Mental Health Forums

Article On Attachments

Hellogoodbye

About the subconscious mind seeking out what you consciously try to avoid. (I don't know much--or perhaps anything about Freud, but it sounds possibly quite like his theory?) I admit I found this article pretty mindblowing just now. Have any of you seen it? What do you think? It sounds to me that is is something everyone with BPD does, but (as the article says), everyone else in some way, too. Just probably not as intense. And my question is, why does the article say this is not commonly addressed in today's mainstream psychotherapy? Anyone? Is it because it might not always be true? Or because people would object to it, because they are probably not aware, thus the possibility of hampering treatment? I was really unsure of where to put this, but it could also go in relationships, but it is also a general mental health topic!

bpd is known to be an 'attachment disorder'

and so far as we are aware psychologists are VERY aware of these issues as they are at the core of so much mental illness

the way forward surely is to recognise our own unhealthy attachments (on a DEEP level inside) and make new 'healthy' attachments,

and that takes a long time and involves building up a lot of trust with whoever

remember the article is advertising something - so it is biased towards them having the 'answer' and others not

attachment theory is a massive area in psychology

not the same kind of stuff as the article you refer to

but also adds to self understanding

knowing about attachment theory has been a big deal for me

it extends to systems theory, family therapy, couples therapy, organisational analysis

and also internal family systems therapy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_theory

it can take the sting out of self blame with relationships by giving explanations

and knowledge means you can work with whats there

even if you cant change it, you can work around it

What a coincidence that I clicked on this post. I am currently in therapy (diagnosed BPD) with someone in Toronto, Ontario, Canada who uses Berglerian (Edmund Bergler) psychology/techniques to treat neuroses (and in BPD cases it is a severe case)! I can say after a long history of therapy with psychiatrists, psychologists etc. that Bergler has hit the nail on the head. If you bring it up with a psychiatrist he/she will either dismiss it as b.s. or say they've never heard of Bergler. I am a firm believer that your unconscious controls you, not the other way around. Bergler's works have helped me immensely in my journey to overcome this state of being.

P.S. I am not trying to sell, I have nothing to gain, other than perhaps helping those of you who are suffering with this disorder may want to read Bergler's books and gain a better understanding of why they are suffering the way they are.

Archived