Mental Health Forums

Yes! Go Me! :d A Big Step.

piercepd

Part of my problems are that I have great difficulty talking to people, especially on the phone. I also have huge difficulty in letting people down & doing what's in my best interests, rather than what'll please them.

I auditioned for a role in a show last month & (& I say this honestly & not trying to "big myself up" [that's hardly something I'm great at! {ooh, double, no, triple brackets!}]) due to backstage politics that I'll not go into, I lost out & was offered a far smaller part. I'm not being paranoid, the reasons have been directly made clear to me. So after consideration & taking advice, I made the decision to pull out as really, at this stage in my career, it was beneath me anyway & I was only doing the lead to keep my CV current & full (I'm so sorry, this sounds so big-headed!!)

But of course, as many of you will understand, making the actual phonecall (which I had to do myself as my agent is in the US atm & my manager is ill, lazy bastards!) to pull out & let them down was a huge thing that I've been dreading for 3 weeks. Rehearsals start on Monday.

But I did it!! I just made the call!! Explained very nicely that I'd been offered paid work that clashed with rehearsals & the show & that as this was an unpaid show & I was only a small role, I felt I had to take the work & that I'd rather pull out now than mess them about at a later date.

Got off the phone shaking (& still am) BUT I DID IT!!!!

Off now to deposit in the hug bank :D

:masked::masked::bigarmhug[1]::bigarmhug[1]::sm.jpg::bigarmhug[1]::bigarmhug[1]::masked::masked:

Wow go you....you rocked and kicked ass

well done on your achievement

oh and its not big headed to not want a part that you know youare better at.

Coolio

Wow go you....you rocked and kicked ass

well done on your achievement

oh and its not big headed to not want a part that you know youare better at.

Coolio

Agree! And to stand for your own interests is not being big headed is a great achievement. It's part of the base for recovery. You're taking care of yourself and that is great.

Congrats ;-)

xxxx

Thanks for the nice replies, guys (ooh, rhyming!) still up, still flying a bit (albeit back in the earth's atmosphere) & in a chirpy place. :)

Yayyy you. I hope you can remember this feeling as it can help you next time you want to look out for your own interests :)

Well done, you did so well :)

You're not big headed, I think it's really good you know your own standards and what's best for your career. I think for a lot of people it would be so easy to let something like this knock them back but you didn't. And any kind of 'politics' are always worth avoiding if at all possible. I was in a drama group based at a theatre, also in the drama group was the theatre manager and his assistant. It was...awkward.

Thanks, you three. :) The pleased with self has stuck with me & seems to be powering other elements of life & standing up to people too, woohoo!!! :D

Yeah, fucking internal politics, I hate people!

Archived