Mental Health Forums

My New Musical Hobby

lonelyheartemma

I'm sorry if I upset anyone last time I was here. I've been too embarrassed to come back before now.

But anyway when I was 6 I decided I wanted to play the cello. My mum said I could have a cello when I was 11. They hired a cello for my sister when she was 9 which I thought was unfair but my sister didn't like the cello so my parents didn't buy it. But I didn't even get my cello when I was 11. My mum talked me into getting a viola instead. It was ok but I didn't make a very nice noise on it, it was all squeaky and right next to my ear. I had lessons for about 4 years and I've got Grade 1 and 2 but my mum put a lot of pressure on me and every time I played I was scared I was going to be told off for making it sound bad. Then I had to stop playing because I got so scared of playing I couldn't play without shaking which made it sound even worse..

But 4 weeks ago I bought a cello! It was expensive but worth it. I love it. I can't play it when I feel very ill and sometimes I have to do half an hour of practise instead of an hour because my back and shoulder start hurting but I have played almost every day since I got it. I'm playing Grade 1 music already and I'm playing a gigue by Bach that is Grade 6. I can't play it very well yet obviously and I'm playing it at about 2/3 of the proper speed but I'm getting better at it every day. I really love that piece of music.

So yeah I'm really enjoying playing my cello and my mum said "I wish we'd bought you a cello when you were 6" which meant a lot. She would probably have put loads of pressure on me and that might have stopped it from being fun and I think part of the reason why I'm getting on so quick is because I played a string instrument before but it is nice that she said that. She obviously doesn't think I'm too awful at it.

This is great to hear Emma, shows that you know what you want and you've achieved something you wanted and can hear you're passionate about it. Are you teaching yourself to play?

Was it in Truly, Madly, Deeply where a character says they chose to play the cello because it sounded sad? Very apt I thought. Good luck with it Emma - and don't let it make you sad! You need each other to make yourselves less sad :)

That's great to hear Emma! I've not seen you here in a while which makes me sad :( but I'm glad you've found a hobby. I hope you feel proud! Ash

thank you for all the nice comments and likes :)

Yes Kitsune I'm teaching myself. I'm not very good with criticism so I don't think I'd be very good with a teacher. I'd spend my whole life feeling paranoid he/she hates me. I might be making all sorts of mistakes but the important thing is I'm playing it and enjoying it.

I haven't seen that film EndoftheRoad. The cello can sound sad but I think it can also sound happy. It makes me happy anyway! Some days are fruatrating but then I come back the next day and I'm happy again.

I've missed you too Ash. There have been loads of times when I've wanted to come online and post. I remember reading a sad status update from you and I wanted to log in and make you feel better but I didn't.

Thanks for sharing Emma.

I hope you get a sense of achievement out of it, and enjoy it.

You are welcome here and you seem to be quite popular. You are too hard on yourself.

That's fab news Emma, good for you!!

I find that playing music really helps me too - when I'm at orchestra or practising a piece I can't think about anything else other than the music in front of me and that feels so liberating. I have to admit when I'm down I tend to shy away from it - again because of the fear of judgement, even from myself as I can get so frustrated when I know I can play better - but over the years it has definitely helped keep me sane (well, relatively at least, haha!).

I too am pleased to see you back by the way, it made me smile when I saw your name online just now :)

Hey, not sure who you upset, I hadn't noticed anyone feeling grumpy at you? Well done you for getting the cello. It's a fab instrument. I know what you mean about pushy parents making things unfun! Glad you decided to try a new instrument that you've always wanted to play :-) You'll have to record yourself and let us hear it. Sure it'll sound great :-) I have a cello but haven't played in a while as I'm scared of sounding dreadful... I should really have another go at it. xxxx

I'm out of likes but Artemis and Apple just so you know I do like your post very much.

thank you Data. I'm enjoying it very much and even tho its not really a 'useful' skill I do feel like I am achieving something and keeping my brain active. I'm learning medieval Welsh as well which I like but I can do different things with music like putting emotion into it and trying different ways of playing each note and it's nice to be doing something that gives my parents pleasure for a change.

