Mental Health Forums

''ocd Camp'' Anyone Else Seen This Or Would Like To See It?

Pickle59

Just wondered if anyone saw this program ''OCD Camp'' on BBC3 and what they thought?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b037w0wj/Extreme_OCD_Camp_Episode_1/

The second part of this program is tonight called ''Inside my mind''.

I have watched the first episode.

The approach seems to be on the lines of Susan Jeffers Book ''Feel the Fear and do it anyway''

Would be interested to know if anyone has watched it and found it insightful, or is it maybe stating the obvious?

Feel mixed about it.

I started watching it halfway through and still watching.. i couldn't do it, but i understand the theory, that if u do something u fear it will get easier, but im not ready to face that kind of exposure, i do chaallenge myself with stuff most days, but at my pace.

xx xx xx

I watched it. Found those guys quite inspirational. I don't have actual OCD myself and would not compare what I experience with regards to obsessions/compulsions with real sufferers of the condition but I was overwhelmed with how well they put across what life is like with constant intrusive thoughts. I thought they made the way your whole life is literally taken over more accessible for people with no experience of mh problems themselves. In my opinion that helps with raising awareness of all of our issues and so is a good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I was unable to watch the link you provided - I'm not sure if it's because I'm in America or because it's no longer available, but I did manage to find it on YouTube.

Anyway, I thought it was quite inspirational, to be straightforward. The attitudes of the people involved were great and it was really lovely to see individuals my own age begin their journey in overcoming their illnesses. I don't know how long filming went on for and I'm sure it wasn't very long, but at least it's a start. In addition, I enjoyed how young people with varying kinds and degrees of OCD were depicted in a true light, as opposed to being generalized. As someone who deals with OCD myself, their willingness to confront and prevent their compulsions head-on has positively influenced my own attitude regarding my upcoming journey into ERP therapy.

Here's the link for anyone else who may want to watch the episode and can't access it through the BBC site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAXjq28Wpyk

I enjoyed how young people with varying kinds and degrees of OCD were depicted in a true light, as opposed to being generalized.

Completely agree with this, too often depicted as simple "hand-washing" disorder without taking into account all the intrusive thoughts and images ad many other symptoms that people don't hear about.

xx xx xx

Archived