Mental Health Forums

Ugh Doctors

lonelyheartemma

I saw a new doctor today. It didn't go well.

I made the appointment because one of the receptionists phoned asking me to make an appointment. I got to my appointment, the doctor had no idea why I was there.

She said I hadn't had a thyroxine test done since October, I had one in December.

She said the other doctor hadn't referred me to a rheumatologist and perhaps she's right but she couldn't even find the note saying I was going to be referred to rheumatology. This should have been in my notes as I saw the other doctor making the note.

She seemed to think I'd invented the rheumatologist as 'people with fibromyalgia aren't referred to rheumatologists.'

She was quite annoyed when she looked in a book for fibromyalgia symptoms and discovered 'refer to rheumatologist' on the list of possible treatments.

She decided I was on too much thyroxine and reduced it even though several doctors have experimented with this more than once and have seen me get really ill as an apparent result.

My mum says it's my fault for looking too young to be taken seriously.

Luckily there are lots of doctors on my surgery (at least 10) so she is now the only doctor on my List of Doctors Not to See Again. (I did have a doctor on that list before but he left the practice 'very suddenly'.)

I walked out of her consulting room, straight over to reception and arranged an appointment with my usual doctor. I'm entitled to a second opinion, aren't I?

yes !!

and its NOTHING to do with whether you look young or not

for fks sake

its about the drs attitude

good for you for making another appointment xx

Yes yoi are entitled to get a 2nd opinion. And that dr is wrong. I was referred tp a rheumatologist to get the dx of fm. Dont give up. You know your body Good luck xx

I totally agree with Walker, it's not your fault for "looking too young". Do you even look too young at all, I wonder. This feels like a way to belittle you in my humble opinion. Was not a nice thing to say to you. Try to ignore it.

You obviously are entitled to a second opinion with your usual doctor. At least he seems to know what to do with your fibromyalgia (refer you to a rheumatologist). Truth is the doctor you saw must have been really annoyed that you knew more on this subject than himself! :P

It's always nice to see you around, not that I'm happy you need this place but you know what I mean. Offering big friendly hugs to you.

Definitely entitled to another opinion, and well done you for being assertive and arranging another appointment. Also that looking too young thing is nuts... hey if you look young that's a GOOD thing in my book!

Thank you for all the support, I was kind of worried I'd overreacted or that I was being unreasonable or something.

I've renamed the doctors A and B for this post as I just read through the paragraph below and it wasn't very clear. Doctor A is the one I saw before, the good doctor. Doctor B is the rubbish one I saw for the first time today.

I was supposed to ask Doctor B to fill in the medical form for the housing register but I didn't trust her to put the right information on it. So I'm going to ask the Doctor A to do that. Doctor A has met me lots of times so she knows me and she knows my body doesn't always behave in the 'expected' way.

Doctor B also demanded that I had another blood test done on Monday. Every other doctor has said 'in the next 3 weeks' which suits me better as I can get the blood test done on the same day as therapy, which is every fortnight but this one says to go on Monday, i.e. the very next working day. I went to therapy on Monday and I still haven't completely recovered physically so I prefer to get my hospital trips done on those days where possible. The rheumatology appts might not fit in with that but I'll worry about what when it happens.

It's nice to see you too Threemoons. The one good thing about this mess is that I get to come and tell my friends all about it :) I'm online less now because I'm doing lots of maths and literature (I'll write about that in Good Day later) and when I do get online I usually have to write up football reports for a Welsh sport website so I'm afraid I've been a bad friend to everyone on here :(

I was going to do some maths at 7.30pm but I was feeling stressed and upset about the doctor but now I've read your replies I feel more in a frame of mind to do my maths so thank you all for helping me feel better xxx

but when I've done my maths I'll come back on here and read some more posts and try to help.

Emma yes you're entitled to a second opinion, What is wrong with looking young for your age? I think that is a good thing.

Also why would the doctor reduce your thyroxine? Have you had recent blood tests done? I am on thyroxine too and the only time I have my thyroxine increased or reduced is if my levels are abnormal. xxx

The levels are slightly abnormal Bubbles but 3 other doctors tried to reduce my thyroxine and I started getting symptoms of underactive thyroid and that made me feel really ill.

But one of the possible treatments of fibromyalgia is increasing thyroxine levels so they are slightly abnormal. So tbh I'd have preferred to keep them as they are till I've seen the rheumatologist.

I did have a recent blood test done but the doctor has no record of the results, the most recent is October.

I don't think I look that young. I'm 22 and I think I look late 20s at least. My sister thinks I look older than her and she's in her late 20s. I wish I did look my age!

(btw the shadow under my arm isn't hair, idk what it is but I shaved before I took the pic)

I'm glad most of them are good Maddy. Maybe every practice has a bad doctor! I hope it's easy for you to avoid seeing the bad one. If I'm ever offered an appointment with the one I don't like I think I'll say "could I see Doctor X instead, she's the one I've seen regularly" and if she's not available I'll ask for another one. I think if I start saying "no I don't want to see her" it's going to make the receptionist feel awkward.

Anyway one of the doctors phoned today. She had no idea I'd asked for a phone appt, she just decided to phone me. But she won't give me my meds either even though I'm getting all the underactive symptoms. She doesn't care about how I feel. She just cares about blood test readings. I suppose it's safer that way. If I die and my thyroid levels are perfect it's not her fault.

Archived