Mental Health Forums

Eating Disorder/body Image Recovery Step

CrippleAndStarfish

Soooo. It's been long overdue, but I tackled my wardrobe today...well, yesterday.

There were a few items that I found are a little too big for me. I still got a tiny kick out of this, but recognised it for what it is, and let it go.

There were more that are now too small for me. This was a little harder, I kept having to turn the mind, it did begin to drag and at one point I let myself go off down that tangent for a few minutes, but then brought myself back.

I was able to try each item of clothing on, and stand in front of a full-length mirror. I could observe and describe, and while there were some judgements attached to what I was seeing, I was able to notice them, and let them go without becoming emotionally vulnerable to them.

I could see that some jeans hugged my hips tighter than was flattering, and I've noticed that a few bras really highlight the fact that i have wonky boobs lol.

Some tops made me look like I was really bloated and shapeless, and one skirt in particular shocked me - it actually pulls my bum down flat so it looks like I just have a back, and then my legs lol!!

I could observe all of these things, and I actually got thru my whole wardrobe and decluttered, I bagged up anything that didnt make me feel beautiful, with the exception of a pair of jeans for scruffs, a few tshirts for the same reason, and a few items of clothing with pretty fabrics to go in my fabric bin for crafting.

I thought I would feel exhausted, drained, and a bit battered from it, but the opposite was true.

The bath I was preparing with a bar of chocolate as a self-soothe thing, instead became a treat, a reward, as I felt, and still do feel, amazing for it!

I'm actually proud of myself. All of these things which may be small or even nothing to some, are big deals to me, and big indicators of my recovery progress.

*does a happy dance*

Xxxx

Yay that's cool

E did that a while ago too.

It's cool to get rid of trash from the past.

Reminders and crap

Cool Suzy

Andy

Oh and what choc was it ?

• 2 weeks later...

Aha just finally gt back on, sorry!

Andy- hey :) it really did feel good! :)& i had galaxy cookie crumble. Lush!! Xx

Archived