Mental Health Forums

A Medication Question, Please?

successful_workthru

First off, let me appologise as I have not been on these boards answering posts, due to not being mentally fit to answer posts.

Here is my question, how am I going to get off trazodone safely.

I take 300mg of trazodone a day, and its a big dose.

I am nearing the end of my valium taper, and after I am off valium, I want to safely come off trazodone.

I was going to add water to it, and use a syringe to take out the amount I will be reducing by, but, trazodone does not dissolve in water, instead, it forms a 'uneven mass' in the water, so dividing it is not easy.

The only substance I know that will dissolve trazodone is methanol, and you cannot drink methanol.

My GP will not give me the liquid as she says the surgery only gives liquid trazodone to people who use feeding tubes.

The trazodone comes in capsule form, but I don't know if the trazodone powder loses potency once exposed to light.

Also, I read about someone trying to taper trazodone and got into trouble, and it made me worry. See link http://www.steadyhealth.com/How_to_taper_Trazodone__It_is_in_capsule_form_and_not_water_soluble__t237753.html

I did try to cold turkey it in July last year, but after five days got hit with horrible withdrawals, which took a couple of weeks back on it to put right.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

When you say capsule do you mean gelatin style capsules that have the medicine inside?

Inside the capsule, is it powder or beads?

If it's beads you could open the capsule and take one or two beads out at a time and do it that way.

If it's powder have you tried milk?

Also does trazodone come in another tablet form that could either dissolve in water or milk. If so it may be wise to ask your Gp if they can switch to those to make life easier for you.

I would say though. It may be wise to let yourself heal for a few months after you jump to zero on your valium before you start another taper.

Aurora :)

can your doctor not give you lower dosage tablets?

but i agree with aurora, i think it would be good to give yourself some time after coming off the valium before trying to come off the trazodone too xx

Hi Aurora and Amethyst

Thanks for getting back to me.

It's one of these sorts of capsules that I have (pls see pic)

v0_prodweb.jpg

It has powder in it, and when I try to put the powder in water, instead of forming a solution, or even, an even-ish suspension, it just forms one mass that is impossible to divide.

I don't even know if I can divide the powder, because, it may be that trazodone powder loses potency when exposed to light.

The post from the person on steadyhealth that I linked above went into withdrawal when he tried to take out a 10% cut.

Thanks for the milk suggestion, but trazdone powder doesn't dissovle in milk as it's not fat soluble.

Trazodone only comes in 100mg and 50mg capsules. There is a 150mg pill, but it's impossible to split and divide equally, cos of the awkward shape.

I will give myself some time after the valium.

I am getting a bit anxious about the trazodone, because I feel trapped on it. It's a big dose, and my personality has changed on it. I used to do art, poetry, write stories, etc etc, but the trazodone blocks all of that. I feel as if it's taken my life away, and I am only half the person that i used to be.

I did have bad benzo withdrawals but, due to cutting daily as per benzodetoxrecovery.com, these symptoms have vastly improved and I am only on just over 1mg, having come from 2mg with ease.

love from sw

well i still dont really have any decent suggestions im afraid, ive never tried to split a pill/capsule etc, sorry. the only thing ive ever done is talk to my doctor, what have they suggested for you?

i appreciate your concern feeling trapped and changed etc but you shouldnt let that rush you or make you do anything dangerous to get off the trazodone, its always best to do these things safely and slowly otherwise it could end up making things a lot worse (and you might then have to stay on it for even longer)

take care of yourself xxx

well i still dont really have any decent suggestions im afraid, ive never tried to split a pill/capsule etc, sorry. the only thing ive ever done is talk to my doctor, what have they suggested for you?

i appreciate your concern feeling trapped and changed etc but you shouldnt let that rush you or make you do anything dangerous to get off the trazodone, its always best to do these things safely and slowly otherwise it could end up making things a lot worse (and you might then have to stay on it for even longer)

take care of yourself xxx

Hi.

My doctor is no help at all. They can only give the liquid trazidone to a person using a feeding peg.

The bloke in the link I gave only cut 10% and then went into withdrawal.

This tells me that the powder must lose potency when it is exposed to light.

I might try another doctor.

Thanks

I don't know the answer to this at all but I do think it is a doctor's responsibility to try to find the safest possible way of coming off your medication. If your doctor hasn't known the answer and obviously hasn't reassured you I agree it would be a good idea to see a different doctor.

I don't know if this would work but I have heard of people cutting down by taken different amounts on alternate days?

And this is probably too stupid for words but could you do it when it's dark?

oh yh there is the alternating dosage each day thing, e.g. 300mg then 150mg back and forth to slowly get some out our your system, then dropping to 150

dont know if thats exactly what you want tho, or if its the best idea for this trazodone

definitely think finding a better doctor is the way to go, maybe try and find one with a special interest in mental health or something? or ask for a referral to a psychiatrist as they will be much more experienced in the area.

good luck xx

I don't know the answer to this at all but I do think it is a doctor's responsibility to try to find the safest possible way of coming off your medication. If your doctor hasn't known the answer and obviously hasn't reassured you I agree it would be a good idea to see a different doctor.

I don't know if this would work but I have heard of people cutting down by taken different amounts on alternate days?

And this is probably too stupid for words but could you do it when it's dark?

Hi Emma, thanks for your reply.

I thought about the alternate days thing, but that would not work.

I used to take all my meds once a day, but now, I have to divide the dose into four and take it every 6 hours, as it helps me feel better.

Your suggestion was not stupid, I am grateful for any suggestion I receive.

I'm afraid I don't have a soluton for you but I wanted to congratulate you for coming off valium, that's a great step in your recovery! My advice is to celebrate this victory as it needs and then let you some days of chill before trying to come off trazadone.

I'm afraid I don't have a soluton for you but I wanted to congratulate you for coming off valium, that's a great step in your recovery! My advice is to celebrate this victory as it needs and then let you some days of chill before trying to come off trazadone.

Hi and thanks for your great post. I appreciate it. :)

I don't know too much about medications but I remember my dad was on an addictive med for his arthritis and he luckily had the pill form so he could physically cut it in half and what not but eventually he was doing like one day off one day on half of it and lessening the days he was on it kind of thing. So maybe you could try something like that to lessen how much you are taking one day on one day off for a week or two and then do like one day on two off or something?

Archived