Mental Health Forums

Ladies In Late Forties And Above

successful_workthru

This post is for ladies in their late forties and above.

What you think is mental illness may well be hormone related, so please check your hormones out first.

If you are suffering anxiety, depression, hot flushes etc etc, these symptoms could be hormonal, and easily mistaken for worsening mental health, or our mental health meds going wrong.

I thought i was in withdrawal from my psych meds because I was sweating and getting anxious and depressed. I had my bloods checked at the doctor and told her what symptmos I was getting and it was found that i was peri-menopausal. I am due to start HRT today.

If I had not checked my hormones, I could have changed my psych meds for no reason, they are currently working for me as I need them to.

One of my friends has just come out of psych hospital after a 'breakdown', she is having the same sx as me, but has not investigated her hormones, and instead changed a psych med which was working for her. I have also asked her to get her hormones checked, it is well worth it.

This forum menopausematters.co.uk is an excellent forum.

Lots of women there thought they had normal mental illness until they checked their hormones and found it to be meno.

(((successful_workthru))).....This is very thoughtful of you to bring this up..........and so important to consider and have checked out and weighed up all the symptoms peri and meno bring into the mix...............I'm not very clear headed just now.............too many emotions flying around, misbehaving themselves and being a bit unruly..........Gosh, I so wish my status quo could be attributed to normal mature female hormonals..............It's good you have had yourself checked out (((SW))).........aren't the sweats just too damn awful.........and as for worsening or anxiety, depression etc.........yes I think the hormone changes can definitely aggravate existing states..................I hope HRT works for you............my Doc wouldn't give me it a few years ago.............He said without it, I would be over it sooner :stun: ............I think it really helps with moods especially..............Thanks again for highlighting, cos it is important..............Pickles.xxx

I'd like to contribute to this topic as I think it's important information for us girls of a certain age ... and when I'm feeling a little better I will definitely reply to this post .... xox

Hi Pickles and Jelly Bean

It's the reason I have been feeling really anxious and depressed.

I thought I was still in withdrawal from valium, but I am not suffering any w/d symptoms at the moment.

I have just started HRT today.

Can't wait for it to kick in.

Archived