Artemis what instrument do you play or would you rather not say? Playing music can be so much fun, even if I start playing as a distraction it usually turns into a pleasure. But it's hardly ever a distraction as its something I look forward to. Aww you make me smile too :)

Apple no one got grumpy with me, I just got really emotional and upset and got hardly any replies and I completely overreacted and went offline. You play the cello too? How lovely we have that in common! Yes you should play it again :) idk if this would help as you must be miles better than me but I always start off a practise with really easy stuff, just bowing exercises and then I play the music I'm working on in order of difficulty and obviously play the Bach last! I was actually just thinking about making a video for my friend but I can only make videos on my camera and I don't know how good the sound will be. But I can try!

That would be great. That's a good idea :-) I love this piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGQLXRTl3Z0

Have you got the book of Bach cello solos? If you want I could photocopy (naughty! :P ) and send you this piece if you want? It's a gorgeous piece :-)

I can play it fairly well, but not perfectly. I got up to grade 5 and was working on grade 6 stuff, but I kinda give up when it gets totally difficult and complicated!

Aww I understand about the wondering about no replies etc, I feel the same sometimes, and so it's understandable. Very glad you've come back though. I've missed you :-) xxx

That's so kind of you to offer! I do have the music, I found the whole suite online and was able to print it out for free but that's such a lovely thought.

The last piece is the one I'm learning. I'd love to play the whole thing one day. You are lucky to be able to play it all, you must be very good :)

I'd love to hear you play too. I wonder if there's some way we could play together online but not yet, when I'm much much better!

That video is gorgeous. I've seen a few different videos but I like this one best, I've seen Yo Yo Ma and he's obviously brilliant but I don't get tingles with him the way I do with this cellist.

(sorry for slow replies, I'm multi tasking)

Artemis what instrument do you play

I play the clarinet. Started when I was 11 and it has been the one hobby I have stuck with throughout my life. I am nowhere near as good as I could be considering how long I've been playing but I gave up lessons when I left school and have just played for enjoyment since then. I'm so glad I took it up though, playing in orchestras etc has helped get me out and meeting people over the years and I don't feel judged when I'm surrounded by like minded musicians so it's a rare break from that side of my issues as well.

Funnily enough I have always wanted to play the cello too - it has a lovely voice and can be so emotive. If I could start another instrument now that's what it would be.

We should start an online orchestra! :P

Oh I love the sound of a cello!

Music can be so comforting and consoling when the world feels like a place devoid of feeling. I play piano, very badly now, but really want to get an electric piano, and one day, when I have my converted farmhouse with cats and kiddies and prince charming, I want an old upright. I listen to piano music every night before I go to sleep, its so beautiful and never fails to soothe me, and one of the pieces is a piano and a cello. I can't remember the name of it, but tonight I'll think of you and your cello and think happy thoughts for us both Emma.

Dolly xxxxxxx

PS I'm in for the online orchestra!!!!!

Hey LHE

im so glad u doing something u love

but u really would benefit from leasons

The reason i say this is cos recently i took up a hobby ive always wanted to do (carving)

I brought mags and chisels etc and thought i cud teach myself but i started to get frustrarted at my progress so i researched a local wood carving class and so glad i did becuase i learnt tips and got expeeience i wouldnt of got and now im coming on a treat.

Research a tutor u may suprise yourself.

Good luck

and have fun xx

Hey Emma!

I'm sorry you felt upset and left, we really did all miss you here. I hope you feel more comfortable now. You were still regularly in my thoughts. How have you been since you left?

I think stringed instruments sound lovely. I can play a bit of bass and guitar myself, I find it really cathartic, it chills me out a lot. Personally, I'd love to learn the drums, I'd get so much frustration out and it's meant to burn loads of calories.

Take care,

Ash

I wish we could do an online orchestra. I wouldn't want to join a real orchestra, too many people and they'd make me do concerts. But a Mental Health World Orchestra sounds great :)

I think I would benefit from lessons Emo but I'm seriously so mentally fragile if I get the wrong teacher I would probably hate myself and give up forever and possibly traumatise the teacher by self harming in a lesson or something. So I think its too much of a risk. I'm not frustrated yet, I'm getting on very fast. But I will get to a point where I hit a brick wall and can't get better on my own.

