Mental Health Forums

Did/mpd/voices/dissociation And Being Employed?

LottieLou

Yes i have d.i.d and work.

Theres no problem for us unless theres a trigger

but the job i do is not working with public so its not a problem often as i work from home.

Have worked in public sector a while ago and it was very triggering.

any question in particular you want answering ?

Hi Lottielou and Morethanme.

Lottielou > I was diagnosed with a dissociative disorder but now my new psychiatrist seems to think more about a psychotic condition controlled by the meds. I worked one year for a shop and it was difficult, I couldn't do well the relation with the customers. Now I target a job that is less involved with public.

Morethanme > What job are you doing? (You can answer by PM if you prefer.)

I'm not diagnosed with anything officially but have very high dissociation. I lose a lot of time. I'll find out I've already finished something, or forget to do things that I do every day. Certain things are triggering, and I can easily go into very different moods for seemingly no reason at all.

I worked retail for several years, and as a server in a restaurant, and did horribly. I may have BPD as well, I think I do. It was very hard to not take things personally, any time a customer was upset I got very defensive or irritated with them.

Now I'm a cook and hardly deal with anyone at all. I listen to music to help me keep track of time (hard to zonk out when you're listening to a song), and I have to write a to do list for everything I have to do every day and cross it off as I go or I forget to do things. I still lose time so much that I'll end up somewhere and not know what I was doing dozens of times a day, so I'll often walk around the kitchen going "going to get potatoes, gotta chop potatoes, doo doo doo potatoes"...I try to make it look like I'm singing a song about it and that I'm cheerful.

My job is actually pretty great for my symptoms, if I get irritated it's never to a customer, it's a reaction to what the server tells me the customer said, and I always tell them, "well, I can't shoot the messenger", and I'm too busy to go talk to the customer myself, so I just go "ugh! some people always have to complain" , and it's getting better.

Hi everyone, I'm just asking really because I have bpd and I dissociate and I'm sure (and my old therapist is sure) that I have DID/MPD Too although It hasn't been formally disgnosed. I struggle with day to day life and live very much moment to moment and don't do well with deadlines/responsibility/etc as I like u all seem to experience I loose time and often end up in other places/bought weird things/strange behaviour so although some people want me to get a job (and I really do want one) I struggle to see how I could make it work :-(

Hey maybe at this moment it is.not the right time.

Thats not to say in time you cant feel strong enough. Obviously whilst u dissociating alot its difficult to work but thats not to say

u will never work.

I work it can b challenging but not impossible.

Take care

emo x

Archived