "spiritual" sense. In the term s'agapo (Σ'αγαπώ), which means "I love you" in Ancient Greek, it often refers to a general affection or deeper sense of "true unconditional love" rather than the attraction suggested by "eros." This love is selfless; it gives and expects nothing in return. Agape is used in the biblical passage known as the "love chapter," 1 Corinthians 13, and is described there and throughout the New Testament as sacrificial and spiritual love. Whether the love given is returned or not, the person continues to love (even without any self-benefit). Agape is also used in ancient texts to denote feelings for one's children and the feelings for a spouse, and it was also used to refer to a love feast. It can also be described as the feeling of being content or holding one in high regard. Agape was used by Christians to express the unconditional love of God.
  • Éros (ἔρως érōs[2]) is "physical" passionate love, with sensual desire and longing. Romantic, pure emotion without the balance of logic. "Love at first sight". The Modern Greek word "erotas" means "intimate love;" however, eros does not have to be sexual in nature. Eros can be interpreted as a love for someone whom you love more than the philia, love of friendship. It can also apply to dating relationships as well as marriage. Plato refined his own definition: Although eros is initially felt for a person, with contemplation it becomes an appreciation of the beauty within that person, or even becomes appreciation of beauty itself. Plato does not talk of physical attraction as a necessary part of love, hence the use of the word platonic to mean, "without physical attraction." In the Symposium, the most famous ancient work on the subject, Plato has Socrates argue that eros helps the soul recall knowledge of beauty, and contributes to an understanding of spiritual truth, the ideal "Form" of youthful beauty that leads us humans to feel erotic desire – thus suggesting that even that sensually-based love aspires to the non-corporeal, spiritual plane of existence; that is, finding its truth, just like finding any truth, leads to transcendence. Lovers and philosophers are all inspired to seek truth through the means of eros.
  • Philia (φιλία philía[3]) is "mental" love. It means affectionate regard or friendship in both ancient and modern Greek. This type of love has give and take. It is a dispassionate virtuous love, a concept developed by Aristotle. It includes loyalty to friends, family, and community, and requires virtue, equality and familiarity. In ancient texts, philos denoted a general type of love, used for love between family, between friends, a desire or enjoyment of an activity, as well as between lovers.
  • Storge (στοργή storgē[4]) means "affection" in ancient and modern Greek. It is natural affection, like that felt by parents for offspring. Rarely used in ancient works, and then almost exclusively as a descriptor of relationships within the family. It is also known to express mere acceptance or putting up with situations, as in "loving" the tyrant

Archived