Mental Health Forums

Stealing...

angel tears

Has anybody else ever had a problem with stealing?, this person that is doing it isn't very well at the mo. they just for some reason can't cope and they can't stop. They know it is wrong too but that's not making a difference. Does anybody here understand what could be going on?.

Im no expert but im guessing stealing gives the same buzz as drinking. Spending.gambling so yeah i guess if u do it and get away with it it can be highly addictive. Thats not to say its right but neither is gambling spending drinking etc.

(((angeltears)))......I understand a little about this. If this person you are talking about is getting away with it, I fear it will continue. I'm sorry they are not very well..........I believe that it is in not being very well and struggling, that these things can happen. If you would like to talk more about it, I'm happy to do this in PM if you would like. Knowing it is wrong is often not enough to make it stop..........the consequences from these actions though, i.e in being caught can be one way in helping them to stop.

I fear for them as they are either heading for a breakdown or have had one. They won't go and see a g.p or go to hospital as they have lost faith in the nhs as they just get sent away.

I guess it could come under risky behaviour, maybe they don't care if they get caught?.. have they been to prison before?

xx xx xx

hmmm, maybe it is the thrill factor, i hope they dont get caught because being arrested is so unpleasant, but maybe if they did they would get some help before things get worse.

xx xx xx

Yes that's so true Jinxta, they told me they don't know how to stop and that there life is out of control. I wish I knew what to say. I think they r doing it because they can't cope. I feel sorry for em xxx

Could possibly be a control thing, because there life feels s out of control they are using the stealing to focus on and be in power of. Do they have a cpn or support worker? they really sound like they need some extra support. Must be tough for you also having to watch this happen and not being able to do much.

xx xx xx

Archived