Mental Health Forums

Reframed : )

*debz*

Im so happy that i have been picked to take part in the new adapted version of dbt for borderline personality disorder : )

prof thomas lynch of southampton university realised that most people with bpd had trouble with under control of there emotions. they have now realised that some people have trouble where they over control there emotions. Patiences are often rigid and self-critical exert unnecessary control over there emotions and show little mental flexibility, at its most extreme this pattern of behaviour constitutues a maladaptive personality style known as emotional over control, Particularly when under stress such people prefer order to novelty and are relatively sensitive to threat but insensitive to reward, for example in a rose garden they see the thorns but miss the flowers.

This therapy will be based on the standard dbt lasting 24 weeks but with a new module called radical openness. This therapy will hopefully help people with resistant deppression eating disorders and ocd. any personality type that uses over control of there emotion. The study want people who take part so there are patiences who will continue to take there antidepressants as normal while in therapy and half not to be taking antidepressants so they can see the effect on all patiences.

After six months of standard dbt my therapist realised that i am one of the bpd types that suffer with this over control of emotion i find it very difficult to ask for help and shut down my emotions so no one can see. they realised that dbt was not going to help and the new module of radical openness would be of great help. Im thrilled to have been selected and hope this gives hope to other people out there who suffer have been told its been very helpful for people with eating disorders

My forms are done and in the post so just have to wait to be contacted for the next step. I will keep you all informed how it goes but if you want to read more about this new therapy google reframed southampton university thomas lynch x

This is great news Debs, I'm sure lots of people also suffer from this over control of emotion (I know I do) so I'll be looking up the link you mentioned! Hope that it goes well and it'd be great if you updated us on your progress and what kind of thing you are learning : )

Wow yeah good luck

sounds like a good trial. I would be interested but dont live near southampton. I dont take antids so i could do the half that dont take Antids

I too am very controlled i put down to alwyas being controlled as a kid. Sounds a good study

and i wish you well.

Hope it works

mtm xx

Archived