Mental Health Forums

Bipolar - How Do You Tell The Difference Between Mania & Happiness?

Slipcore

I'm relatively newly diagnosed with Bipolar 1. I've noticed that when I get manic, I can't tell if I'm actually happy or just manic. Is there a way to differentiate? I've started to just be wary of any positive feelings I have because honestly, I've never actually felt like I was truly happy & not just manic. It feels so right when I'm in it & I have sworn many times that I am actually happy but then the depression comes afterward & I know I was just manic. I always feel like it was too good to be true. Help!

I feel like that to. Im waiting to see a psych for a 'proper' dx.

But for me i do know the difference and luckily can spot the early warnings - well not that it changes anything !

Maybe because im in my late 40s and been this way for many yrs i can tell whats normal happiness and whats mania tho my dr thinks i have hypomania (cyclothmia).

For me the diff is i cant sleep and all i want to do is be creative which ok is good but not to the extent my mind cant stop with thoughts everything feels good but better than good everything is speeded up kind of feeling and i feel agitated and like wound up cos no one can keep up with me ! I talk alot get really motivated then suddenly im in a blackness very quickly.

Yeah, maybe I just need to have some more experience with it. I'm *only* 35. ;) But have only been dealing with this for about a year. Dx was in November 2012. Thanks for your reply. :)

Archived