Mental Health Forums

Today. Coins/ Volunteering.

mr potato

I offered to volunteer today at a local political party.

However I declined last minute, because of anxiety. I was anxious that I would be treated poorly.

I have had experience of volunteering, and sometimes the boss can be rude and mean.

Also, I have run out of money, because my benefits have stopped.

Why should I help the parties if they refuse to pay me?

And I am experiencing annoying symptoms.

And it is cold outside.

In the case for the volunteering, I would have got some exercise, and met some new people.

But I can't help feeling that I would be let down.

Sometimes this condition does not allow me to stick up for myself.

I am working on that.

So I am going to stay in.

I am going to clean and polish some coins, and then sell them.

First I will eat some food.

Hiya Mr. I'm probably a mile off being correct, but doesn't cleaning them detract from their value? please write back and tell me if im wrong, I'm interested in this .

Thanks.

Most coins have no value. There are rare coins, which attract high values, but these generally are in un-naturally good condition and over 200 years old.

Most people's coin collection has absolutely no value. Cleaning and polishing them is a way to enhance an ordinary historical coin.

I have about 50-100 British coins, ranging from George V - Elizabeth II. I started collecting pennies, but also have some other coins, notably the Elizabeth II threepence. This coin is particularly attractive when polished.

I have some half-crowns, which I am going to look at today.

Half-crowns, and crowns used to be silver until about 1953, where they changed to cupro-nickel.

It really is a fascinating hobby, and now is a great time to start. It is a buyers market. You can pick large amount of stock for low prices.

In Britain there are official publications such as Spink, which advises against coin treatment.

Coin collecting is also very popular in the USA, where publications by Whitman are very popular.

Thanks for replying :) It sounds like something I could enjoy doing, especially as I don't go fishing as much as I used to, due to my health. I am going to google the subject, maybe I can start a new hobby .

I guess being British, I'd find it easier to find British coins, although I'd love to get my hands on an American silver dollar. My wife has some really old silver thepenny bits which she has offered to me to start off my collection. Looks like I'm a numismatist now :) Thank you so much for the inspiration.

I got a letter from a city museum. It is about a prospective volunteering day. But you know what, I am sick of it. I spent last year volunteering, and it has not helped me find a job. It was actually pretty hard work.

I just want a local job which I can focus on. I would just be happy working in the library or a supermarket if I am honest.

Hey John.

How is the coin collecting going? I can offer you some tips - just ask.

As for me:

I have been polishing some more today. Really liking these crowns and half-crowns. Nice big coin.

I may buy some more, may actually splash out and get some silver.

Other than that, pretty quiet.

Archived