Mental Health Forums

Fibromyalgia

lonelyheartemma

Not really mental health but not really anything else either.

My GP thinks I have fibromyalgia and has referred me to a rheumatologist. I'm happy. It's been obvious for a while that I had other diagnosed problems so I'm happy I might soon be able to put a name to one of them.

It's not all good news because it's a very difficult condition to live with (though I have been living with it already) but it's so good to have a doctor who believes I'm in pain and wants to help me.

hey good luck

i have fibro

dr will ask u lots of questions and do a pressure point test

and will also do bloods to rule out other condituins

the rheumy just dx me then that was it.

tbh i was disaopointed with outcome but at least u will have a name to your condition.

goon fibromyalgia association web site lots of help there and i used to b a volunteer for the site. ops dont know if im ment to say that here.

best treatment is pacing and learning to listen to your body.

tbh im not sure pain meds help i tried them all but try them if u advised.

its finding what helps u.

good luck xxr

I've survived long waiting lists before.

How did you do that? I ask it because I'm currently waiting and it kills me, I don't succeed in keeping busy all the day long. What were you doing?

Thank you Steve :) It's nice of you to say that. Although my doctor has to do the real work I do feel like I had to work very hard to convince her.

Thank you Emo. I did the pressure point test, that helped convince the doctor, along with all my medical records that showed I'd been displaying various symptoms for years. I've had some blood tests done but not all as she didn't give me all the right blood forms. I'm having the rest done on Monday but she is referring me anyway.

That does sound disappointing that they just discharged you :( But the list of possible treatments has lots of treatments I can try either on my own or with the doctor's help so atm I do feel like there's some hope even if they do discharge me straight away. It sounds like it's different for everyone. The painkillers I am on are helpful, often they just reduce the pain but that's better than nothing, But 'fibromyalgia' is a much nicer word than 'hypochondria', much more validating! And now I feel better about pacing myself physically because I have a real medical reason for it. I have lots of medical conditions but because lots of people experience them to an extent, it's difficult for people to accept that it can actually be quite debilitating. I think fibromyalgia will be more easily accepted. Well I hope so. Thank you, I was thinking about joining a fibromyalgia site :)

Threemoons I don't know how I survived. I'm sorry, that isn't very helpful. I just know I must have done it because I've wanted a therapist for years and now I've finally got one. I think coming on here helped, knowing it was possible to get therapy (though for a long time I doubted I'd get it), knowing there were people here I could talk to and learn from and just enjoy talking to. My imagination helped me because I can imagine having people who support me. When I had setbacks like when the CMHT discharged me I looked at what had gone wrong and what I could say when I was rereferred to avoid the same thing happening again.

Archived