Mental Health Forums

Self Soothing Kit

Humblegrub

Hi Humble

I am doing a self soothing kit, I just need to get something to put my stuff in it before Monday, It was my therapists idea that I do this.

I am doing my 5 senses which are....

Taste - Chocolate (Kit Kat)

Sight - Photograph.

Touch - Teddy bear

Smell - Air freshener that smells of berries

Hear - Ipod, Took me 6 hours to put music on it but well worth it.

I think this is a really good idea Humble as I have been a self harmer for a number of years and I do really want to stop so if I get the urge I can now use my kit. If you do this good luck :) xxx

Basically it's a kit you put together that distracts you or makes you feel different emotions. I've been surfing google for ideas but the general idea is to try and include things that appeal to all 5 senses. I'm putting things in like herbal teas. A pebble to ground me and play with. Chocolate cos of those serotonin chemicals it releases hehe. Candle for meditation or creating a calm space a doodle pad strictly for doodles and not words. Insence etc give it a go. I'm not convinced this will work forever but if it makes you happy even for a little while then it's worth it xxx

I have been helping my niece make one and she included emergency #'s and letter from people who have said really nice things that make her feel good about herself.

Sounds like a wonderful idea except I would need one every night!!!. Am struggling right now myself. Will look at something nice that I can do xxx

I found its good to experiment with soothing things to see what works for you.......

A different but mostly same idea is an emergency or crisis kit in which youd also add distracting things, emergency meds, phonenumbers, crisisplan, helpful therapy sheets etc.

I made one today as a distraction technique, mine has a lot more than 5 items in though! I have:

Cheerful pencils (they're actually called that)

Paper for writing, drawing, scribbling, whatever I need.

Chocolate (I need to add this because the shop was closed)

A couple of painkillers for stress headaches/crying headaches

£3 for a small purchase like nail polish, sweets, whatever.

Mementos from nice days out I've had

My BPD book

Red pen and rubber bands

Tissues!

Scented tealight

The list of 153 things to do, slightly amended

Bubblewrap!

Coloured post-its because I like them

A hot chocolate sachet and a couple of teabags

A nice beaded brooch I was given, in the shape of a seahorse

I'll probably add even more, I don't know how to be minimalist ;P

this is a good idea I wish I had money to actually make one of these lol I do like to self soothe anyways though...I'm never good at choosing just 5 things though so here are some random things I would think about putting in:

1. sketchbook is a must- tiny ones are better because you can carry them around places like on transit

2.glitter

3. epsons salts for a bath (I always keep these on hand cuz they help with muscle pain)

4. herbal tea or regular tea that is delicious

5.planet earth or some other nature documentary

6. comedies of some sort

7. candles or inscence

8. my tiny pig

9. a photo of my friend who passed away (that ones kind of sad, but sometimes it comforts me to remember the friendship we had when i lose faith in people)

10. some peanuts or something to feed the squirrels

11. a list of good articles to read, ted talks etc cuz sometimes I find it helpful to get perspective to hear inspiring stories and such

12. tarot cards (I find that I don't even care whether or not tarot is 'real' I just like that usually the messages have some sort of validation in them at some point so when I'm not feeling validated by my peers at least I feel I am getting validation from the spiritual realm even if it is or is not actually there lol...can you tell I'm agnostic from the way I described that? lolol)

13. one of those squishy balls or fun dollar store toy

14. nail polish- preferably glittery lol

15. chocolate or those blue candies with the sugary stuff on them cuz blue candy is the best candy lol

and I could probably go on and on cuz I too am no minimalist lolol

It turns out that right now I tend to use the tissues, elastic bands, and chocolate and hot chocolate most. I did use the bubble wrap, candle and paper once, and the £3 to buy cheese for endless cheese on toast because it's the only thing I'll eat right now. (I'm a vegan but when I'm ill, all that can go die because if all I can stomach is chocolate and cheese, that's what I'm damn well eating. Better than eating nothing, which is my next option.)

Archived