Mental Health Forums

Is This Ocd ?

berenger

At the moment i have a compelling urge to buy books. I wake up everyday and my first thought is are any new books being delivered today or if i can go anywhere to look for some. I have piles and piles of books and its got ridiculous. I don't feel well if i can't get books or if they don't arrive on time in the post.

Also, i have a girlfriend but i have made it so we meet only every 3rd day. She reluctantly agrees with this. I feel rotten being so structured about it but i find having ordered routine very helpful.

Some people have suggested to me, including a counsellor, that i may have traits of ocd. Have i ?. How do i go about finding out ?

• 6 months later...

I have severe OCD it's in everything I do I won't eat certain foods I wash my hair 12 times and wash myself repeatedly I rinse a cup out maybe 12 times as well, nighttime is the worst I have so many rituals before I go to bed. Do u have a psychiatrist? You can ask to be accessed usually though OCD is very obvious to those around u and to get a dx is has to significantly impact on ur life. I know this is an old post I hope you got some help

• 2 months later...

My bedroom is piled up with books, I keep buying them. I feel the most intense desire to buy more books. I could never read them all but I just have to have them!

I dont know if its OCD related.

When reading your post it occured to me it could also be a kind of addiction; getting a rush from aquiering certain things.In your case books.Then the rush fades and so you need to keep buying to keep getting the rush.

• 4 weeks later...

OCD is more about what will happen if you don't buy the books, will something bad happen are the thoughts intrusive? If I don't complete my rituals my anxiety is so high I can't cope I have to carry them out otherwise I get intrusive thoughts that bad stuff can happen. If you enjoy buying them then it isn't OCD it's as lily bee says it could be a form of addiction or you just like it x

Archived