Mental Health Forums

Heard From The Publishers

lonelyheartemma

They asked me to rewrite another book with their comments about the other one in mind and they are talking about giving me a contract!

AND I didn't tell them anything about my mh problems but they said they didn't do deadlines because they just create stress so they want me to take as long as I like with it and enjoy writing for them.

I thought I'd rewrite the book they want to see and send it to them within 2 weeks. I don't like deadlines but I need to do as much as I can when my enthusiasm is up because I know I will get depressed again sooner or later and I want to do as much as I can while I feel ok. I know they want to bring out some new books in Feb so I'm hoping one of them will be mine.

Only problem is my mum is saying I have to let her or my dad read it. I've explained they aren't my target audience as they aren't teenage girls and they hate romances but my mum can be so pushy. I don't want my parents to read my books. They can be so nasty about books they don't like, including some books they've never read.

(((lonelyheartemma)))......This is really wonderful news..xxx I bet all the teenagers out there will love what you write.xxx

Fantastic!! Good for you! :masked:

P.s Your parents don't have to read it, I agree with Elke. This could be a good way to stick to your guns, say no and begin to prove to them you can be independent. They have no right to demand something like that of you. If they ask why you don't want them to read it you could choose whether to just say 'coz I don't want you to' or give more info about how judgemental and critical they can be regarding books and say you'd rather get the publishers' opinion first...

That's great Emma. Well done you!! Don't let your parents read it. If they keep nagging just say there's still lots to do - then submit it and don't tell them... they don't have to know and it's so important that you submit it before your parents start slagging it off. I think we all know that you could be as amazing an author as JK Rowling or Jodi Picoult and your mum would still be nasty. So wait until you've done what needs to be done and make your you submitbit before the know that it's even close to finishing. Xxxxx

Thank you EndoftheRoad, Pickle, Elke, Artemis, Bubbles, Apple Crumble and ArtMatters :)

I hope I can say no to my parents. If I let them read it the book will never be sent off. That's what always happened before. I wrote my 1st book when I was 14. My mum thinks the only books that are really worth anything are books that challenge your ideas about the world. I would rather write books to make people smile and maybe distract them from bad things. I think there is always a place for more books like that.

I love the emoticon too Pickle :)

btw I Liked all your posts but they aren't showing on the posts.

if you really CANT say no to her

then say you will let her read it when its ready

then send it BEFORE you show her

that will prob worry you but at least it will get sent xxxx

thank you Walker :)

sorry I can't like your post I've run out.

I will try really hard to say no but that sounds like a good plan if I can't do it

Hey, that's great news Emma! If your book gets published I wonder if it would be available for us from other countries. And I agree that you can say no to your parents. I tried to write a book when I was a teenager so I know how pressuring it can be to let someone you know read it. Best of luck and keep us updated!

Aww Threemoons :') That's so sweet of you to think about buying it! Thank you :')

I don't have a contract yet though so there's a very good chance it won't happen.

Publishers usually give the writer free copies (it could be just 1 or 2 or it could be 20!) and I would be very happy to send a copy to you if you really want one.

I don't think they ship to every country as I've seen the list and it's not hugely long but they do ship to a lot of countries. But if your country isn't on there that wouldn't be a problem because I'll ask them to send it to me and then I'll post it on to you.

But it's at such an early stage. Sometimes a writer can be given a contract and paid for the book and it still doesn't get published.

Archived