• I don't have a TV but would use one
    • this is a stupid poll !!

prolly a daft question

but i don't have a television

i could have one

but i just wouldn't use it

when i had one it was never on

occasionally there's a documentary

but i watch that stuff on-demand on--the-line (film ref 'the internship')

it felt like time wasting

and i got really bored watching stuff

so i'm just curious to know if i'm just an oddball

or whether its part of bpd

thoughts?

derision?

puns?

Alright mate. I used to watch tv all the time like everyday but now i never watch it. I hate tv i do own one but it is very rearly on maybe the odd program but tv is just boring and depressing lol maybe it is a bpd thing or maybe we can see that the tv is full of shit lol

We have a tv in each room. We also have sky+, so we just record what we want to watch and watch it at night. I love a good drama, and stuff like dr who, Sherlock, the bridge, elementary , that sort of thing.

I don't have a TV I don't like to spent my free time that way.

But more and more in life I really dislike the way a TV becomes the ornament of a room and takes over all aesthetic appearance it otherwise has. That lack of balance grates, it irritates and agitates me to the point of leaving me in foul mood. The flipside to the foul mood is just feeling that resigned and depressed. And I definitely do not want to live like or get that worked up about it.

If I want to watch Sherlock or something like that a few times a year, I just watch it online when it comes out.

I get triggered by it (envy), used to watch it a lot when depressed. I now tend to use it mostly to play my PS3 through and to play videos I stream off the net.

I don't know which option to choose :/

I've never had my own TV but I watch itv player a lot. I've never been a big TV watcher and neither is my mum but I do love itv player. I can watch most channels live on the internet but I prefer itv player as I can watch it anytime (though I have to be a bit careful as not everything goes onto itv player). My parents don't like it if I watch TV instead of eating dinner as a family so itv player is really useful. I can also watch things that are on before I get up like anything before midday.

I don't want an actual TV when I move out because it would just take up space. I'll stick with watching TV on my laptop.

thank you everyone

it really helps to know where i am with this

for me this has been bugging me for a few years

its reassuring to know that i'm not alone with this

and yes, there's an ugliness to a tv with its position and dominance in a room

though its good to know it proves useful for some

may not make sense to folks but this is very reassuring for me

thank you :)

i don't have a tv, haven't had one for years.. but i watch catch up and films on my laptop..takes up less space.. often find myself feeling bored while watching tv, love it when i am really absorbed/engaged in something i enjoy or find meaningfull

xx

hey lalissa :)

completely with you with all of that :)

its great to know i'm not alone with this stuff

and its excellent that you find things that really connect for you :)

i haven't got a TV for 10 years. i thought "enough of alienation". but guess what? i now have internet and i promise you, my index finger is much faster than my thumb. result: alienation not resolved.

xxx

I think the real bpd issue here is to think that everything is a bpd issue.

Loads of people don't like watching all the crap on tv and don't see this as a mental health problem. And lots of people with mental health problems watch tv - not necessarily just for the escapism either, but because they enjoy the programs and/or find them interesting. So the answer is no.

Give it a rest! You are more than your dx.

I'll do the poll though - just for fun.

i get your point Antarctic Leech

my curiosity was due to me being pretty much the only person amongst folks i know that don't have a tv

and it just felt odd. like i was missing something

and i know that that its easy to pathologise things

even bpd is a catch-all/artificial symptom cluster to identify a treatment pathway

and its my attempt to symptom titrate what's characterologically distanced from norm

because i just don't get bored, and i associate tv with boredom rather than apathy

(and that's not an accusation on anyone but a personal/self observation)

and wondered whether being multiple and/or borderline was consequential or not with this

but i guess its not something that's symptomatic of either per se

though perhaps not being bored. ever. may be indicative of a very occupied brain

Ah, I can see the connection now.

True re. boredom. I often feel that I am both bored and not bored at the same time if that makes sense. So bored by the external 'objective' world that I perpetually create my own inner 'subjective' drama.

Interesting I find I don't ever get bored either. I get tired, very tired and need solitude, quiet, rest.

I have been thinking more about the TV thing and how I feel about it. I am not anti-TV, but the level of satisfaction it produces is minimal; like a lot of life for me. Until, I find a target and then I get obsessive, single minded, consumed, which actually feels incredible when I pick it apart in contrast like this.

i can relate to a need for something to meet the internal intensity

and the seemingly, mostly bland, the pedestrian just doesn't connect with the desired depth

that need for connection that is meaningful and specific

which is why it seems folks on here prefer to select and watch via a computer

and i am so very passionate (my take on the obsessive nature)

and love to dive in deep with an idea, a subject

and look for its resonance externally

and that's where tv seems to fall away

though oddly, talk radio - radio 4 - is often much more rewarding

perhaps its not so invasive as it leaves my imagination to fill the images

rather than engulf in image and sound

nothing of any great depth to add.. just that i find this a very interesting topic, tv dominates or at least has a place in so many of our lives.. often it is boring, i think people eat more when they eat and watch tv, i know i do...

i mostly like moody and depressing unusual and foreign films.....!

xx

Archived