Mental Health Forums

Thinking Of Learning To Play An Instrument....anyone Play Violin?

angel tears

Hi

I have always liked the sound of the violin but i have never had a go at learning it. I have tried guitar, drums and saxaphone before and had some success self teaching. Just wondering what is the violin like to learn and what size do you play?.

Angel xxxx

hi angel i admire your positiveness, i haven't a clue about the violin but i did try the guitar wasn't very successful though, but how rewarding would it be to be able to play such a beautiful instrument, i think best thing is to visit your local musical instrument shop they may have more of an idea and also may be able to put you in touch with a teacher ... i wish you luck ....x

(((angel)))..........I'm on the fiddle.xxx It is a beautiful instrument...........It isn't one of the easiest instruments to learn but not impossible, as an adult, and it is a very sociable instrument if you can master it enough for playing in groups, orchestras..............Maybe in your area you might be able to find a hire centre, and for an adult you would need a full size violin.xxx

If you would like to chat further about this, PM me if you'd like.xxx It's good to have a teacher in the beginning IMO........someone who is experienced with adult beginners and has passion.xxx Group lessons can be fun too.xxx

Also, try searching online for adult tuition in your local area. My county runs music groups for adults as well as kids and some of these allow you to learn as you play in a group setting. I used to teach such a group for wind instruments and one of my members was a 73 year old man who wanted to learn the bassoon completely from scratch!! Just goes to show anyone can learn if they want to :)

You might also be able to get cheaper instrument hire through your county like this, especially if you are in one of their groups. If group sessions aren't for you, they'd also have a list of reputable teachers for 1:1.

Good luck, may your musical journey begin happily!

Lol Dice I know what u mean there!! :) Wow the harp sounds different, looks scary to me!!, well done there!!! I will have a look around and see what's available to me in my area. I am going to start with something lower priced first if I buy one. If I get on with it I will get a better one xxx

I studied music at a conservatoire in London for 4 years, it was essentially a music degree where I studied piano to the highest level. If it wasn't for my bpd symptoms I would be out there performing and making a living from it. However I still play to myself and do lots of listening which brings me great comfort and at the moment it's the only thing keeping me sane and giving me a reason to live. Music is a very therapeutic practise and can open up doors in your mind you never had access to before. It gives life meaning, depth and purpose, and to me it gives a whole new perspective on the world. Life is sacred and special and music can unlock the positive thoughts in our mind hidden by the negatives

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Karl you are a talented person :), well done for achieving that, I totally agree with you there. Music is sacred and special, it's made my life and saved it too. I love singing and expressing myself through it. Music is a precious gift. Xxx

• 4 weeks later...

Yes you would play a full size violin.

I got my cello from a music shop. They had instruments available to buy or hire. I had the choice of renting a cello for 3 months or 6 months and when that time came to an end I would have the option of buying it for 75% of the retail price.

I decided to buy a cello instead and I haven't regretted it. I really love it. But if I hadn't liked it there was some kind of option where they would take it back after a certain amount of time if I didn't like it.

I don't have lessons and I'm progressing really fast, I'm about Grade 2 after 3 months but I'm playing harder music as well. But I played the viola and got Grade 1 and 2 so that gave me an advantage. It would probably be more difficult if you don't play a stringed instrument already. But often with music lessons you have to wait for the start of the next term so there's no reason why you couldn't buy a violin now, have some fun with it on your own and see if you want/need lessons.

If you go to a music centre and look at the noticeboard or look in the paper or something you might be able to find second hand violins sold quite cheaply. Lots of people will get new violins as they progress and then sell the old ones. With my cello I had the choice of a beginners, intermediate, advanced level or professional cello. The beginners ones were cheaper but I decided to go for an intermediate instrument. So you might be able to get someone's old beginners or intermediate violin.

Archived