Mental Health Forums

Good Day, Good Times

maddy harper

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We did have a nice relaxing day yesterday as it goes. :) found another flute scale. The scale possibilities seem endless on my silver flute. Think its cause it has sharps and flats thats probably why. it also has keys which make it easyer to play n some ways but harder in others. I love it. It was a christmas present to my self for stopping perdging for almost three years. Man thats mental i havent perdgd in so long. Well done me!

What kinda flutes do you have three moons and what they made out of? I have my metal one as you know. A keyless rosewood flute. A keyless ebony polimer flute and a keyless crystal flute. Do u think i have enough flutes? Lol

Hehehe, Maddy. I had a plastic flute, one of those they make for scholars. It's the instrument we learnt at school before the National Education decided that there would be only music analysis and singing. What a stupid decision! Namely because playing was too hard for some pupils... What about those who couldn't sing but played well? >_<

Does your flute have keys three moons or holes that u cover over with your finger tips? Do you have to blow across it like a metal flute or down it like a recorder? Sorry for all the questions. :)

Sadly I don't have it anymore, passed it to my little sister for school and don't remember what she did with it. Will try to ask her if it's still with her. It had no keys, only holes that you cover with your fingers. It's the most simple and basic since it's designed for scholars who never played any instrument before. You have to blow air through it but it's much less hard than blowing into a clarinet for example. I felt almost no resistance. That's what I liked, I could play melodies without much effort so I took great pleasure. Are the metal ones harder to play?

a wooden flute with holes maybe easyer to play for you so you get your mouth shape back then you can progress to a metal flute much easyer after that. Thats what i found in my own experience. If i hadnt started on a irish keyless flute furst i would have never been able to play the metal one.

have a look online for wooden irish keyless flutes for sail i think you would enjoy it. My one is rosewood and it only was 40 £ it has a lovely husky round sound to it and its great fun to play as it just has holes you have to blow across it to get the sound out like a metal one.

I've just looked and have no idea how you must blow in these, Maddy. Mine had a mouth piece at the beginning of the instrument and you hold it in straight line in front of yourself. If you have someone who can describe you the pic one day, search for "flûte scolaire". When I have the chance to get a new one I'll record some melody with it and post it so you can hear the difference.

I have a clarinet to sell also, it's old and I have to clean and polish it but it should still be good for a beginner. I'm waiting to move towns a bit later this month for searching a buyer.

mmm i love the sound of those. They are so warm and ritch soundin :) the keyless flutes u have to blow across sideways like a metal one.

Thanks for teaching me the English name of it, Walker. We also learnt to play them at school in France but the government has decided that it was too complicated for some pupils so teachers currently don't teach it anymore, which is a shame.

Maddy, is it a lot more complicated to blow sideway than to blow in a recorder flute? I would like to try one like yours.

once you get the mouth shape right you can play them all day because they are really light to hold. The hardest notes are the lowest ones you play them from right to left. So its not like a recorder at all. I love wooden recorders. I have a little wooden one but i would like a wooden tennor one which is in d. My small one is in c

threemoons

you can buy a cheap plastic fife - that is played sideways and uses the flute embouchure (way you hold your mouth)

my daughter has taught whole classes the fife using these and then moving children on to the flute

its just a cheaper way to give it a try although school level instruments are not usually the easiest to learn on!!

also you can practise by blowing over the top of bottles, that is a similar technique and costs nothing!!

if you change the amount of water in the bottle, it will change the note

Thank you both, I will have a look at it.

Maddy, in France we don't call notes by a letter (C, D...), they have a proper name, which is why I have to use a converter to understand your posts. I learnt the equivalents when I was playing the clarinet but I've forgotten. lol

oops sorry three moons. Didnt know. had a fiew visitors when i got back yesterday which helpped me ajust to my house again with out to much shock which was nice.

Nothing to be sorry about, Maddy. There's plenty of free websites with the notes equivalence written on them.

I'm happy that people helped you adjust to your home. How has been the day?

spent much of yesterday sleeping. Bitween visitors again. I have been missed it looks like. sorted out my dread locks this morning so i am happy with the result :) i have to put special wax through the dreads to help them bond together and keep their shape. Only have to do that once every two and a half weeks.

my friend baught me a replacement pen for the pigs to run about in. I left my pen at his house n only remembered it hadnt been packed when we were half way home to mine..-its a much better shape than my other one the new one is. i am really pleased with it. The pigs love it too. good day all round

Archived