Mental Health Forums

New Job And Walking Club

Data

New job

My new job this week has been good. I have my own office! And the coffee is free. Its a demanding job, with a lot of learning involved. My trainer is a bit overbearing at times, but he is confident and competent, and I think we are getting on well. Next week I have 1-2 days of one-to-one training, a man is coming especially from another part of the country to teach me the company's software. And we have a staff meeting every Friday, its informal with cakes and we have a laugh. I did feel a bit awkward there and I did contradict the director when we were discussing something about other countries in the world and bank holidays, I found out after that I was wrong and he was right, but I don't think it mattered.

I have to learn an 87 page book on Monday, but I've already skimmed through it and I don't need to know it all, so I should be ok. I got a bit of a minor telling off on Friday because I didn't know the content that well, but that is why I have a supervisor - to keep me on the right track. I am learning to cope with criticism.

I have a week of residential training in December, which I am not looking forward to, but I am more confident now. Its things like team building and relationships and stress management and planning and communication and presentation skills.

We have an hour for lunch and I've discovered a canal area which is interesting to stroll in.

We all chat on Skype about technical things and I mostly leave that alone as I am a newbie and my job is a bit different from the rest of them (they are software developers and I am more an artificial intelligence researcher). However, one of my colleagues from Scandinavia chatted to me yesterday and introduced himself, he wanted to make sure I was settling in and if I had any questions. Our chat ended because he had ordered 3 pizzas and they arrived!

One of the company's directors came to see me in my office and told me he has high hopes for my research project, and that they might send me to Scandinavia - expenses paid of course - to visit the other site.

This job is what I was meant to do. It feels like it is made for me. Its challenging and interesting!

Swimming

I am obese/unfit so I decided to try swimming. The computer was broken so they let me in for free! And I did 24 lengths. When I came in, the pool was quiet; when I left at around 9.50pm I was the only one in the pool. I got chatting to another bloke and he was really interesting! He retired early and I suggested he was a bit like Victor Meldrew, which fortunately he took well.

Walking club

My walking club met today. I formed it on meetup.com as they were having a half-price offer. We did about 3 miles of hilly walking in a historic area with lots of scenery, woodland, a stream, forest, and even a field of goats.

We met in the car park because it was a neutral place. One person asked me "how long has this club been going" and I said "this is the first meeting" :).

So I had 6 other strangers join me for a walk. And I've had positive feedback! One person said:

"pretty area, good length for a walk, weather was beautiful, and good company."

Hi Data :-)

Just wanted to say I read your post and am so pleased things are going well for you at present. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of new things, but coping - so I hope you feel proud of yourself and that it continues from here and just gets even better as you get more used to your new job and other activities. It really is lovely to hear that things can go well for us too - so thank you for sharing xXx

What a huge turn around to where you were when you first came. It is really encouraging to watch your progress into a happy life.

This job sounds like a real "shoe in" nice :) Pool time is always good in my book, goes without saying (well done on the 24 lengths). This walking club, is it the one you started yourself as a meet up? Thanks for updating us with your happy news I hope all continues to go well.

Data I am really pleased that things are going well for you especially in your new job, Swimming is something I might start doing too. xx

Wow well done data its good to read your possitive thread

good luck with new job and swimming and well done sarting a walking club.

Excellent

Emo xx

good to hear about ur new job. Hope it works out well. Just make sure u don't get ahead of uself lol on going to scadinvia, just keep family informed lol

But good job x

• 2 months later...

Brilliant, well done! Love that you have been so pro-active with setting up the walking club, that's an inspiration in itself.

I go walking every night, early evening, about three miles, and have been amazed how much it helps me on a mental health level.

Your post has got me thinking that maybe walking in a group sometimes might be a good idea too, especially for the social side of things.

Hope your job goes well!

Well done to you too Safiya :) I'm glad walking is working for you. I used to walk a mile a day which I think helped but it was a mixed experience because my mum insisted on going with me.

Yes, it definitely helps, I find.

If I miss a day or two of going for a walk I start feeling like I need one, I can get irritable and a bit twitchy but that may be because I am stuck in the house for a lot of the day.

Glad walking helped you too lonelyheartemma.

Thanks for the encouragement Safiya and Emma.

Emma - you really need to try and break away from your mums control! I know what it is to have an overbearing mother, mine ruined my childhood.

Archived