Ash I was actually doing really well till today. I missed you all and I wanted to come on and tell you good stuff (like when I first got my cello) and I got statuses in my email and wanted to reply. But apart from that I felt really happy. I'd also like to play the drums. I've played 2 stringed instruments and I played the recorder (and tried to play the flute because my sister got one and I wanted one and I always copied her haha, I saved up for it and bought it myself and I couldn't really play a note on it, I have the wrong shaped mouth) and I kind of feel like the brass instruments will be similar to woodwind but drums is like a completely different thing, you can't do vibrato or legato or anything else to make it sound beautiful, with other instruments you can play about with the rhythm for effect but can you do that with drums? idk. it just seems like a completely different type of instrument and I am fascinated by that.

• 2 weeks later...

I play the flute and have been playing for about 10 years now. I originally taught myself but then pursued a degree in music and ended up having to take lessons through that. The teacher and I did NOT get along. She is super critical and I find a lot of the instrument and ensemble teachers are. I don't know if that's just some sort of music world thing but it is probably more due to the fact that not everyone has the ability to teach or is trained to be a teacher (they are just teaching because they can play and there isn't much you can do realistically as a professional musician unless you're amazing). In my opinion, students need to be nurtured rather than stepped on and crushed by the ultra critical approach that many music teachers take to teaching. The teacher must adapt to the learning style of the student :)

I am trying to teach myself how to play violin as well as piano and I would LOVE to be able to play cello one day, I love the cello.

I played trumpet once and it is actually really different from woodwinds, it is a completely different embouchure. I have also played the clarinet as well but I wasn't passionate about it so I didn't stick with it.

You must be really good to be able to get to degree level Allisa. I think you are right about music teachers. My mum has taught music and she adapted to each student (and then slagged them off behind their backs which wasn't so good) and has a higher average pass than most teachers even though she's not an amazing musician and hasn't taken any exams. The school violin/viola teacher (who I didn't study with luckily) played violin at music college and is very good but most of his pupils failed their exams. My mum obviously has the ability to teach and be adaptable. That hurts in a way because she is super critical with me about everything but I suppose it's easier to be patient with people you only see for half an hour a week.

Thank you for posting :) It is nice to know you can go a long way by teaching yourself and nice to find another musician for our Mental Health World Orchestra! That is amazing you can play so many instruments.

I forgot you played the harp Maddy but I remember now. You play a few instruments don't you?

I love the harp, it's a beautiful instrument :)

We're getting quite a big orchestra now!

I'm still doing the Bach cello suite, trying to tidy up the dodgy bits which is mainly bits with extensions. It's not at the proper speed yet (though it's not slow) and sometimes I play the wrong note or my nail accidentally plucks the string and sometimes I'll make a horribly screechy noise and the double stopping doesn't always work (which is quite odd because I'm always double stopping by accident) but I think that's ok. It is a really gorgeous piece of music but because it's about Grade 6ish I don't feel under pressure to play it perfectly. I feel like I'm under pressure a bit with the beginners book I'm working my way through and even with my Grade 1 pieces, I get frustrated when I make mistakes and I feel I should be better. But with a Grade 6 piece there's hardly any pressure at all because I feel like I have a good reason for getting things wrong and any note that actually sounds good is a bonus!

I do think I'm getting better at it though. There's one bit I couldn't play at all for ages but now I can play it most of the time. So maybe there's hope for the other bits!

Going to get my keyboard out tonight, got a boring Saturday night ahead and re-read this thread, and now wanna make muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusic :) thanks guys :) xx

(((Lonelyheartemma)))...You so inspire me.xxx As a result of your passion for learning the cello and going for it, you have rekindled in me, some of my passion for music too.xxx And so many members here, who play instruments...........well this little clip (((try and ignore the annoying you tube advert at the beginning))), but this is especially for you and Maddy, and I can imagine a World Mental Health Online Orchestra too..........and we'll all be in the background accompanying you.xxx The Swan, from Carnival of the Animals.xxx This would be a great contrast with the Bach Gigue.xxx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNbXuFBjncw

Archived